3.7 OEM Air Intake Silencer Delete - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
3.7 OEM Air Intake Silencer Delete

The following is a procedure I came up with to remove the air silencer on my 2012 V6. This process could be used on anything with the same similar intake tube. I did not want to modify my stock tube, so I purchased a spare I found on eBay.

I plugged the three holes that allow air to enter the silencer cavity. I plugged one with a wooden dowel, another with a plug from the plumbing department, and the last hole with a sturdy over the counter medicine bottle. I wrapped electrical tape around each item to get a nice tight fit in each hole. I really had to push hard to get them in the holes. Once in there, they were not coming back out. Then I also followed up by drilling a small pilot hole through the bottom of the tube and into each plug. I used a decent length and width screw that had wider threads and screwed that tight in each hole, just as a precaution. I installed the AFE Pro Dry filter in the stock box and put the lid back on. What I have done is completely undetectable just looking under the hood since the screws come up from the bottom. No air can enter the silencer box. Granted, it doesn't have the whistle that I am sure some of the completely open element CAIs have, but the silencer isn't coming into play anymore either.

If I want to, I can swap the OEM tube and filter back in place in less than 5 minutes.

I have run this way for about 1000 miles and everything looks like when I put it in.

Other than the cost of the spare tube and AFE air filter which is purely your choice to do, this mod costs only a few bucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398380620.983392.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	1,016.8 KB
ID:	154933

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398380648.473471.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	1,003.3 KB
ID:	154934

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398380671.406937.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	865.3 KB
ID:	154935

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398380690.835307.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	864.4 KB
ID:	154936
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
The following is a procedure I came up with to remove the air silencer on my 2012 V6. This process could be used on anything with the same similar intake tube. I did not want to modify my stock tube, so I purchased a spare I found on eBay.
What do you think about this article, and others like it, that talk about the Harmonics effect?

Design and Construction
The resonator itself couldn't be simpler in design; it's basically just an expansion chamber or wide spot in the otherwise-smooth intake pipe. It may or may not contain some kind of baffle or plate, depending upon the design and the intent of the designers. Resonators come in two types: In-line resonators are open chambers that sit in the intake tube, while side-branch resonators are chambers that sit next to the tube and are connected to it via a small duct or channel.

The Common Misconception
Most hot-rodders and car enthusiasts think of intake resonators as simple mufflers in the intake tube, devices designed to siphon all the awesomeness out of a car's sound track to appease soccer moms and senior citizens. That makes it a prime candidate for the "chuck-it" school of auto modification. After all, it's basically just a plastic tumor growing off of a tube that should by definition be as smooth and blemish free as possible. While sound control is indeed part of the resonator's job, the sound control itself is really more of a side effect of its primary purpose.

Pressure Wave Harmonics
Air flowing into your cylinder head's intake port doesn't move in a straight line while the valve is open, then politely stop in its tracks to await another valve opening. When the valve closes, the moving column of air slams into it, then compresses and bounces back like a spring. This pressure wave travels backward at the speed of sound until the intake runner opens up or it hits something, and then it bounces back toward the cylinder. This is the "first harmonic." The pressure wave actually bounces back and forth two or three more times before the intake valve opens again.

Intake Tube Pulses
The resonator in your intake is technically known as a Helmholz resonator, an acoustic device used to control pressure wave harmonics. Air bouncing back out of your engine and into the intake tube doesn't do it in a single pulse the way it would in a single intake runner; the multiple pistons put out pressure waves at their own intervals, and some of those are going to try to bounce back in while others are going out. The result is a "clog" or high pressure area in your intake tube that ultimately limits airflow through almost the entire rpm spectrum.

The Resonator
Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I did read that last summer while pondering eliminating mine. My take was, I was more interested in getting a little more sound and not as worried about the minimal impact it would have in 1/4 mile times, if any. None of the aftermarket CAIs have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I did read that last summer while pondering eliminating mine. My take was, I was more interested in getting a little more sound and not as worried about the minimal impact it would have in 1/4 mile times, if any. None of the aftermarket CAIs have them.
That was kind of my thoughts as well. Just looking for other opinions.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
How do you like that afe filter? Amazon shows that this filter does not fit the 2014, but it clearly does as it sits in your car. What is the part number?
dacm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacm99 View Post
How do you like that afe filter? Amazon shows that this filter does not fit the 2014, but it clearly does as it sits in your car. What is the part number?

2012 FORD MUSTANG aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter Element 31-80179

I like it. It is non-oiled. Some people worry about over oiling and messing up their MAF. With this one you don't have to worry. I saved my paper filter, so when the time comes to washing this one I can just put the paper one in so this one can dry naturally.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Very good to know, think i may do the same.
dacm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:02 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
What do you think about this article, and others like it, that talk about the Harmonics effect?

Design and Construction
The resonator itself couldn't be simpler in design; it's basically just an expansion chamber or wide spot in the otherwise-smooth intake pipe. It may or may not contain some kind of baffle or plate, depending upon the design and the intent of the designers. Resonators come in two types: In-line resonators are open chambers that sit in the intake tube, while side-branch resonators are chambers that sit next to the tube and are connected to it via a small duct or channel.

The Common Misconception
Most hot-rodders and car enthusiasts think of intake resonators as simple mufflers in the intake tube, devices designed to siphon all the awesomeness out of a car's sound track to appease soccer moms and senior citizens. That makes it a prime candidate for the "chuck-it" school of auto modification. After all, it's basically just a plastic tumor growing off of a tube that should by definition be as smooth and blemish free as possible. While sound control is indeed part of the resonator's job, the sound control itself is really more of a side effect of its primary purpose.

Pressure Wave Harmonics
Air flowing into your cylinder head's intake port doesn't move in a straight line while the valve is open, then politely stop in its tracks to await another valve opening. When the valve closes, the moving column of air slams into it, then compresses and bounces back like a spring. This pressure wave travels backward at the speed of sound until the intake runner opens up or it hits something, and then it bounces back toward the cylinder. This is the "first harmonic." The pressure wave actually bounces back and forth two or three more times before the intake valve opens again.

Intake Tube Pulses
The resonator in your intake is technically known as a Helmholz resonator, an acoustic device used to control pressure wave harmonics. Air bouncing back out of your engine and into the intake tube doesn't do it in a single pulse the way it would in a single intake runner; the multiple pistons put out pressure waves at their own intervals, and some of those are going to try to bounce back in while others are going out. The result is a "clog" or high pressure area in your intake tube that ultimately limits airflow through almost the entire rpm spectrum.

The Resonator
Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful.
The last paragraph says it. The "muffler" quiets or "dampens" the intake noise and quiets the engine. This is what some folks like to hear, so this mod saves you in paying for a CAI to get the same thing, and since the stock setup flows as good as 98% of the CAI's sold for the 3.7, this mod is a very good alternative to save unnessesary spent coin on a CAI.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The last paragraph says it. The "muffler" quiets or "dampens" the intake noise and quiets the engine. This is what some folks like to hear, so this mod saves you in paying for a CAI to get the same thing, and since the stock setup flows as good as 98% of the CAI's sold for the 3.7, this mod is a very good alternative to save unnessesary spent coin on a CAI.
Yes, totally agree. I was thinking more along the lines of effect on power, which I assume is negligible.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Yes, totally agree. I was thinking more along the lines of effect on power, which I assume is negligible.
Much like 98% of the CAI's that are sold as 3.7 replacements!

I think we are on the same page....
Old 05-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ok...so let me see if I understand this. You plugged the intake resonators so the car will sound like it does with a CAI?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Ok...so let me see if I understand this. You plugged the intake resonators so the car will sound like it does with a CAI?

Correct.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Really?! Is it drastically noticable?

Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I never had an aftermarket to compare it to, but I do believe it is definitely louder at WOT than before I did it. The end result is really the same as what Bucko did cutting his off and fiberglassing over it, and he says the sound is there on his.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Props for the cheap simple mod......+1 on liking the added sound but not expecting any HP gains.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Props for the cheap simple mod......+1 on liking the added sound but not expecting any HP gains.
Did you actually try my mod?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Couldn't you achive the same thing but using sone sort of plumbers calk or silicone sealer?

Old 05-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Couldn't you achive the same thing but using sone sort of plumbers calk or silicone sealer?

I wanted to make sure whatever I put in there didn't move. That's also why I secured them with screws, even though they were already super tight. I didn't want anything getting sucked into the throttle body. Who knows what plumbers caulk or silicone sealer would do over time with all the temperature changes.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

True.... JW Weld? LOL

Old 05-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
No I didn't but I prob would have tried this if I saw it b4 I scored a Airaid used for $150 I like simple cheap mods.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
No I didn't but I prob would have tried this if I saw it b4 I scored a Airaid used for $150 I like simple cheap mods.
NICE!! An Ariaid can be really expensive considering they do the same as every other intake out there.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Hey everyone! If you want to try this mod, have an auto and don't want to mess with your stock tube, there is a complete assembly including the air box (which you don't need but doesn't hurt having a spare if you ever want to play with it) on eBay for $60 bid or $85 Buy it Now, free shipping and a good rating on the seller. They don't pop up all that often.

NOTE: THE AUTO HAS TWO NIPPLES ON THE SIDE, THE MANUAL HAS ONE.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTANG...222bab&vxp=mtr

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

So when did they start selling these? Looks like a direct replacement for the stock tube.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTANG...e859f4&vxp=mtr

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Most likely when they realized no one was buying any new intakes because they can get them cheeper off Craigslist they made this, but $100 for a tube?! Guess they didn't learn...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical