First track day - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
First track day

Taking my 11 gt auto to my first road coarse track day at Palm Beach International are ready tomorrow. Looking for beginner type tips. Get a stick doesn't count.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Start slow and try to go a little faster each lap.

Technique
Technique
Technique

Focusing on your technique is the most important part. You will learn so much about your car that day you will be shocked.

But most of all. Have a good time. Chances are you aren't going to be setting amazing lap times, so go out there, have a good time, and learn a lot.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
+1^ focus on being smooth, speed will come with driving a smooth line. Making noise and pushing the limits sounds and feels fast but in a road course loss of traction is loss of time. Don't worry about people passing you, it's very easy to puff your chest up and try to defend your position but there's no point to it on a lapping day.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just got home. Couple of observations. On the straights the car was impressive. C7 couldn't pull on me. Kinda shocked me. In the twisteis though.....oof. Fought the the the whole time. Didn't realize just how much body roll I would have. Felt like I could reach out the window and touch the ground. Also...the brakes. Real hot night. Nothing but jitter. By the end of my first session, when it was hotter, I started to get nervous. Felt like they would fail. The second session I had a little more confidence in them. Don't think I would go again without a track ready brake pad.

Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Yeah brakes are one of the few things you never want to skimp on with a road course car. I would change the pads and change the fluid to a DOT 4 fluid.

The stock 5.0s have a very soft suspension from the factory, I always found it very entertaining to watch them at a drag strip because of how much they pick up the front end.

So now that you've gotten a chance to race it what are your plans as far as upgrades?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The biggest thing that will help you is seat time.
Practice at lower speeds finding your line that works for your car. Practice hitting your apexes and setting up for each turn. You don't have to concern yourself with speed at first, with time it will come naturally.
Talk with other guys to get your air tire pressure right at track temperatures. This will help immensely with grip.
Upgrade to a dot 4 racing fluid and upgrade your brake pads to racing pads.
The stock springs are incredibly soft as you mentioned especially for a heavy car like the mustang. In time, you want to upgrade those as well as shocks and struts

Redonblackpony is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track