What next after Camaro release? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Rumors | 2017 and 2018 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
The V6 is not going away. It is the bread and butter Mustang that gets new buyers. You cannot get a blower engine for less. The Ecoboost is about $10k higher than the V6. The advantage the Ecoboost has, is that you can get factory warranted parts and tune that will make it out run the stock GT, and is the better track performer. The GT is and always be a V8 version. To offer anything other than a V8 would be suicide for Ford. It would be great if the Ecoboost engine was replaced with the 2.7L V6 Ecoboost. From the factory performance would be closer to the V8 and with the same type of factory upgrades, would blow most V8s away.

As it becomes necessary, Ford will start doing more weight reduction, and making style tweaks. I am not a fan of the coupe, but the convertible looks great. I was looking at a Ruby Red GT yesterday and it was gorgeous.

The base V6 vs. Ecoboost is $1,500 higher for Ecoboost. I don't understand your $10,000 comment.
I agree the GT should be a V8, but why would they offer an Ecoboost 2.7L that was almost equal to the V8 and cannibalize the V8 sales?

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 02:20 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I was looking at a priceout of the total packages. The EcoBoost was only offered with the Premium Package and adding everything up, it probably makes $5000 difference. If you get all the goodies, it can be $8-10K more. The V6 is not going to be offered with goodies because they are trying to get the Mustang enthusiast to buy the Ecoboost. I also think they are lowballing the Ecoboost to attract more buyers. They need to get production up, so that they can lower unit costs.

The 2.7L Ecoboost is still going to be lower HP than the 5.0L, but will also have potential for additional power with a tune like Ford Performance offers for the 2.3L. The 2.7L in the F150 is 325 HP and 375 ft-lbs torque. Even if they tweak those numbers, it will not go above 400/400 and the 5.0L is 435/400. The best thing is that the 2.7L numbers makes a stronger separation from the 3.7 V6 base engine. That could prompt Ford to offer more options for the base engine.

The 5.0 is always going to be the dream of traditionalists. Ford is trying to push the Ecoboost because of several factors, and it appeals to younger buyers and those into track racing. It makes sense to consider the 2.7L in the future because buyers are going to want it. I suspect they held back because it is a new engine and it gives them an edge they can use later if needed.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I'd buy a 2.7 even if they didn't change the numbers from the current 325/375 as it sits in the F150.
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

I should mention that I was only looking at convertibles. Price difference between base and Ecoboost - $5500. Between Ecoboost and GT - $6000. A lot more options available for anything other than the base.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Too many options... car costs too much money now IMO. Used to be that anyone could get a nice V8 Mustang GT on a moderate budget... I guess you still can with a used Coyote but new... maybe some end of year X plan deals on base model Coyotes but I dunno.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:22 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
I was looking at a priceout of the total packages. The EcoBoost was only offered with the Premium Package and adding everything up, it probably makes $5000 difference. If you get all the goodies, it can be $8-10K more. The V6 is not going to be offered with goodies because they are trying to get the Mustang enthusiast to buy the Ecoboost. I also think they are lowballing the Ecoboost to attract more buyers. They need to get production up, so that they can lower unit costs.

That's wrong. The v6 is only offered in base models but you can get a Eco boost in any form you want. Base models are around 24 and premium convertibles are close to 40k and you can get it anywhere in between. Do some dealers only have premiums in stock? I'm sure, but that doesn't mean that you can't get them other ways. In NC I've seen several base Eco boost cars in the 24-26 range and the dealers are actually starting to offer incentives on the 15s of all types already (v6, ecoboost and GT)

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

When you compare cars by money you have to compare base models or fully loaded models to each other.
Just like you can't compare a fully loaded Ecoboost to a plain base GT and determine that the Ecoboost is better than a GT.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/2016-c...153335171.html

So it's.. 440hp ?

Weight is still unknown.

Initial rumors were 300-400 lbs ligher.

If its 300 lbs, it will be lighter than the equivalent Mustangs and have 5 more horsepower, THUS faster.

And its likely to be much lighter, and I'm going to guess its suspension/handling/traction will be better since its based on the Cadillac Alpha platform, which is actually a great handling platform already and now is in a "2nd or 3rd" generation. Compared to this being Ford's first iteration of the new mustang platform/body with IRS, etc.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:14 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

The new GM turbo 4 is going to be the base engine @ 275 HP, the new 3.6 V6 @ 330 HP, and the 6.2 LT1 @ 440 HP. There may be some surprises once they hit the streets, but the Mustang looks to be on even ground horsepower wise. What makes me wonder is the Cadillac ATS is 3400 lbs with the I4, and 3500 lbs with the V6, so the weights of the Camaro will be close to the Mustangs, and with the optional magnetic suspension, they could present some problems for the Mustang.

It may be hard to say how the new models will perform until they are tested. All of the engines are new to the Camaro and have more HP. It would be nice if Ford had a plan to shed 100+ lbs on all versions.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
It would be nice if Ford had a plan to shed 100+ lbs on all versions.
Well, F-150 their biggest seller went all aluminum. The new body may have been designed with going to aluminum later in mind. If they went with more body panels or complete all aluminum they could do it easily. Also, there's a lot of suspension parts that could go aluminum easily.

Camaro, changed many of their suspension parts to aluminum which if they're unsprung weight areas, its going to really help the handling.

P.S. Camara SS is actually 455 hp!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If they go aluminum on the mustang it's only gonna get more expensive

dj_james123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #47
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would like to see Ford come out with the flat plane engine as an option, or replacing the Coyote engine in the GT with it. To me the 2016 upgrades were underwhelming, I wanted to buy a 16 but will not buy a Mustang until they tweak the engine to match the Camaro's 450HP. Ford better hurry up as I'm going to test drive a Camaro when they come out.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #48
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
What next after Camaro release?

I don't see the GT or the SS, getting any stronger than 500HP. They are getting too close to the ZL1 and GT500. And GM and Ford will either increase their top level muscle cars performance or eventually stop upgrading their mid level. It's not really a good idea to have your mid level car that's able to compete, in stock form, with your top end car, the gap is getting shorter and shorter. They'll either widen the gap with the top end cars or reach the point where the mid levels with reach their top performance.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
I don't see the GT or the SS, getting any stronger than 500HP. They are getting too close to the ZL1 and GT500. And GM and Ford will either increase their top level muscle cars performance or eventually stop upgrading their mid level. It's not really a good idea to have your mid level car that's able to compete, in stock form, with your top end car, the gap is getting shorter and shorter. They'll either widen the gap with the top end cars or reach the point where the mid levels with reach their top performance.

Adventure till you drop
You never know, I bet 5-10 years ago plenty of folks were saying you'd never see 400+ on a GT or Camaro stock.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #50
Registered Member

Regular

I meant if they do they'll need to increase their top level car's performance to keep the gap between them. If they keep giving their mid level cars performance increases. Why would you buy a GT500 when you have a GT that's not far behind in performance.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
We are at the point now where the manufacturers are not going to really be able to push the HP up much in their "regular" sports cars mainly because at 440-500hp... you are now getting into dangerous territory for non prepped roads and non trained drivers. IMO, this is why the Coyote only got a mild bump and Ford went after improvements in other areas along with the global release.

You'll obviously still have special edition "omgwtfbbq" offerings for those who deem that power level not enough and obviously there is always the aftermarket. New Coyote does have revised heads (same as the 12/13 boss heads?), and intake as well as the Boss internals which is great because people with the 15+ models will not need to do "built" bottom ends until the 800+ level now. As far as the LT1... cam swap, bolt ons and tune and hold onto your bologna.

Also, why in hell are ppl still going on about the 2015 Camaro... that car is not the one we are going to be comparing to at all in like... now... the 2016 Camaro is debuting and its going to be an effing monster if even half of the rumors are true. We KNOW its on the Alpha platform with a LT1 so that alone is going to make it cray cray.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #52
Registered Member

Regular

Now if we can only get dodge back in the game.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #53
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
There will always be :::::::::::

Us people that like our Mustangs
***************************************AND*****************************************
there are people that like their Camaro's

I think the new Camaro as ugly as that front end is will be a hit with the Camaro people. Me, I'll take a Ford Mustang over anything.
To me personally,
A Camaro is just another car.
A Mustang is a beloved piece of American car history and just plain fun to drive, own, Modify, Race, Cruise, show off, enjoy and just look at.
I'll just keep my 2012 MCA till the wheels fall off.
Ronnie

If anyone out there thinks a Mustang is not a loved special car. Just register for the American Muscle all Mustang show -August 15th. 2015. Last year they said 2,600 and I'm betting this year it will probably double that. Only Mustangs and no other cars. All years, all different. It is a happening.

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Now if we can only get dodge back in the game.

Adventure till you drop

Definitely, make the charger a muscle car and not a sedan and call Jenny Craig for the challenger

Old 05-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #55
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james123 View Post
Definitely, make the charger a muscle car and not a sedan and call Jenny Craig for the challenger

I doubt they will do that though. It,honestly is pointless to have to 2 door muscle cars in your lineup
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I doubt they will do that though. It,honestly is pointless to have to 2 door muscle cars in your lineup
Did you mean have 2 2 doors muscle cars?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #57
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Did you mean have 2 2 doors muscle cars?
Yes sir lol left out a 2.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

They have the hideous snake

Old 05-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
So now that we know the specs on the 6th gen Camaro, it doesn't look like Ford has much of a response in 2016 except "Nostalgic Appearance Packages" and the possibility of the GT350.

We know the new Camaro is over 200lbs lighter in SS (V8) trim and around 300lbs lighter with turbo 4 and V6. So curb weight should be mid 3600's for small engine models and mid 3700's for the V8.

We know that just the body alone is over 130 Lbs lighter than the 5th gen. Also, the majority of suspension will be made from aluminum, the parts made of steel are designed with weight savings in mind.

We know the benchmark for the base SS was the previous gen 1LE (with the base 6th gen SS being faster than the 1LE), which outran the Boss, Track Pack GT (S197 and S550) and GT500 on most road courses with less power and more weight.

We know that all models will have the option of a 6 spd Tremec or an 8 spd automatic and this time, it's the same V8 regardless of manual or automatic.

We know that the Camaro will have similar packages for all available engines. Unlike the Mustang, you can have a loaded car without going with the higher spec engines.

So, if the 6th gen Camaro performs like the 5th gen with more power (335hp/284tq V6, 455hp/tq V8) and less weight (200 - 300 lbs), I think it's safe to say that the current Mustang is lacking performance both in a straight line and in the corners.

So what does Ford need to do to step up their game? I'm thinking new/revised engines and suspension/chassis tweaks. Without anything major, Mustang sales are going to tank.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #60
Registered Member

Regular

"Mustang sales are going to tank"

Okay. I don't understand why this is such a hard concept, most people do not care about track times and 1/4 mile times. The average person buys a mustang because they like it.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said b4 all the ford nutswingers are going to be I for a big suprise, when the new SS comes out. Basic bolton 5.0's are going to be beat.

We had it for 11-12 lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #62
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Like I said b4 all the ford nutswingers are going to be I for a big suprise, when the new SS comes out. Basic bolton 5.0's are going to be beat.

We had it for 11-12 lol.

I don't mind the look it at all. Lots of people are complaining on Facebook about it but I like it.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I don't mind the look it at all. Lots of people are complaining on Facebook about it but I like it.
I like it also. Really like it actually.
Auto, full exhaust, cam, 300 shot direct port, e85. That would be my setup

Old 05-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #64
Registered Member

Regular

Could be my next car down the road. My big downside to them was the interior. It just felt wrong and was hard to see for me
Old 05-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
What's next? Ford will bring out the big guns and slap Chevy down like they have done OVER AND OVER. Ford has more money and more expirience (Ford Racing, SVT)

Regardless of what anyone says..... Nothing can touch the cobra jet in a straight line(off the floor) and ford was dominating the tracks in the freaking 60s. They haven't forgot what they learned from the lamans races(decades ago) They are hanging a huge left hook to knock Chevy on there asses....again.

My point is they have the knowledge to do crazy stuff before any of the non mustang fans say something like "apples to apples man"
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

^
"Slap chevy down Over and over again "

When was this??? Lol

Old 05-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

I love the mustang nutswingers lol.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #68
Registered Member

Regular

Goose, you got it backwards there buddy.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #69
Registered Member

Regular

455 is a solid amount of power off the lot
Old 05-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
^ and I love all the mustang haters on a mustang site.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Rumors | 2017 and 2018 Mustang