S550 Holding its own - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Rumors | 2017 and 2018 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
S550 Holding its own

Looking around at reviews and performance comparing the S550 GT to the 2016 Camaro SS and the GT wins interior/exterior and comes down to driver in performance. So much for all that hype...

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
S550 Holding its own

Who's reviews are you talking about?

Every day is a joyride.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Referring to comments on this site by a few of the resident "experts" on the 2016 Camaro SS and then looking over the current industry reviews on Internet sites and YouTube showing the two are pretty much neck-in-neck performance wise (1/4 and slalom) and then the interior/exterior is a toss up depending on what you like. That's all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Any of those reviews show dyno charts of the two?

Every day is a joyride.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Dyno for what, does that make it faster or corner/stop better. Point is the SS is not light years ahead

Old 02-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
LOL @ people who only look at dyno numbers as a judge of overall performance.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Car and driver has the Camaro .5 faster 0-60, .7 faster in the 1/4 mile, better powerband, and overall better handling. Granted it did the the mustang had a better interior and better visibility which matter but when you compare performance it's not a question the Camaro is far superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

S550 Holding its own

I'm curious what the cars are making at the tires; and what the power bands look like. Simple as that. If that's a bad thing to ask for then sorry.
The people you're trying to pick a fight with will see this thread sooner or later. You can have a pissing contest with them.

Every day is a joyride.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
I'm curious what the cars are making at the tires; and what the power bands look like. Simple as that. If that's a bad thing to ask for then sorry.
The people you're trying to pick a fight with will see this thread sooner or later. You can have a pissing contest with them.

Every day is a joyride.

I wasn't sure what you're angle was because I thought everyone knew that GM threw the vette engine into the SS and now has more power and is lighter than the GT. Throw some good rubber on the GT and it will be driver to driver.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Car and driver has the Camaro .5 faster 0-60, .7 faster in the 1/4 mile, better powerband, and overall better handling. Granted it did the the mustang had a better interior and better visibility which matter but when you compare performance it's not a question the Camaro is far superior.

Car and Driver seemed to have an early in on the 2016, looks like a GM backed review to me. Granted, Ford could have put some good rubber and better suspension in as GM did but those adds to a GT will close in on those numbers easily and its driver to driver all the way.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

S550 Holding its own

I know it has the LT1 from the C7. I'm curious what the new engine's rear wheel figures are. Plus what the power band looks like. And compare them to the S550's Coyote. It's not a factor in judging the cars just some info some people (me) might like to know.

Every day is a joyride.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
Car and Driver seemed to have an early in on the 2016, looks like a GM backed review to me. Granted, Ford could have put some good rubber and better suspension in as GM did but those adds to a GT will close in on those numbers easily and its driver to driver all the way.

Both cars have similar rubber but I would give the nod to the Mustang having better tires because the Camaro has runflats and they don't provide the same performance as non runflats do.

Also, the Camaro has 245/40ZR-20 in front and 275/35ZR-20 in the rear. The Mustang has more tire up front 255/40ZR-19 and the same in the rear 275/40ZR-19. Also, the Mustang has a 19" wheel, which means it likely has less rotational mass from the wheel/tires.

A quote from Car and Driver - "With lower weight, higher power, and greater grip, the Camaro walked all over the Mustang in our performance testing."

Even with race car rubber, the Performance Pack GT would get beat by the base model SS.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Pirelli's don't stick. I have them on my '16 GT PP and know first hand. IMHO C&D is all about GM

Old 02-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

S550 Holding its own

Just to add, fairly certain the PP has run flats. Your quote even states the Camaro grips better WTF

Old 02-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Looking around at reviews and performance comparing the S550 GT to the 2016 Camaro SS and the GT wins interior/exterior and comes down to driver in performance. So much for all that hype...

Internets racing ftw once again...

Just FYI when both are prepped equally it isn't even close in performance. Not even.

And if you are buying on looks... then you get neither because the Challenger is the best looking of the "big 3" muscle cars.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
I know it has the LT1 from the C7. I'm curious what the new engine's rear wheel figures are. Plus what the power band looks like. And compare them to the S550's Coyote. It's not a factor in judging the cars just some info some people (me) might like to know.

Every day is a joyride.
Here are videos from HPE getting baselines on their 2015 GT and 2016 Camaro.

Mustang GT

Camaro

Compared to other results from other places ... his dyno seems to read about 20 high.

Here is a 0 - 150 run in the Mustang.

0 - 170 in the GT350.

0 - 170 in 2016 Camaro SS.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

S550 Holding its own

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Internets racing ftw once again...

Just FYI when both are prepped equally it isn't even close in performance. Not even.

And if you are buying on looks... then you get neither because the Challenger is the best looking of the "big 3" muscle cars.

How so? the SS in the review has a larger engine with more Tq and HP and better suspension.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

S550 Holding its own

If you compare dyno charts between 1500-3800 rpms the Camaro has roughly 100 lbs more of torque as well. Maybe car and driver is biased but I've yet to see any performance data to show that there anywhere close. Now looks, interior quality and visibility are a different story.

And please don't start with the "oh it has a bigger engine". Nobody has fords hands tied behind their back. Ford also has 3.73 gears and a dohc. While the Camaro had 2.73s and a ohc. Both company's made what they felt was the best overall car and ford fell short on the performance side in compassion.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

S550 Holding its own

That Camaro's dyno numbers are ridiculous. Oddly, 1320video covered a dyno day at Hennessey and everyone seemed to be running low figures. Than what they thought it would/earlier runs at different dynos.

Every day is a joyride.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

S550 Holding its own

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
If you compare dyno charts between 1500-3800 rpms the Camaro has roughly 100 lbs more of torque as well. Maybe car and driver is biased but I've yet to see any performance data to show that there anywhere close. Now looks, interior quality and visibility are a different story.

And please don't start with the "oh it has a bigger engine". Nobody has fords hands tied behind their back. Ford also has 3.73 gears and a dohc. While the Camaro had 2.73s and a ohc. Both company's made what they felt was the best overall car and ford fell short on the performance side in compassion.

Agree with the hands behind the back, so Ford should rebadge the base GT350 as GT and call it fair, otherwise I would still say the S550 GT is doing pretty damn good considering GM threw a corvette dressed in Camaro clothing at it.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Agree with the hands behind the back, so Ford should rebadge the base GT350 as GT and call it fair, otherwise I would still say the S550 GT is doing pretty damn good considering GM threw a corvette dressed in Camaro clothing at it.

Ever since ever, the Camaro has had a Corvette engine.

So wtf are you going on about? The Camaro Alpha platform shares nothing with the Vette.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Ever since ever, the Camaro has had a Corvette engine.

So wtf are you going on about? The Camaro Alpha platform shares nothing with the Vette.

That's crap. The vette engines always had more to them be it 327, 350, 396, 427. My 68 Camaro RS didn't have a vette engine and my 67 Stingray didn't have a Camaro engine AND the Shelby never had a Coyote engine. You apparently refuse to see the point.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Since the early 90's the Corvette always had the newest engine first and then the Camaro was short to follow. In 92 the Corvette had the LT1 and then in 93 it made its way in the Camaro. The Corvette got the LS1 in 97 and the Camaro got it in 98. Then in 09 the Camaro used a variety of engines which were all LS based and similar to the ones they put in the corvette. Not sure about the 09+ but I know in the 4th Gen F bodies although the Corvettes were rated higher they had the same engines and there are plenty of claims of C5 vettes and Z/28's dynoing the same.

As I said nobody is limiting Ford to 5 liters in the GT's. Ford COULD put the 5.2 L in the GT and Chevy COULD put the supercharged LT1 in the base Camaro SS. Really no point in saying what they COULD have done; just what they did which is what everyone is comparing.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:32 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

And my point before the conversation got away is that the GT is doing alright against this super duper Camaro SS. For those that say the s550 is a " hard fail" I just don't buy it. I don't race but satisfied with what I have and for those that do and build their cars up to do so, well I am sure they will do just fine against this "awesome" Camaro. Where's the popcorn anyway.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's crap. The vette engines always had more to them be it 327, 350, 396, 427. My 68 Camaro RS didn't have a vette engine and my 67 Stingray didn't have a Camaro engine AND the Shelby never had a Coyote engine. You apparently refuse to see the point.

Corvettes have had 305's, 327's, 346's, 350's, 364's, 376's, 396's, 427's, 428's, 454's, ... same as the Camaro. You could always option the engines differently, but the same options have ALWAYS been available throughout the lineup from a GM dealership. Just because the cars you owned weren't optioned that way from the factory doesn't mean it wasn't available.

In the 60's and 70's the Chevy performance cars had the same engines across the line, given, a certain engine package might not have included aluminum heads or a specific carb, they were however factory options if you ordered the car with them.

In the 80's, the Iroc Z Camaro and Pontiac T/A had optional L98's that were identical to those found in the Vette. In 92 the Vette received the LT1, a year later, so did the Fbody cars. Same with 97 and the new C5 with it's LS1, in 98, the Fbody received an identical LS1, just different ratings. In 2004, the GTO had the LS1, same as the standard Vette. In 2005, both the Vette and GTO had the LS2. In 2008, the Vette had an LS3, in 2009 with the re- introduction of the Camaro, it also received the same LS3. The LS7 from the C6 Z06 is the only engine in the fifth gen Z/28. The current LT1 in the Vette is now available in the current Camaro. Nothing has changed since the introduction of the Camaro, Vette engines have always trickled down into the lower end cars.

As for Ford, the newer Shelbys or Cobras have never had an engine that is in the GT. The 32v 4.6's or 5.4's with blowers, the Trinity 5.8 or the Voodoo 5.2. None of those have ever been in a factory GT.

Stop trolling over things you know nothing about. If you bought a new 2015+ Mustang GT and have buyers remorse, then trade the car in and buy a better performing Camaro SS.

If you truly have an S550 Mustang, you have a cool car. Just know that your car stock or even lightly modded, will get beat down by a showroom stock 6-gen Camaro SS.

As for the S550 doing well .. um.. no. It's slower at the drag strip than the S197 5.0's, it performs worse than a Boss 302 or 1LE 5th gen Camaro at anything and has absolutely no performance metrics that it even compares in to the 6-gen Camaro SS. It just doesn't. Even the GT350 (non R) looks bad against the 2016 Camaro. It's the nature of the game. Every couple of years a manufacturer will upgrade the car and jump ahead of the competition. Ford failed at that with the S550 and GM nailed it with sixth generation Camaro. Ford will have a response in a few years, quickly followed by GM's better response. That's evolution .... and it's good for all of us.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I went to the Philadelphia auto show today and saw the 2016 Camaro. The interior is better than the previous 10-15 models BUT! The S550's interior is far nicer. The leather seats in the S550 were freaking awesome BUT!

The 2016 Camaro is far better looking , modern muscle, nice lines and its rear end was good looking.

The Camaro also felt like i was sitting in a cock pit. I dont get that feeling with my S197 or the S550. Having to chose between the S550 and the 2016 Camaro, I'm gonna have to say the S550. WTF, I'm not the one looking at its horrid , fugly jacked up rear end on the S5550.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:18 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
As an S550 owner ('16 GT PP), I think the new Camaro looks like a d*mn fine car. Hauls a** and handles well from what the reviews show. I have to say I think there are several cars that are easily worth owning, the new Camaro, the Vette, Ole Rodder's new Cadillac (I think that's his in his avatar), a friend of mine's '15 Challenger, the list could go on. But, when I was looking into getting my first new car, I wanted what I wanted and didn't care what other car had more or less horsepower. My '16 has plenty of sh*t to it, I love the color, the available mods for it, the interior, the styling (although the rear end had to grow on me a little). As was said earlier, these car companies slugging it out with each other means more power, more this, and more that for all of us.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
As an S550 owner ('16 GT PP), I think the new Camaro looks like a d*mn fine car. Hauls a** and handles well from what the reviews show. I have to say I think there are several cars that are easily worth owning, the new Camaro, the Vette, Ole Rodder's new Cadillac (I think that's his in his avatar), a friend of mine's '15 Challenger, the list could go on. But, when I was looking into getting my first new car, I wanted what I wanted and didn't care what other car had more or less horsepower. My '16 has plenty of sh*t to it, I love the color, the available mods for it, the interior, the styling (although the rear end had to grow on me a little). As was said earlier, these car companies slugging it out with each other means more power, more this, and more that for all of us.
Agreed, 100%. I'm not brand loyal - for me, it was about looks, price, and what was available when I purchased my car. I would love to add a Camaro and Challenger to the garage as well....maybe someday.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
And my point before the conversation got away is that the GT is doing alright against this super duper Camaro SS. For those that say the s550 is a " hard fail" I just don't buy it. I don't race but satisfied with what I have and for those that do and build their cars up to do so, well I am sure they will do just fine against this "awesome" Camaro. Where's the popcorn anyway.

Agree with Ish. It really sounds like you have buyer's remorse and are trying to feel better about your S550. Did some LT1 Camaro hand you your *** at a stoplight? Sorry man it's just a better car. Yeah it's a Mustang board but we can acknowledge when the Mustang is not the best. Ford had it from 11-14 and even then one could argue for the Camaro for easy NA power upgrades and the 1LE package. Now it isn't even close.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Not trolling here, I own a 2016 GT PP manual and very satisfied with it as it is, except cat backs and a tune once it's broken in. Just to add, I have been around long enough and street raced cars and motorcycles and have found that any vehicles that are close in power and handling will be won by the better driver in a fair race. So, my point is that the Camaro SS will lose a few to the GT and that is because the SS is only better by a small margin and many people that responded have added their own agenda to the thread to make their arguments viable. I expected this thread to be more light hearted than it was. But Hell, maybe I will have the good fortune to run into one of you guys at a streetlight in your new Camaro for a quick run and see where that goes.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Man I love a good pissin' contest
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Agree with Ish. It really sounds like you have buyer's remorse and are trying to feel better about your S550. Did some LT1 Camaro hand you your *** at a stoplight? Sorry man it's just a better car. Yeah it's a Mustang board but we can acknowledge when the Mustang is not the best. Ford had it from 11-14 and even then one could argue for the Camaro for easy NA power upgrades and the 1LE package. Now it isn't even close.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Head Cheerleader!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post

Haha! They ignore the technology advances in the s550 and Go ape**** over a Cadillac/corvette merger because it's faster. Crazy ****. Just for the record, I have owned more GM's than Fords so not biased.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post

Rap incoming.

Every day is a joyride.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Forgot to add that I chose the even slower vert
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1454513024.129674.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	196566

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Rumors | 2017 and 2018 Mustang