Installing Wheel Spacers- How to - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Installing Wheel Spacers- How to

First:: Clean the hub and make very sure there is no rust or burrs to stop the spacer from being perfectly flat against the hub.
Second::: Check the spacers and be sure there are no burrs or anything to stop them from fitting flat against the hub or wheel. (Not a Problem if using quality spacers) If using the stock wheel studs you need to be sure they do not let the wheel lay flat against the spacer.
Third:: Use Blue locktite on the bolts holding the spacer on to the hub and torque the nuts or bolts to 100 Ft. Pds. using a torque wrench.
Forth:: install wheel torquing to 100ft.pds. using your torque wrench and check clearance for any rubbing. Do not use locktite on the lugs holding the wheel on.

*************************VERY IMPORTANT **************************

After driving 50 miles you really need to pull the wheels off and re-torque the studs or bolts holding the spacer on. You have to do this so do not think you do not.

Also +++ You can use up to 1/4 inch spacers on the front wheels if you want to but I personally don't recommend putting any spacers on the steering wheels at all. If you decide to use them on the front wheels please do not go over 1/4 inch. And really check them at least every 100 miles or so for a while.(With a good torque wrench)

Do NOT ever try to save $$$ by purchasing cheap crap spacers

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Nice write up

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
csb95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
First:: Clean the hub and make very sure there is no rust or burrs to stop the spacer from being perfectly flat against the hub.
Second::: Check the spacers and be sure there are no burrs or anything to stop them from fitting flat against the hub or wheel. (Not a Problem if using quality spacers) If using the stock wheel studs you need to be sure they do not let the wheel lay flat against the spacer.
Third:: Use Blue locktite on the bolts holding the spacer on to the hub and torque the nuts or bolts to 100 Ft. Pds. using a torque wrench.
Forth:: install wheel torquing to 100ft.pds. using your torque wrench and check clearance for any rubbing. Do not use locktite on the lugs holding the wheel on.

*************************VERY IMPORTANT **************************

After driving 50 miles you really need to pull the wheels off and re-torque the studs or bolts holding the spacer on. You have to do this so do not think you do not.

Also +++ You can use up to 1/4 inch spacers on the front wheels if you want to but I personally don't recommend putting any spacers on the steering wheels at all. If you decide to use them on the front wheels please do not go over 1/4 inch. And really check them at least every 100 miles or so for a while.(With a good torque wrench)

Do NOT ever try to save $$$ by purchasing cheap crap spacers

Ronnie

Is there a certain reason to not go over 1/4 spacers on the front? I thought they would fit. Is it some sort of a safety concern?
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes it is a safety concern

Your front wheels turn right and left to steer your car. The added stress on the front spindles and lug bolts would be prone to failure.

also , if you do add any spacers or custom wheels be sure to remove the factory clips from the stud holding the disc on. They were only needed for the assembly line and no problems removing them.

You may put wide spacers on the front wheels and never have a problem, But if a spindle brakes on a nice tight sweeper at 75/80 MPH you are probably dead. It has happened more then once because of front wheel spacers and spacers not installed properly.
Ronnie
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If you run 1/4" spacers on the front that are the aluminium ones with holes in them that simply slip over top of the existing wheel studs,you shouldnt have a problem right??I've been running this type for 7 years now with Weld Draglites and havent developed a safety issue that I know of.Maybe the spacers you're referring to are more dangerous because the spacer is attached to the hub by separate studs.The ones I use just slip over the same studs that are also used to hold the rim on??I ordered the Draglites through NTW(national tire warehouse)but the incorrect backspace was chosen so I had to use spacers in order to clear the front brake calipers.This is on a 90 GT with stock brakes,15×8 on rear and 15×7 on front.I'm using the spacers on the rear too,but I only done that for looks(I had no clearance issues on the rear before installing the spacers)
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

1/4 inch are the widest you would want

Hi wbrockstar,
You are OK using 1/4 inch spacers on the front but you are risking your car going any wider. Like I said," You may go forever using over 1/4 inch spacers on the front" but if a spindle does break at speed you are really doomed because you most likely will be on a curve when it happens.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical