Camber setting for track day - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Camber setting for track day

I am currently running -1.6° camber on my car. The toe is set at 0.08. I feel like I need to increase my negative camber to increase grip The car seems to lack grip in corners.
The tires are also wearing on the second tread towards the inside. Not the inside edge but the second tread over from that.
For those of you that track your cars, what set up are you running for camber?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Redonblackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
When I tracked my car I was at -2.3° but that was because I dropped it without any caster/camber plates and had no adjustability. But the car handled great and felt like it had great traction. Granted this was also on a New Edge so somebody else a recommend something else for your generation mustang. I will also admit to not being experienced enough to notice what a change in camber will do. My car had just gone through an IRS swap and 2.5" drop before that visit so I had a lot of changes to readjust to.

Personally I'd bump it up to around -2.0° and see how that feels.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Nobody on this forum tracks their car?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redonblackpony View Post
Nobody on this forum tracks their car?

I'm about to start doing road courses. But I have an 01 so it'll be a bit different. Running -1* now but haven't tested it out on a track yet.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I am going to consult with a local race alignment shop on proper camber setting for my car.
I talked to a guy last year at the track and he gave me his business card, but I misplaced it. I know I should be probably closer to -2° and beyond.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If you're not so concerned about street wear, I would go about - 2 degrees. I run closer to 0 since I only get to the track 4 days a year or so. With the FRPP adjustable shocks/struts set to 5, I'm still pulling over a G.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

-2.5 to -3 are good starting numbers.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redonblackpony View Post
I am currently running -1.6° camber on my car. The toe is set at 0.08. I feel like I need to increase my negative camber to increase grip The car seems to lack grip in corners.
The tires are also wearing on the second tread towards the inside. Not the inside edge but the second tread over from that.
For those of you that track your cars, what set up are you running for camber?

Why do you think that you need more camber?
Is it because your car is pushing like "Salt and Pepa"?

You probably have too much air in your front tires if you have 1.6 of camber and your tires are wearing the second tread.
A popular trick with some of the guys that I autocross with, is to set the alignment to an acceptable "street" setting and mark it, then jack the car up at the track, loosen the camber plates, and push the tops of the struts all of the way towards the inside to put in the maximum amount of camber. It didn't seem to help them much though, because, all else being equal, my car ended up being faster without all of the camber.

You really need to perfect your trail braking technique to get Mustangs to handle well in the corners. They stick pretty decent if you can get a lot of the weight transferred to the front of the car right before you turn in.
I always encourage people to get their driving technique in order before modding their car as a "band-aid" for sloppy driving. You may not need to do anything to the car to beat the local competition!
And tires. If you dont have some sticky tires, with the air pressure dialed in, you will get beat by someone who does! Period.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

There are a lot of different things that can make it push, too much front brake bias, spring balance, sway bar rates, roll center heights etc. Basically you balance the handling and dial in the camber for even tire temps. That's the short version....I'm at work now.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty sure I have the pressure correct in the front tires. The tires are wearing right at the wear triangles.
The tires I've been using are Mickey Thompson Street comps treadwear 300. They have around five or six track days on them. They are chunking on the second tread towards the inside. They are not the best tires for the track.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track