New England Dragway June 8th - Hellcat against Super Snake - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
16 psi. Decent burnout in 2nd for heat. Don't dump clutch, try to roll into it.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
I'm not giving any advice on launching until I see how the car reacts to the track. I also know very little about the suspension.

With a good drag radial you can heat the tires without worrying about them becoming greasy. If the suspension is setup to transfer the car's weight upon the launch, and if the track will hold the tires, you can launch with as much force as the drive train will accept.

With enough power and good traction you have three options:
1- you get a perfect launch and experience the ride of your life.
2- you pull the front tires off the ground and torque the chassis. Even without roasting the tires you end up pedalling to keep things straight.
3- everything hooks perfect and a weakspot is found in the drive train. That is the worst case scenario in my opinion. Broken parts are never cheap, and put you down.

When I was racing tire pressure was never a consant thing. Weather, track condition, and even the amount of runs on the tire dictated pressure.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Maybe Diehard will be able to show up and get some video.
I will definitely go tonight as long as medwards is still planning to go.
I always wanted to check out the place. Running the 1/4 mile is on my bucket list.
As old as I am, drag strips are new to me.

I do have a relatively new GoPro and will try my best.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I always wanted to check out the place. Running the 1/4 mile is on my bucket list.

I am going tonight. There is a bunch of T-storms coming through the track area around 2:30pm according to the satellite on weather.com (zip of 03042 will show it to you). We have tech-check at 5pm and start racing at 6pm. Everything should be clear and dry at that point. Fingers crossed!
"All the options baby!"
medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Drag racing is an addiction.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwards View Post
I am going tonight. There is a bunch of T-storms coming through the track area around 2:30pm according to the satellite on weather.com (zip of 03042 will show it to you). We have tech-check at 5pm and start racing at 6pm. Everything should be clear and dry at that point. Fingers crossed!

Name:   download.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  2.3 KB
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I'm not giving any advice on launching until I see how the car reacts to the track. I also know very little about the suspension.

With a good drag radial you can heat the tires without worrying about them becoming greasy. If the suspension is setup to transfer the car's weight upon the launch, and if the track will hold the tires, you can launch with as much force as the drive train will accept.

With enough power and good traction you have three options:
1- you get a perfect launch and experience the ride of your life.
2- you pull the front tires off the ground and torque the chassis. Even without roasting the tires you end up pedalling to keep things straight.
3- everything hooks perfect and a weakspot is found in the drive train. That is the worst case scenario in my opinion. Broken parts are never cheap, and put you down.

When I was racing tire pressure was never a consant thing. Weather, track condition, and even the amount of runs on the tire dictated pressure.

1. Suspension is not set up for drag racing. It's a road race course set up. The car is about as stiff as can be. So, that's going to be one of my challenges.

2. Suspension is the Ford Racing Track Handling Pack (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-FR3A-M8). Breakables...ie driveshafts, halfshafts, transmission...are Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft, Ford Racing halfshafts, stock MT82 transmission.

3. Car has a rollbar that helps stiffen the chassis. Front end suspension is very tight so I don't expect the front wheels to be off the ground.

My first pass will be an idle start rolling into the throttle with about 18lbs of pressure in the rears. I have the fronts at full pressure (50lbs). Depending on how that goes, my next pass should be a high(er) rpm start....probably try 3000rpm. Then I'll dial it in from there.
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Don't drive through the water with those wide front street tires. Drive around it, and then back up into it, to do the burn out, keeping the front tires out of the water as much as possible.

Good luck!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

We appreciate it!

And try to get some video of your runs as well!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't drive through the water with those wide front street tires. Drive around it, and then back up into it, to do the burn out, keeping the front tires out of the water as much as possible.

Good luck!
Yuppers!
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #45
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
M,

I'm rooting for ya.

win/loose it's gonna be an intense few seconds have fun!

J
Old 06-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
1. Suspension is not set up for drag racing. It's a road race course set up. The car is about as stiff as can be. So, that's going to be one of my challenges.

2. Suspension is the Ford Racing Track Handling Pack (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-FR3A-M8). Breakables...ie driveshafts, halfshafts, transmission...are Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft, Ford Racing halfshafts, stock MT82 transmission.

3. Car has a rollbar that helps stiffen the chassis. Front end suspension is very tight so I don't expect the front wheels to be off the ground.

My first pass will be an idle start rolling into the throttle with about 18lbs of pressure in the rears. I have the fronts at full pressure (50lbs). Depending on how that goes, my next pass should be a high(er) rpm start....probably try 3000rpm. Then I'll dial it in from there.
You should be able to drop a bit of pressure on the front tires. You want traction up front if you need to steer out of a bad situation.

Definitely make a test pass to see how the car reacts. If things are as stiff as they sound you are going to be relying on the tires for suspension in the rear. A 100lbs sandbag in the trunk may be needed. By your description you are about to launch an 800hp go-cart. You could be in for a 1/4 mile burn out if you don't pay attention.

You should do just fine. After a few test passes you will know how your car is reacting. Just remember to tell the staging attendant to turn off the ET lights at the end of the track. There's no reason to show the HellCats your ET on the board. Let them guess.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Just a final follow-up. Confirmed with everyone that we are going tonight. See you at NE Drags. We will likely be running from 6 to about 7:30pm so get there early. After 7:30 usually the yahoos show up and it's time to leave.
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Looking forward to see what a snake will run.

Be careful and don't underestimate the cats.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

"You should be able to drop a bit of pressure on the front tires. You want traction up front if you need to steer out of a bad situation. "

Actually a very good idea. I'll bring them down to 40 after the first run (first run is going to be very slow as I see how it does with the DR's).

"By your description you are about to launch an 800hp go-cart. You could be in for a 1/4 mile burn out if you don't pay attention."

Already did that the first time I had it at NE Drag. Smoke all the way through 3rd gear. Finally hooked in 4th. To the credit of the team at Shelby, the car never misbehaved the entire time. Ended that run at 118mph. The 100lb bag is a good idea. I'm going to throw one in my chase vehicle in case I need to use it.

"Just remember to tell the staging attendant to turn off the ET lights at the end of the track. There's no reason to show the HellCats your ET on the board. Let them guess."

Now wouldn't that be funny. I probably won't do it, but it would be a funny thing to do. When I start running the clone I'll do that.
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I'm a grudge racer at heart. It's a game of poker. Sometimes you can bluff and scare your opponent with little things like shutting down the ET lights.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
M,

I'm rooting for ya.

win/loose it's gonna be an intense few seconds have fun!

J
TU!!
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I really wish I could be there in person.

I am planning on having a little fun helping Project Pony get down the track tomorrow night.

If the bug bites me, I may have to line up so we can have a battle of convertibles.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I'm a grudge racer at heart. It's a game of poker. Sometimes you can bluff and scare your opponent with little things like shutting down the ET lights.

You guys both make good points. I'm going to have him turn off the ET for the first few runs. I do want at least one ET on the board for all the folks coming, but I'll keep it close to the vest until I'm comfortable with my runs.
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You guys both make good points. I'm going to have him turn off the ET for the first few runs. I do want at least one ET on the board for all the folks coming, but I'll keep it close to the vest until I'm comfortable with my runs.
You can always take a pic of the time slips and post them.

Then we can confuse you with a million ideas on how to drop your reaction and 0-60 foot times.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #55
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I've been following all your threads, I'm excited to see how you do. I'm sure the hellcats are dialed in but I have heard that the hellcats are really pretty sad when it comes to laying the power down from the factory.

You know if you lose they will never let the mustang community live it down, right? Lol. No pressure. But if you could beat a SS you are a bad a s s. Get that GoPro charged up!
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Yea if u lose I'm trading in my mustang!!!! No pressure!!!👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Well had some problems with my GoPro. Can't find my wire to connect to the computer. Everything is so far away thru the GoPro not sure what can be seen anyway.

I did take some vids with my phone. Here's the main one.
EDIT: Oh yeah...Video starts off with a Camaro vs a GT first, followed by the Green Hellcat and the Shelby SS.

"medwards" was still getting dialed in when I left. He said he had to get a fire rated jacket to continue racing. Crossed some speed threshold I believe.
There were 2 Hellcats. The green one that ran a 10.9 and a black one that ran 11.7 I think. "medwards" managed a 11.4 against the green Hellcat.
I think the Shelby SS was doing better each run. "medwards" will fill you in with the details.
EDIT2: Changed the black Hellcat from 10.7 to 11.7.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #58
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Seat time is in their favor. Thanks for the video though diehard!
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Seat time is in their favor. Thanks for the video though diehard!
Made a mistake on the 2nd Hellcats time. That should have read, "11.7 not 10.7
Old 06-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Lol what did that white dodge ram run?
2012 Mustang Club of America Edition Silver Ingot V6 Premium, 6MT, BBK Shorty Headers, Mak Performance catless H-Pipe (not MAC), Magnaflow Street Catback, Airaid CAI, MPT 93R Tune, 80mm Throttle Body, Ported Intake Manifolds, SR Lowering Springs, SR Adjustable Panhard Bar, Lakewood 50/50 Shocks, Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts.
2012MCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012MCA View Post
Lol what did that white dodge ram run?
LOL I don't know but there were a lot of 16's and 17's maybe an 18.
So I guess I can go up there with my 2011 5.7L stock Charger and not feel so bad, assuming I can get in the 14's.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Medwards must still be looking for his jacket.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:06 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LOL I don't know but there were a lot of 16's and 17's maybe an 18.
So I guess I can go up there with my 2011 5.7L stock Charger and not feel so bad, assuming I can get in the 14's.
Thanks for the video Diehard!

Did you make any passes in your car?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

My best time was 11.26 seconds at 127mph. Here is the vid. Time slip and my thoughts to follow.
Attached Files
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My best time was 11.26 seconds at 127mph. Here is the vid. Time slip and my thoughts to follow.
My phone will not play the video for some reason, but I am pretty sure there is a lot left in that car.

Looking forward to the time slip.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Odd...something up with the video replay. It runs once but won't run twice. Let me put it on youtube. Give me a second.

Unfortunately video is degraded quite a bit from multiple uploads, downloads and uploads again. A buddy took this video and I don't have the original.
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-08-2016, 10:26 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

I pulled the video up on my computer. Its grainy, so it is tough to see what is happening to the car at launch. Definitely need to see some numbers.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

The YouTube vid looks alright to me.

That car sounds pretty wicked!

Looking forward to hearing the details of the evening.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Here are the 3 slips that define the evening. Thoughts to follow. First slip is against the slime green Hellcat. Second slip is against the black Hellcat (he couldn't even stage properly so he has no time....hahahaha....Joe, I love you buddy...but you don't do well under pressure....hahahaha). This slip is my solo last run of the night where I went all out balls to the walls with the setup I brought to the track. More on that in a minute.

Click on the image to be able to read it. I'm number 375.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slips.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	202210  
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The YouTube vid looks alright to me.

That car sounds pretty wicked!

Looking forward to hearing the details of the evening.
A supercharger always sounds good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Tags
super snake