Track day tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Track day tires

Anyone know where I could get some affordable wheels/ tires for track days on road courses. I'm looking for R compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Redonblackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Track day tires

Tire rack has a good amount. What sizes are you looking for? And any budget? Generally decent R comps for anything 18" or taller and 8" or wider aren't going to be cheap.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes cheap and R compound are really two things that go together

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

That's aren't

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm looking for wheels and tires together on 18 or 19 inch rim and a minimum of 275 mm width.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

None of them are "cheap" but Hoosiers are considered the "top of the line" so any of the other tires are the "cheap" ones. Lol.
Kumho's are probably the next favorite track tires and they are slightly longer lasting and less expensive than the Hoosiers but aren't quite as sticky.
Any R comp that you choose will be a huge difference than street tires though.

I recommend that you use very sticky street tires until you are absolutely positive that you are as fast as you can be on them. Otherwise, you will just waste the R comps while driving around the track, learning the new limits of the car... Which will blow your f'n mind!!!
You, basically, start driving the car at a pace that you would never be able to achieve on street tires and keep going faster from there. You need to be able to push your car past it's old limits and drive it at a much faster pace than you are accustomed to, if you want to get the full benefit from the R comps.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I've noticed there are actually more choices for 19s than 18s for R comps.... Probably since most higher end sports cars and exotics use 19s. So those are what i would go with. Hell i thought about putting a double staggered set up on mine like exotics do (18x10 in front, 19x11 in back).

But like Straybullitt said, if you are still reaching the limits of your car best not to do the most extreme tire option. A really popular R comp is the Toyo R888, it sticks like glue when warmed up, but will give you some better life out of the tire. Once you master that, you can go with something like the Hoosier A6 or A7 or the BFG R1 or R1S.

As for wheels, there are so many options out there. Go to a place like AM or LMR and they have a ton of options to pick from.

HID end all thread
Old 12-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Most definitely are you are correct. Every time I go out on the same road course track, my times are getting faster with the same set up. With each track day I gain more and more confidence, and the ability to push the car harder and farther. I'm running the Mickey Thompson Street comps currently and I feel that they are a great tire. They are sticky and they hold up well on the track. My budget for tires currently is pretty low. More than likely I'll stick with street tires for a while. Thanks for the feedback

Old 12-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Look into BFG Rivals. They are what I'm going with. They are geared toward autocross and open tracks, but not too major

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 01-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Also, look at getting some good LIGHT wheels. The factory wheels are HEAVY.
The factory 19" on my 2011 CS + Pirellis clock in at over 60lbs / corner.
I am currently running Enkei PF-01 18"s with Hankook RS-3s for autocross and track days.
This is a savings of over 20lbs / corner and it makes a HUGE difference.

-Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
I am an instructor and former SCCA driver. Be cautious with true Dot R tires as you need to be sure your suspension and braking can handle the extra grip. This level of grip will put a lot of stress on both.
Are you Advanced/Instructor group? If a novice or intermediate I would recommend you will learn more with high performance street legal tires like the BFG Rival and Hankook RS3. Or even a bit less sticky. And probably enjoy the track experience more on the less sticky tires.
If you have the experience then the Nitto NT01 is noisy but excellent grip and value.
I run with 18x10 lightweight wheels; Forgestar F14 wheels. The Enkei's mentioned above are very good as well and available in 10.5.
todcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Once you become better with street tires, and cant get your lap times down, you could always get some scrubs. What I did back when i used the vette for road course duty, is I bought some cheap wheels on ebay, and bought 4 scrubs for about 400 bucks with plenty of meat still with only a couple of heat cycles on them.
03redzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track