Transmission Removal HELP!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Angry Transmission Removal HELP!!!

I'm in the process of removing this tranny to replace the throwout bearing. Everything is out and disconnected, all 7 bolts are removed. I've lowered the tranny but can't get it to drop any lower because there's a rod holding it where it is. I've pushed it back as far as I can but the back of the transmission is getting hung up on the frame. It's like it needs to be lowered more before moving further back but I can't lower it because of that rod. Any tips in how I can get this transmission dropped? HELP!?! Thanks in advance!
Grimace96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
So you're talking about the input shaft right? The engine should tilt back far enough to allow the transmission to come out
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm a whopping 110lbs. I'm sure you can imagine how scared I am being up under this thing to begin with lol. Can I just put two jacks on it and lower one end at a time? I'm afraid it's going to roll off on top of me. Will that also work putting it back in? I'm a newbie to the mechanics world. It's basic engineering for the most part. You'll probably see a lot of posts from me. Because my pride won't allow me to ask my boyfriend. He thinks I can't do it because I'm a girl. I'm determined to prove him wrong though. So any advice you can give would be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I understand exactly where you're coming from, I took mine out by myself and did not enjoy the experience one bit.

Just to cover the bases, you took out the shifter, cross memeber, and driveshaft right? Can you see your dowel pins, or is the transmission out further than that?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah all that's removed. I see the pin you're talking about. The car had been sitting in a yard for a long time just soaking up salt water from the air (bought it in Florida) so those components weren't the easiest to remove by hand. Took quite a bit of cursing and banging and PB blaster, but they're finally off. I did manage to wiggle it down though. So it's dropped. Throwout bearing has been replaced so now I'm putting him back together. I bought some high heat paint (1500 degree) to paint a lot of these rusted pieces before putting it back together. Is there anything I need to know before putting it back together? No new gaskets? No clutch adjusting or aligning to accomplish?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If you aren't replacing anything else then you should be good to go back in. It is strongly recommended to get a second set of hands to help so that one person can line up the input shaft and the other can push. It might be a good idea to lube up your dowel pins to help it slide on easier. Then engine will have raised back up when you removed the transmission so you may need somebody to tilt the engine back while you try to stab the transmission. It's a pretty straightforward job. Also DO NOT use the bell housing bolts to pull the transmission into the engine. Of it doesn't slide into place then something is in the way
Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Heh, I've done the bellhousing bolt trick before, has always worked like a champ. I'm actually doing a trans replacement on my 98 in 3 days. Not looking forward to it but I've got the old man helping me out on a lift at the base. T-45 going out, new 3650 going in. Finally going to be able to hit a 1-2 shift without grinding.

And yes, get someone else under there to help you, that thing falls, its 110lbs of transmission coming down.. There should not be anything else in the way as long as you have ALL the bolts out. Getting to the top two is a ***** but if you have enough extensions and tilt it back you can get at them relatively easy.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Heh, I've done the bellhousing bolt trick before, has always worked like a champ. I'm actually doing a trans replacement on my 98 in 3 days. Not looking forward to it but I've got the old man helping me out on a lift at the base. T-45 going out, new 3650 going in. Finally going to be able to hit a 1-2 shift without grinding.

And yes, get someone else under there to help you, that thing falls, its 110lbs of transmission coming down.. There should not be anything else in the way as long as you have ALL the bolts out. Getting to the top two is a ***** but if you have enough extensions and tilt it back you can get at them relatively easy.
I've always been able to slide it right on with no issues at all.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't really have an issue getting the transmission back in place. It's the exhaust that's being a pain lol. I'm short and trying to use my arms and legs to put it back in place lol.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace96 View Post
I didn't really have an issue getting the transmission back in place. It's the exhaust that's being a pain lol. I'm short and trying to use my arms and legs to put it back in place lol.
Well count me healous, I had a nightmare of a time getting mine in. What issue are you having with the exhaust? I usually just try to get a side on and partially thread the nut for that flange
Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just getting it perfectly angled back in really. Since both sides are attached to each other it's awkward trying to hold it and lift and slide both sides just right at the same time. If nothing else, this car will keep me from being in need of a gym. I have muscles that are sore that I didn't even know existed.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just getting it perfectly angled back in really. Since both sides are attached to each other it's awkward trying to hold it and lift and slide both sides just right at the same time. If nothing else, this car will keep me from being in need of a gym. I have muscles that are sore that I didn't even know existed.
Haha welcome to the world of being a car mechanic. It is definitely a pain in the *** threading that mid pipe in the first few times
Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, you'll get the mid pipe. I have become an expert in doing them myself. Jack on the crossover, get one pipe attached loosely to a header, then the other, then both to the flowtubes. Then just start tightening **** up.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You guys are awesome. Thanks!!! Looking forward to learning a lot more from y'all
Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Haha. When I had to put my x back on after my transmission work I laid on the ground with the x on me and lifted it up with one hand and had both pipes aft of the x sitting on my knees and had to do it that way. It was annoying.

Good job on the TO bearing swap though. Especially being so small. I'm 200lbs and lifting and lowering that trans wasn't the most fun thing. Haha

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah the self mid-pipe install is an art form. I get the car on ramps, stick a jackstand under the crossover and then lift one pipe up to the collector and thread the nuts on loosely, then the other, then back at the flowtubes and then just start tightening up like I said.

Now as far as trans removal. I am going to do mine tomorrow FINALLY. I'll take some pics of errthang as I go but its really pretty self explanatory.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Honey I've already dropped it, cleaned it, and put it back in there :p
Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Honey I've already dropped it, cleaned it, and put it back in there :p
Well I hope it wasn't too hard to line the shaft up and get it in.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I hope it wasn't too hard to line the shaft up and get it in.

A little lube always does the trick. Slides right in
Old 05-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
A little lube always does the trick. Slides right in
There's not much a little lube won't fix...

And duct tape.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There's not much a little lube won't fix...

And duct tape.

True story.
I once had an 03 gt. The clutch kept knocking an rattling. Duct tape fixed it when bolts kept snapping. Haha. Lube, duct tape, and silicone. My three favorite items :p
Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Don't forget the handcuffs, jaegermeister and fireworks. Wait, what are we talking about?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't forget the handcuffs, jaegermeister and fireworks. Wait, what are we talking about?

Fireworks?
Ok. You've officially caught my attention. Elaborate that item lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical