Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Mustang v6 vs charger RT

14K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  Billymccrary3 
#1 ·
So either Wednesday or the following Wednesday me and my friend are going to Sonoma raceway test n tune. He has a 2011 charger RT with just flowmaster exhaust and he's on either 20' or 22' rims so that will slow him down. I have a base 2014 mustang 3.7 with nothing besides Roush axle backs. This will be his first time running and I have already gone to the track before. My question is how do y'all think this race/races showed turn out?

#10 · (Edited)
Are you doing the road course or the drag strip?
I'd be very interested in the results.
I have almost the exact 2 cars except my 2011 RT is an AWD and my Mustang is the PP.
Although my RT is about 900 lbs heavier then my Mustang that thing seems to move once it's rolling.
Never had a chance to really test them out. I'd guess they're pretty darn close in a straight line.
EDIT: Oh BTW my AWD RT came with P235/55R19. Relatively tall tires.

#11 ·
Hopefully you get a good launch at the line and pull on him right away before he starts feeling you in. Hope someone videos the race. That would be a cool one to watch. Good luck.

#14 · (Edited)
With no mods, I dont know man. I personally wouldn't bank on it if it's a V8.

Here is a bone stock dyno video of one of those - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJj6A9Bq8uM

348 rwhp 374 rwtq

I would say No. Now if you had full bolt-ons - Maybe. The 22s won't be as much of a hold-back as your 2.73s. My friend and I raced at SA Raceway when he had 2.73s and he was running 14 seconds consecutively. He swapped to 3.73s a week later and was running 13.4-13.6.

The only change was gears.

#16 ·
Call me a traitor, but I have always been a Mopar fan. Ford has only released two vehicles that have ever impressed me; the GT40 and of course the Mustang.

If your friend with the Challenger can't drive then you may have a chance. If the track is prepped properly and he airs his tires down to about 20lbs his car will hook and walk off due to the weight and torque.

My younger brother has a 2014 Mustang V6 with the performance package. I will admit that the car is quick. It accelerates smooth, and shifts effortlessly.

He was bragging about the fact that his V6 has more power than my 02 GT. He is right, on paper the 14 V6 should walk away from me. He could not have been more wrong. I have 3.73 gears and loads of torque. I walked him for the 1/8 and made him run me down in the quarter. He did beat me, but only by a 10th.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Exactly. I hold to that same mantra with my guitars and music equipment. I have Gibson, Fender, G&L, Music Man, Breedlove, and a few others. That's just guitars. The rest of the equipment is just as diverse.

#20 ·
Yea I am definitely not like that. At the end of the day, I know everyone is entitled to whatever because it's their own hard earned money that goes toward their commuter or drag racer.

I have a friend that gives me grief about my "Ford", but I have never once made any jokes on his cars. Which have been chevy, scion, ford, dodge, etc.

I say - Rock with what you got and take pride in it. :thumb:

Of course one day I would love to own a newer Corvette. But that is another discussion. :D

#24 ·
You will have to overcome the torque of that car by finding the sweet spot in your rpms. Too low and you will bog the engine. Too high and you will likely break stuff if the track is prepped. You also do not want to spin at all. Any loss of traction will give the horsepower of the the Hemi the advantage.

From a dead stop torque is going to allow the Hemi to launch at a lower RPM and quickly hit the red line.

Truth be told, this should be a true driver's race. It will be won at the starting line. Neither car should easily run the other down.

Drag racing is a balancing act. I raced drag bikes for years. I ran street and super street. No wheelie bars, no slicks, just you mastering the machine. Then after an 8 sec pass you get to look over everything to see what can be done to gain another 10th of a second.

#27 ·
If you really wanna win then my advice is to deploy a distraction.

Shortly after launch, jump out and ghost ride the whip. This should confuse your rival and cause them to slow down and look. That is when you jump back in and floor it!

:lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#34 ·
Update: he bailed on me for this Wednesday... So hopefully we will run next Wednesday (I'm fine with that my tuner will be here by then)... I'm still going to run at the track tonight so hopefully I can beat my previous time
IG: Alpha3.7
how did you make out with your times?

#33 ·
If you lose, it will be because of your MPG 2.73 gears :(. Your tune will help you a lot.:)

#39 ·
Just installed the Bama tune and dang did it make a difference! With these crappy 2.73 gears the car would not have any problems with spinning even with traction control off... First time giving it a some throttle for the first Time after the tune and spun hard in first (obviously spinnings not good but just shows the gains) and shifts a lot faster...

Can't wait to get it to the track again this week and see what difference it makes on the time

My friend with the charger keeps bailing on me last second... But I can promise you the race will happen. He's my roommate and he can only come up with so many excuses before he finally comes to the track with me! ?

Instagram: @Alpha3.7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.