Plastic Seat Trim Removal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Plastic Seat Trim Removal

Removing cloth and putting on take-off leathers. I've finished the rear seats and am moving to fronts. I'm having hard time figuring out how to remove the plastic trim and seat adjusting levers. I've watched the motorz video and the trim is different, so removal doesn't quite seem the same.

Has anyone removed these pieces? Any recommendations, so I don't break these pieces?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

blueprint87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'll be attempting this on my 14 GT next weekend. Haven't really looked at anything other than thew motorz video, so I'm not sure but I'll report back once I rip into it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigCiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Been there, done that, broke one clip, and it is a PITA. Take the seat out and reach up inside the framing of the seat to release the clips. They are not easy to get to and you will cut your hand up if not careful. I think there is a tool to make it easier but I never googled it to see since I just did mine by hand.

The lever for seat height has a cover that pops out to give access to the screws holding it on.

The lever for seat back adjustment has the little "ohm" shaped clip that just needs to be pushed out.

Like the Katskin video, the clips on the back part of the seat just pry off and push back on. Watch that video a couple of times and study it. Let me know if you have any other questions and it might jar my memory. It's been a year for mine.
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SGM View Post
Been there, done that, broke one clip, and it is a PITA. Take the seat out and reach up inside the framing of the seat to release the clips. They are not easy to get to and you will cut your hand up if not careful. I think there is a tool to make it easier but I never googled it to see since I just did mine by hand.

The lever for seat height has a cover that pops out to give access to the screws holding it on.

The lever for seat back adjustment has the little "ohm" shaped clip that just needs to be pushed out.

Like the Katskin video, the clips on the back part of the seat just pry off and push back on. Watch that video a couple of times and study it. Let me know if you have any other questions and it might jar my memory. It's been a year for mine.

Are your seats the power seats or regular? Thanks for the help. That's good information to know so I don't break everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have non-power seats. The leather take offs I got were for power seats so the driver's side does not match the bottom 100%. I had to cut a little leather off of the bottom where the height adjustment lever is at to fit them properly.

To describe the clips on the legs of the plastic trim pieces, they are pushed through specific holes in the framing of the seats and there is a spring loaded spreading clip that expands once it goes through the seat frame holes. Once they spread, to disassemle them, you must pinched them back together to slip them out.

It makes for quick assemby at the factory but a pain to ever take them off without the proper tool.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The neat thing is the stitching matches the steering wheel, too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newseats.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	165519  
Old 09-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I have the non-power seats too, so what you're describing helps a little more than the Motorz video.

The seats look good in your car. I'm looking forward to finishing mine up this week.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It'll feel and smell like a whole different car. I hope you have tinted windows though because the leather seats get real hot and burn legs!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, before I forget, I had my passenger side front seat re-zeroed (not sure what Ford calls it) in the computer at the advice of a service guy at Ford. It could be an issue for the weight of a child for the passenger side airbag deployment/disablement. My 9 and 12 year old kids ride in my car often.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I have the non-power seats too, so what you're describing helps a little more than the Motorz video.

The seats look good in your car. I'm looking forward to finishing mine up this week.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It'll feel and smell like a whole different car. I hope you have tinted windows though because the leather seats get real hot and burn legs!

Yup, getting them tinted. Living in New Mexico, I know what you mean about the hot sun and leather seats.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Oh, before I forget, I had my passenger side front seat re-zeroed (not sure what Ford calls it) in the computer at the advice of a service guy at Ford. It could be an issue for the weight of a child for the passenger side airbag deployment/disablement. My 9 and 12 year old kids ride in my car often.

That's good to know. I'll look into that.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks again for the help! I finished up my seats this weekend and I love the look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1410927616.194269.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	643.9 KB
ID:	166283

Old 09-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

They do look great! Any major snags?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Daaang that looks really good! Gives a total different look to the interior.

I like the stitching and the looks. Where did you guys get the take-off leathers? Avg, how long did it take to put on?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

EBay and it took about 3 hours total for mine.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They do look great! Any major snags?

Your advice helped a lot. Major worries were breaking the front cushion valances but once I got past that, was fairly easy install.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Plastic Seat Trim Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
Daaang that looks really good! Gives a total different look to the interior.

I like the stitching and the looks. Where did you guys get the take-off leathers? Avg, how long did it take to put on?

Thank you! Definitely gives a very different look to interior.

I also got my take-offs on eBay. I'd reserve at least 4-5 hours for it but it could be done in less time.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint87 View Post
Thank you! Definitely gives a very different look to interior.

I also got my take-offs on eBay. I'd reserve at least 4-5 hours for it but it could be done in less time.

No prob.

Thanks. I'll search for them tonight. Sounds like a weekend job
Old 09-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I did mine this past weekend as well and am really happy with how it turned out. Took me about 4 hours by myself. Relatively easy although I did break those damn clips but I used some wire to keep anything from being noticeable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigCiv is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical