Pre 2005 V6: SS Brake Line install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Pre 2005 V6: SS Brake Line install

to those considering it here is a write up i did for it.

So after taking my car to the Dragons Tail (311 turns in 11 miles) i really hated the spongy feeling of the OE brake lines...well after much research i found Goodridge G-stop SS brake lines.

Moss Mustang Store - Parts and Accessories for your Ford Mustang

Today i got them in and decided to install them along with taking some pics to let those who've never done this have a general idea.

Overall time (this was my first go at lines) was 30 min a side

1. Look at your SS lines and get familiar with them if you've never dealt with lines before.

2. Jack up the car and put it safely on stands...safety first

3. Remove front wheels and go ahead and lay out a 10mm wrench, 11mm wrench, flat head screw driver, pliers, and a pan (oil pan works)

4. Find the bolt holding the OE line to the Caliper and start wrenching it off (10mm)...it will probly take a little force to get it off (i used a hammer to tap the wrench to break it free (keep the pan under the caliper to catch fluid)

5. Trace the line to the other end where it connects to the Hard line...

6. Take the pliers and pull the metal clip off the hard line side...this will let the OE line come free once it's unscrewed from the hard line. Which you can go ahead and do now...you may hit a knuckle back there but push through

7. Once you have the OE line out you'll see there is a clip on the hard line end that resembles a snap ring...sadly its not so you'll need the flat head to pull it off the OE line (save it because you'll need it for the new lines)

8. Now for the install of the new SS lines...go ahead and connect the caliper end fitting to the SS line (they come seperate in the box)...now go ahead and take that snap ring looking clip and hook it to the new line (you may have to tighten it with the pliers)

NOTICE: BOTH LINES ARE NOT THE SAME FITTINGS WISE...ONE WILL FIT THE DRIVER SIDE AND ONE WILL FIT THE PASSENGER SIDE...LOOK AT THE HARDLINE FITTINGS BETWEEN THE OE AND SS LINES TO MATCH UP WHICH SIDE IS WHICH

9. Connect the hard line end first before the caliper end. it's just easier and leaves you more space to work with in the end. So go ahead and slide the hardline end through the bracket and get ready for some fun...take the new clip from the kit and secure it to the bracket so it cannot slide out...

10. Go ahead and tighten in the Hardline to the SS line with the 11mm...now time to go to the other end

ON THIS NEXT STEP LOOK AT HOW THE CALIPER SIDE FITTING ON THE LINE IS FACING...YOU SHOULD HAVE IT SO THAT THE ANGLE POINTS TOWARD THE INSIDE OF THE CAR SO IT CLEARS THE CALIPER WHEN TIGHTENED DOWN.

11. Take a crush washer and put it on the bolt that connects the line to the caliper. slide the bolt through the caliper fitting and add another crush washer to the bolt. now tighten the bolt to the caliper (10mm)...

REPEAT STEPS ON THE OTHER SIDE NOW

Now at this point you'd bleed the lines...i took pictures of this process since i used a one man brake bleeder tool (7.99 from Advance)...it was very simple to do seeing how i've never done it before...please make sure that your master cylinder has plenty of fluid before you bleed the lines...do not let it go dry. i took plenty of pics but my phone didn't load them to my photobucket like i thought it did with the rest of them...and i already deleted pics from the bleeding

Bleeding with the tool took me around 5 minutes each side :yes

Now take a step back and look at your hard work...

BEFORE

AFTER

Pop the wheels back on...let the car back down to the ground, and make sure lugs are good and tight..

I took the car for some twisties and you know what...it was a noticable difference and worth every penny. Things you can do to make this upgrade even better is adding some nice semi-metallic pads, and upgrading your break fluid...

I hope this helps you guys out that haven't done this.

carving corners like a boss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical