Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2014 gt/cs vs 2005 gto

4K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  Borii 
#1 ·
Going to the strip with my buddy. He has a 2005 gto with full exhaust including long tubes, k&n cai, camshaft and a tune. I am going to have a custom dyno tune, jlt cai and LCA's. Do you think he will beat me? I have 3.73's not for sure what gears he has. Both cars are manuals.

#3 ·
As mentioned, it will be a drivers race. It also comes down to what size of cam he has. I have several friends with GTO's that are trapping mid 11's @ 120+ with just basic mods and a big cam.

BTW, the 04 GTO had the LS1. The 05/06 came with the LS2.

#4 ·
x2

#7 ·
I always wonder what is the better buy, a 98-02 F body or a 05/06 GTO with the LS2.

But yes it is a driver's race depending on his cam and tune and driving. A cam only LS2 with a tune is going to be putting down 400+ to the wheels without trying very hard. But they are heavy ****ers.

#8 ·
For a DD, a GTO is in my opinion one of the best cars you can buy. They ride good, have great power, look decent and are very well built. Built well enough to have you questioning if the car really came from GM.

That said, they are heavy cars (3700 - 3800 lbs).

If you want something to go ripping up the streets and tracks, an LS powered Fbody is the way to go.

#12 ·
All about the total package. A cam only LS1 with all the "bolt ons" and a tune routinely hit 400rwhp from what I have seen in my limited GM experience. Throw in a good set of gears, suspensions and good tires and that's a pretty scary street car.

#13 ·
It would be a driver's race WITHOUT the cam. With the cam, he has a clean edge.

2005 GTO was 6.0

With cams and full exhaust he is an 11 second car and mid to low 11 with traction.

I would say you'll have better traction than him unless you're both running drag radials.

#14 ·
Coming from an '06 LS2 with Kooks LTs and full exhaust, ported intake, cai, and a bunch of suspension mods on DRs, I consistently ran 12.40 @112. Biggest problem with the Goat is not the weight, but the massive wheel hop. It is one of the hardest cars made to run a quarter with consistent times.
As for ur question... Unless he has a bunch of seat time at the track with that car, u have the edge, even cammed imo.
As mentioned, the GTO is one of the best daily drivers out there. Good at many things, just not great at any! Sure miss mine.
Had a couple friends with TT or Supercharged with over 750rwhp, without susp help, and I out ran them on the track often.
Good luck!
Troy
I will say, my new GT will woop on my Old GTO!

Attachments

#15 ·
The guys I know all replaced their half shafts with much beefier ones and then I think most of them replaced the inner axle stubs and bushings too ( about $1500 in parts). Those cars had practically no wheel hop at all, less than my 3.7 Mustang has actually.

Also, if your friends put down 750whp on a built motor (because the stock pistons would explode) without doing suspension also, they are idiots.

As for you out running them on the track, unless they broke their junk, you would have been murdered on the back half.

I would love to see those time slips. I imagine it would be something like 13.21 @ 135.28 vs 12.40 @ 112.00.

#17 ·
I've always had to sand bag my runs, no roll cage. Therefore ... not really a race.

#29 ·
good job on the kill :thumb:

#38 ·
Yup trap speed explains it all. 122 trap will be a nice roll car. Of he does not want to spend the money to get it to hook

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

*if

#39 ·
Yup trap speed explains it all. 122 trap will be a nice roll car. Of he does not want to spend the money to get it to hook

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

*if

F that spending 60k on a 650 HP sports car that can't hook for crap from the factory and not faster than a 25k less 5.0 Ha ha ha

#40 ·
600 HP on street tires and stock suspension is not going to hook regardless. Ford didn't make the car specifically for the strip. That's what the cobra jet is for.

I can't hook if I swap street tires back on and stock suspension either.

#42 ·
Countless modded GT500 owners have already found out that close to 4 figure horsepower does not a 10 second car make. You have to actually put that power to the ground. Although if you do run into such a car on the highway prepare your butthole.

#43 ·
Actually it was a typo... 680 (682 if i remember correctly)! Car is a beast. It was his first time at the track. He felt like chit! I told him not to expect much first few times. He even just replaced the rubber with Michelins Supercar sumptinerothers!
That is my point precisely...driver makes the race in most cases.
Troy

#44 ·
Stock for Stock Mustang 5.0 and the 6.0 GTO, the mustang kills them from a dig not even a race. A roll 5.0 still has the edge by at least a car.

My buddy has a full exhaust, cold air/tune, cammed 06 gto. Raced a 14 CS/GT, with just a intake and tune. The 5.0 had him by half a car every race. Everyone doubts these new 5.0s but they are no ****ing joke.

#45 ·
The Mustang does not KILL a GTO from a dead stop. Seriously. Stock for stock the Mustang is a little faster. Negligible advantage with an average driver.

And you're doubting the 6.0 an intake/tune 5.0 is not faster than a cammed 6.0 GTO with breather mods as you described. Just isn't. I have no doubt your friend beats him every time, but that doesn't change the fact that a cammed and bolt on 6.0 IS the faster car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.