How to roll your fenders with a roller - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
How to roll your fenders with a roller

Seeing as how being really low is been a recent topic lately. I thought I'd make this "How to" on rolling your fenders for those who don't know how to, or aren't sure of what all entails, and want to fit a larger tire.

What you'll need for this project.
- Jack/stock one-200$
- Jack stands/27-60$
- Ball Pein hammer (rounded nose one)/5-10$
- Heat gun/12-30$
- Fender Roller (many different brands)/50(rent)-300$
- Rag or two
- Electrical tape or painters tape
- Beer (totally optional)

To start you off park your car on a level spot to avoid any rolling (use a chock block to make sure it doesn't roll) and jack up either the front or rear. Depending on what which you want to start on first.

*When you do the rear take both tires off. This will make it much easier to turn the hub since both sides will spin. Because trying to push the roller with a tire on the opposite side is way much harder.

METHOD 1 (hammer+ heat gun)

*This is by far the cheapest and fastest way to get you fenders folded back far enough that it will not touch the tire. But this is also the easiest way for you to mess the paint up like cracking it, chipping it off and even totally removing it from the lip.

Now the fun begins! Tape off the section of the fender your wanting to have rolled back. It makes it easier this way to see what you need to hammer away at.

Once you have it tapped off, use the heat gun and heat up the lip of the fender.
Make its hot enough that it will make you pull your hand back, but not to hot as if it were going to melt skin off. Also avoid keeping the heat gun in one area as you can begin to make your paint bubble up and that's bad.

Once the surface of the lip is hot enough take your rag and place it over the hammer so that it will keep the paint chipping to a minimum.

This is what happens you don't use a rag on the hammer.

Periodically check how hot the surface is and heat it back up when necessary to avoid cracking of the fender (you will do this a lot, re-heating that is).

Once you have the lip of the fender running almost flush to the fender itself your basically done. Just put the wheel back on and check the clearance and see if any thing is running close to the tire.

Method 2 (Fender roller + heat gun)
*This method is by far the slowest and detail orientated method (This is why beer is optional). However this will result in a far better outcome. This method will not chip the paint but you do run the risk of cracking the paint if you don't keep the surface heated constantly

Once you have the wheel off put your fender roller on the hub and use the supplied spacers and your lug nuts to bolt the roller to the hub.

Once you have the roller on and ready to go, place the roller wheel at about a 30 degree angle to allow an upward push of the lip. You don't want any thing past a 45 degree angle as it will take a lot of pressure to force the lip up.

Once you have the roller set to about 30 degrees use the tension screw to put tension on the lip. Heat the surface like you would in the hammer method and do this periodically while you adjust the tension screw to apply more pressure.

You'll have to turn the screw counter clock-wise to apply presure on the lip.

After you have good amount of pressure applied on the lip, grab a hold of it and rock it back and forth, front to rear as this will slowly and I mean slowly bend the lip in depending on how much you apply pressure on it.

In this picture you can see the top part is bent in and I worked my way out.

As the lip begins to fold in you will have to readjust the roller wheels angle to keep that 15-45 degree angle on the lip. As you do this you will also have to adjust the height of the arm to reach the fender lip. Keep doing this and readjusting to get the best angle and placement on the lip. You may have to do this 2-4 times depending on how much you want the lip pushed in and out of the way. *Again make sure you heat the fender constantly* I can't stress this enough!.

After you've pushed the lip in far enough that its now out of the way. Unbolt the roller and place your wheel on, lower it and check the clearance and see what might have to be pushed in a bit more if you didn't go far enough over.

Hope this helps any one that wants to roll fenders in the future!

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Great write-up! I've been meaning to do this for the last year or so but my wheels do t rub anymore so I've been slacking. I gotta remember this when I order some spacers
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! And I couldn't find much on a how to on rolling fenders so I thought I'd share the dos and don'ts I learned while doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

Nice!! My rear fenders need done with my new wheels and was looking for a simple explanation. Thanks!

Currently- 1986 2.3L lx notchback, conversion to SVO 2.3L turbo automatic notchback.
xCrystalxMariex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Not a problem just take your time and be patient

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical