1996 gt brake trouble - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #1

Region: New York
1996 gt brake trouble

I just bought a 1996 GT Premium. The guy I bought it from said it only needed brake lines. I also noticed it turned hard. I get it home take apart to find the brake lines are missing from the equalizing block under the master cylinder to the abs control. Also from the abs control to the front driver side caliper. I replaced all the missing lines and bleed. Pedal still goes to the floor with no build up. I replace the master cylinder and still the same thing. This model has the hydrolic booster which is powered form the power steering. With the hard turning I figured it was the power steering pump. I change that and now the pedal comes back up fully on its own but still goes straight to the floor with little pressure to the pads. I am lost. Anyone have this or know how to trouble shoot?
dhaskjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Did you bleed all 4 corners? I always do a power bleed, the pumping method actually always sucks a little air back into the system.

There also was no 1996 GT "Premium". There was a V6 a GT and a Cobra. There was a GTS in 94/95. If this guy told you it was a "premium" edition that sounds sketch as hell.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #3

It has all options, I think that's why he called it a premium. I only did a regular bleed and thought I got it all. I am going to get a pressure bottle and try tomorrow morning. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #4

Oh and by the way. Scuzzi , scuzzi
Old 05-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Get the Motive unit that has the 3 prong cap, a universal cap will just leak on you. Go over ALL your lines and look for any fluid leaks under the car, make sure everything is installed properly. Any ABS codes in the system?

As far as options the only real option those years was leather seats or stick or auto and the Mach audio system. If it has all those I guess you could call it "loaded" lol. Loaded is a VERY operative term for a SN95...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #6

No abs codes yet. Yep all those options plus the bigger rims. It's it awesome shape for an upstate New York car. No rust any where. Underneath is great. The guy I bought it from lowered it did all the brakes new tires just didn't fix the lines. It got 170000 on the od. But he swapped the rear end for 4.10s back at 69000 and never calibrated the od. So I figure there's really like 120000 on it. It's for my son he just passed his road test. He's been driving 6 months and once we get it road worthy it's the only way to learn rear wheel drive.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Does it have pedal pressure with the engine off?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #8

Nope
Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #9

Pressure bleeding worked thanks for the tip.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep, you likely had air in the lines somewhere. When you do a master cyl change... and really all the time it should ALWAYS be a power bleed and not a 2 person pump the brake pedal bleed. Takes forever and you will never get all the air completely out of the lines with that method.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical