Autocross and track days - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Autocross and track days

So has anyone on here taken there 05-09 v6 to an autocross event or been on a track with it? Seems like it could be fun even with a sixxer just to push the car past street limits. They have some track days here down at Road Atlanta where anyone can bring their car and go around the track with some coaches and then by themselves. Anyone tried anything like this?
45thMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Autox is mostly about weight, not power, so you'd be better off with a V6 and slight suspension mods over a V8 with stock suspension. Look at the fastest autox cars - usually Miatas or S2000s.

I have 6+ years of competitive autox experience. Not a single day in the Mustang yet, although I'm very excited!
Arustik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So what upgrades would you recommend? Lowering springs and sway bars to start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thMustang View Post
So what upgrades would you recommend? Lowering springs and sway bars to start?

First you need to get that rear axle in check. Upgrade to an adjustable panhard bar by Whiteline or BMR, if you really have the cash get a Watts link. Then look into a Torque Arm. After that your gonna want to do the springs.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Decide which class u want to run in...do u want to go against monster trailered in open wheeled cars, or stock! Certain upgrades drop u out of stock class. I would have to research, but I believe bushings, struts (not springs) and certain tires will keep you competitive in stock classes.
But, if ur not looking to place...just upgrade what u want and go have a blast! Run stock until u find the weak points.
Troy
Old 02-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
First you need to get that rear axle in check. Upgrade to an adjustable panhard bar by Whiteline or BMR, if you really have the cash get a Watts link. Then look into a Torque Arm. After that your gonna want to do the springs.
How much does the panhard help if the car isn't lowered?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thMustang View Post
How much does the panhard help if the car isn't lowered?
The panhard bar helps the side to side movement of the axle. Your car already has one stock but it is mediocre at best when it comes to autocross. A new one will really help keep the axle centered. Then the Torque Arm I mentioned combined with some rear lower control arms will help the up and down movement of the axle through cornering. Your car will pretty much squat and go through corners. Both are HUGE when trying to make a live rear axle car handle well.

HID end all thread
Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quick question for someone with a bit more experience than me that relates here...
The oem panhard seems stout enough, but the bracket is very flimsy. My bet would be it would be most beneficial to replace the bracket to help extreme duty cornering, vs the bar itself. Really don't think the oem bar will flex, but the attachment bracket is made of aluminum foil I think!
Troy
Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Quick question for someone with a bit more experience than me that relates here...
The oem panhard seems stout enough, but the bracket is very flimsy. My bet would be it would be most beneficial to replace the bracket to help extreme duty cornering, vs the bar itself. Really don't think the oem bar will flex, but the attachment bracket is made of aluminum foil I think!
Troy
The main reason I suggested the adjustable one is that the stock one is good, but i wouldn't say its autocross worthy. A nice adjustable one for the best possible stiffness would be awesome for autocross. And you are right about the bracket, its pretty weak.

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track