What is the best Bama Tune for Autocross - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Droidman86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 50
What is the best Bama Tune for Autocross

I was wondering which Bama tune would be best for autocross? Considering that my local autocross events take place in parking lots where we barely reach 70 mph, which tune would be best?

Street, Performance, Race or other custom tune?

I'll appreciate it if Bama guys could jump in and give their suggestions.
Droidman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Moved to "At the Track"

1st. You reach 70mph at autocross??? Damn, i usually stick around 20-25mph at the events i always go to.

As for your question. I run the race tune because that tune focuses on throttle response and power in the upper rpms. In autocross you always want to be running in those rpms and you really need the throttle response when coming out of a corner.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Droidman86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 50
Thank you for moving it to the correct section.

I agree the average is 25-40 mph and rarely goes over. However, the reason I said 70 was because I have seen it on some autocross videos.
__________________
2012 Mustang 5.0
Steeda CAI, Boss Manifold, 3.73 Gears, E85, NX Wet 150 Shot, AED Tuned, LT Headers, Aluminum Driveshaft, Mcleod Twin Disc Clutch, KB Bap, N2MB wot box w/ window switch.
Droidman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Must've been some badass cornering cars... It seems like all the ones I go to are geared toward small and short wheel based cars like Miatas. But i will generally keep it in 1st or 2nd gear at autocross, out of the ones i've gone to i've never shifted into 3rd. So I run the race tune to keep the power where my rpms are.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidman86 View Post
I was wondering which Bama tune would be best for autocross? Considering that my local autocross events take place in parking lots where we barely reach 70 mph, which tune would be best?

Street, Performance, Race or other custom tune?

I'll appreciate it if Bama guys could jump in and give their suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
As for your question. I run the race tune because that tune focuses on throttle response and power in the upper rpms. In autocross you always want to be running in those rpms and you really need the throttle response when coming out of a corner.
^ I agree with SoccerLuvr. You're going to want to run the 93 Octane Race tune for Auto Crossing. This tune has the most aggressive mid range and top end. It also has the most aggressive throttle response. This will be perfect for coming out of a corner! You'll be at the perfect RPM and the second you hit the throttle you're going to get a great response.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. Best of luck on the course, that's really cool. Mustangs are usually Drag Raced, it's great so see some guys take their Stang to the road course!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
89GTstanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: parsons
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 267
Man I would love to get into auto cross racing or road courses but I dont know of any close to where I live. It sux!! I'm not much of a fan of drag racing either but there are plenty of those tracks around...lol
__________________
You can't lose if you put God first!

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTstanger View Post
Man I would love to get into auto cross racing or road courses but I dont know of any close to where I live. It sux!! I'm not much of a fan of drag racing either but there are plenty of those tracks around...lol
Just go into google and type in "(Insert city, or state) SCCA autocross"
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTstanger View Post
Man I would love to get into auto cross racing or road courses but I dont know of any close to where I live. It sux!! I'm not much of a fan of drag racing either but there are plenty of those tracks around...lol
Local forums should know as well
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

^ I agree with SoccerLuvr. You're going to want to run the 93 Octane Race tune for Auto Crossing. This tune has the most aggressive mid range and top end. It also has the most aggressive throttle response. This will be perfect for coming out of a corner! You'll be at the perfect RPM and the second you hit the throttle you're going to get a great response.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. Best of luck on the course, that's really cool. Mustangs are usually Drag Raced, it's great so see some guys take their Stang to the road course!

-Dan
Dan, just curious but why not the Hybrid tune? It has max power down low, mid and upper RPM's. More powerful than the race tune.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Dan, just curious but why not the Hybrid tune? It has max power down low, mid and upper RPM's. More powerful than the race tune.
The Hybrid tune is also a great option. The Hybrid tune is more of "request" type tune so it sometimes slips my mind! The Hybrid tune has the same top end as the Race tune but has more low end grunt. It does have a lot more torque down low which may not be the greatest for road course driving as it could cause you to spin. However, we have no problem letting the OP try that tune out.

If you'd like to try out the Hybrid tune, just let the Bama team know and they'll gladly hook you up!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

The Hybrid tune is also a great option. The Hybrid tune is more of "request" type tune so it sometimes slips my mind! The Hybrid tune has the same top end as the Race tune but has more low end grunt. It does have a lot more torque down low which may not be the greatest for road course driving as it could cause you to spin. However, we have no problem letting the OP try that tune out.

If you'd like to try out the Hybrid tune, just let the Bama team know and they'll gladly hook you up!

-Dan
10-4 on that. Maybe a bit too much torque down low for autocross. Got ya
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #12
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
10-4 on that. Maybe a bit too much torque down low for autocross. Got ya
Yup. We have no problem making the Street tune a little less aggressive town low if the OP would like to give that tune a shot also. Either way, we'll make sure that the customer has the best tune possible for their driving habits and usage of their Mustang!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Droidman86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 50
I will try autocross first with the race tune. As of right now with the CAI+Tune it is very aggressive, plus next week I'll be installing 3.73 gears and some NIttos to improve the spinning.

If I can handle the power with the Nittos, I'll definitely try the hybrid tune. Thanks!
__________________
2012 Mustang 5.0
Steeda CAI, Boss Manifold, 3.73 Gears, E85, NX Wet 150 Shot, AED Tuned, LT Headers, Aluminum Driveshaft, Mcleod Twin Disc Clutch, KB Bap, N2MB wot box w/ window switch.
Droidman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Droidman86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTstanger View Post
Man I would love to get into auto cross racing or road courses but I dont know of any close to where I live. It sux!! I'm not much of a fan of drag racing either but there are plenty of those tracks around...lol
This is a very helpful site to find events near you, mostly are ROAD RACING events.
Online motorsport event registration for racing, driving and social events
__________________
2012 Mustang 5.0
Steeda CAI, Boss Manifold, 3.73 Gears, E85, NX Wet 150 Shot, AED Tuned, LT Headers, Aluminum Driveshaft, Mcleod Twin Disc Clutch, KB Bap, N2MB wot box w/ window switch.
Droidman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Honestly for autocross the stock power is more than enough. Last autocross I went to there was a guy in a '13 5.0 and he was staying in 3rd gear the entire time!!! I was bogging in 2nd around the course, but in 1st I was too torquey....... There is a reason those miatas do so well at autocross. It's all about suspension.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Droidman86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Honestly for autocross the stock power is more than enough. Last autocross I went to there was a guy in a '13 5.0 and he was staying in 3rd gear the entire time!!! I was bogging in 2nd around the course, but in 1st I was too torquey....... There is a reason those miatas do so well at autocross. It's all about suspension.
I think anyone would get killed in 3rd gear where one spends a lot of time on corners. When entering and turning on corners we would need 1st gear or 2nd if the corner is not too sharp.
__________________
2012 Mustang 5.0
Steeda CAI, Boss Manifold, 3.73 Gears, E85, NX Wet 150 Shot, AED Tuned, LT Headers, Aluminum Driveshaft, Mcleod Twin Disc Clutch, KB Bap, N2MB wot box w/ window switch.
Droidman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidman86 View Post
I think anyone would get killed in 3rd gear where one spends a lot of time on corners. When entering and turning on corners we would need 1st gear or 2nd if the corner is not too sharp.

Yea but when you have 420 horsepower and 390lb-ft of torque at your disposal, give it a tiny bit too much throttle coming out of a corner in 1st or 2nd and your doin a 360.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
What is the best Bama Tune for Autocross

The tracks I usually go to are tighter corners. I can easily get sideways in 2nd gear coming out of those corners too hard. And I only have 270hp and 315tq to the crank
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More Bam Tuner Q's lcseds 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 11 09-15-2013 10:17 PM
Custom vs. Strategy Tune (BAMA SCT) Rynarok AmericanMuscle 63 06-17-2013 10:21 AM
ProCal vs. Bama Tune Joyride 2011-2014 Mustang GT 13 11-02-2012 10:20 AM
Bama tune? HorsePower 1996-2004 Mustang GT 6 07-12-2012 02:07 PM
Bama tune ercolanom1 2011-2014 Mustang GT 36 06-08-2012 10:38 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



11:09 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.