Mach 1 termi swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Mach 1 termi swap?

So I recently bought a mach 1 a month or 2 ago and I think i got the "hunger for power" disease pretty quick. My mach right now has long tube headers and an off road pipe exhaust so not much more power from stock. I was thinking about making it fully bolt on or getting a procharger but then I visited the performance shop over here and the guy there said it would be a lot cheaper to change the engine internals to the 03-04 cobra's. What would I need to change and what do you recommend? Located in the temple Killeen, TX area. Sorry if there's a post about this already I couldn't find one.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
ian taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #2

Ps shes beautiful

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1417969887295.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	171209  
Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mach 1 termi swap?

Hello Taylor,

I believe a Procharger would be the best regards money wise/power wise for your situation.

However, Before you actually commit to that big step, I would do some suspension work, weight reduction, and Ofcourse get Full-Bolt ons first.

What's power with no traction, am I right?

Hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

Best Regards,

- Trevor

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian taylor View Post
So I recently bought a mach 1 a month or 2 ago and I think i got the "hunger for power" disease pretty quick. My mach right now has long tube headers and an off road pipe exhaust so not much more power from stock. I was thinking about making it fully bolt on or getting a procharger but then I visited the performance shop over here and the guy there said it would be a lot cheaper to change the engine internals to the 03-04 cobra's. What would I need to change and what do you recommend? Located in the temple Killeen, TX area. Sorry if there's a post about this already I couldn't find one.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
What kind of power are you looking to put down? If you change out the internals all that gains you is the ability to out more power, at that point you're gonna still need to boost it or run a shot of nitrous
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
What kind of power are you looking to put down? If you change out the internals all that gains you is the ability to out more power, at that point you're gonna still need to boost it or run a shot of nitrous
450 to 500 hp is the max for stock mach 1 motor is only about 480 so still I would be better off doing that first?

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Old 12-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I thought it was closer to 450. But at this point it's all about how you want to go about it. A built motor is gonna be great for later on when you boost it, but at the same time you won't get much fun out of it when it's making the same power as before. I'm a fan of building a motor on the side while boosting the factory motor, but that's just me.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
Hello Taylor,

I believe a Procharger would be the best regards money wise/power wise for your situation.

However, Before you actually commit to that big step, I would do some suspension work, weight reduction, and Ofcourse get Full-Bolt ons first.

What's power with no traction, am I right?

Hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

Best Regards,

- Trevor

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe

I love these posts haha I've literally lmao all day at these bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You want more power out of the car?

-Finish your exhaust with a catback of your choice
-4.30 rear gears (you have a .62 overdrive, 4.30s are fine with the 02-04 cars on the highway)
-Subframe connectors
-MGW shifter
-Max Motorsports Lower Control Arms
-Max Motorsports CC plates
-Springs/Shocks/Struts
-Wheels and tires
-MPT Tune

Car will feel like a completely different animal with this setup and the 4.30s will have you coming out of the hole like gangbusters. Mach has a 7k redline so you wont' run out of gear so fast like a 2V will with that steep of a gear and with the .62 overdrive you should still have an acceptable RPM on the highway in 5th.

As was already mentioned, power is nothing without being able to put it down. I've seen plenty of "big power" cars get smoked by something making way less power but set up better.

Oh, also, if you want to shift at 7k (and shift well in general with the 3650), you need to IMMEDIATELY go out and get new trans fluid and do a drain/fill. The 3650 equipped cars came overfilled from the factory and that overfill caused all sorts of issues. If your trans fluid has never been changed, or even if it has, it could very well be the factory fill of 3.8 quarts. The correct Ford revised fill is 3.2 quarts. Fluid of choice is Pennzoil Synchromesh which you can get at any Autozone. Its in a yellow bottle and about $8 per.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You want more power out of the car?

-Finish your exhaust with a catback of your choice
-4.30 rear gears (you have a .62 overdrive, 4.30s are fine with the 02-04 cars on the highway)
-Subframe connectors
-MGW shifter
-Max Motorsports Lower Control Arms
-Max Motorsports CC plates
-Springs/Shocks/Struts
-Wheels and tires
-MPT Tune

Car will feel like a completely different animal with this setup and the 4.30s will have you coming out of the hole like gangbusters. Mach has a 7k redline so you wont' run out of gear so fast like a 2V will with that steep of a gear and with the .62 overdrive you should still have an acceptable RPM on the highway in 5th.

As was already mentioned, power is nothing without being able to put it down. I've seen plenty of "big power" cars get smoked by something making way less power but set up better.

Oh, also, if you want to shift at 7k (and shift well in general with the 3650), you need to IMMEDIATELY go out and get new trans fluid and do a drain/fill. The 3650 equipped cars came overfilled from the factory and that overfill caused all sorts of issues. If your trans fluid has never been changed, or even if it has, it could very well be the factory fill of 3.8 quarts. The correct Ford revised fill is 3.2 quarts. Fluid of choice is Pennzoil Synchromesh which you can get at any Autozone. Its in a yellow bottle and about $8 per.
Thanks! I've been thinking about the exhaust but I just love the roar of the stock tailpipe it's the perfect tone and not too loud,the xpipe is a good combo. Would the overflow transmission fluid be the cause of the spongey clutch past 5k rpm? I've never redlined or gone past 5500 except when I spin my wheels but I shift after they stop spinning (that's only a little passed it)

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

The clutch should not change feel at all through any RPM. The trans fluid has nothing at all to do with the clutch.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #11

Also, would that stop the clutch cable from sticking, this is my first manual car and sometimes when I release the clutch I hear a click noise I can feel it in the clutch

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Old 12-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #12

Alright thanks for your help!

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Old 12-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Sounds like someone replaced the OEM clutch cable at some point or the original one is on the way out. Now is a good time to buy the Max Motorsports cable/quadrant/adjuster setup. Its $160 for all 3 pieces IIRC.

If you decide to just replace the cable, be warned. ONLY buy an OEM cable or a Max Motorsports (same maker as OEM) cable. Parts store cables and cheap budget cables are inferior, they will hang up and they fail often. I'd replace the factory plastic quadrant though like I said. The MM one is metal and everyone should have a firewall adjuster IMO.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Sounds like someone replaced the OEM clutch cable at some point or the original one is on the way out. Now is a good time to buy the Max Motorsports cable/quadrant/adjuster setup. Its $160 for all 3 pieces IIRC.

If you decide to just replace the cable, be warned. ONLY buy an OEM cable or a Max Motorsports (same maker as OEM) cable. Parts store cables and cheap budget cables are inferior, they will hang up and they fail often. I'd replace the factory plastic quadrant though like I said. The MM one is metal and everyone should have a firewall adjuster IMO.
Could the oem have lasted this long? My car just hit 79000 miles today :thumbdown: what about the clutch? Should it have been replaced already also?

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Old 12-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Depends on how it was driven. Driven well both should last over 100k but if the previous owner was an idiot, who knows. Could have also had some previous owner who thought they were upgrading with a "high performance" cable or something.

But if the clutch feels normal at idle and at low RPM are you for sure it changes in feel above 5500 rpm?

Honestly I'd do a new cable/quadrant/adjuster first if I was having clutch feel issues and then go from there. Even if it doesn't fix it, its all good preventative maintenance.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #16

That's true, I'll get it checked out

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Old 12-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #17

Best thing to do is a full terms swap lol

mr5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #18

Ya I looked around for an engine but couldn't find one less than $8000 lol

Sent from my Galaxy S5

---------- Post added at 04:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr5oh View Post
Best thing to do is a full terms swap lol

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Old 12-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Gotta pay to play. Any built motor is going to cost about that or more.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Gotta pay to play. Any built motor is going to cost about that or more.
My engine is only at 77k miles and I have a friend who bought a complete terminator engine and trans for 6000 I'm hoping I'll find someone as generous for parts

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Old 12-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Best bet if you want to do a termi swap is to find a wrecked donor. They used to go for that price but not sure now.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Best bet if you want to do a termi swap is to find a wrecked donor. They used to go for that price but not sure now.
Ok thanks for the tip, I'll keep looking

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Old 01-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #23
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Don't trash a Mach 1 by doing a Terminator engine swap. Just go buy a Terminator. It would be much better on your wallet too. IMO, being a Mach 1 is special and worth more having an OEM engine. Beside, a Mach 1 that isn't using the shaker hood is just ridiculous! I think Procharger makes a kit for the Mach that uses the shaker system, but it's expensive. You can only boost those aluminum blocks so far. That's why I'd just trade up for a Cobra if I needed that much more power.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can put the shaker on top of the m112 and it's a bolt in affair. Very common and cheap and easy.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I did a Terminator swap on my Mach 1 many years ago and used a Whipple instead of the Eaton. Oh and I was the first. My results made it into a magazine.

2003 Mustang Mach 1 - Modified Mustangs & Fords
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Not bad, my old 03 cobra made right at 600 with 18 psi with a 2.3l whipple. On 93

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

My 2.3 Whipple made 718 rwhp/735 rwtq @ 25.5 lbs. of boost on 93 octane mixed with a lot of Torco. But it had a built motor with 9.1:1 compression.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
My 2.3 Whipple made 718 rwhp/735 rwtq @ 25.5 lbs. of boost on 93 octane mixed with a lot of Torco. But it had a built motor with 9.1:1 compression.

Oh yea I remember you said before that it got to a power level where it was almost a pain to have. The torco makes sense.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1421190025069.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	173496  
Old 01-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Oh yea I remember you said before that it got to a power level where it was almost a pain to have. The torco makes sense.
It was to much for the street.

Very nice Rap. The 03-04 Cobras still hold up extremely well.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I remember seeing yours in the magazine back when they put it out. It was a sick car.

My old one is still running strong, I sold it to my uncle, still the same except he put 20's on it for some odd *** reason.

Latest pic of it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1421191066953.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	173497  
Old 01-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
It was to much for the street.

Very nice Rap. The 03-04 Cobras still hold up extremely well.
Did you tune it yourself Grabber?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #33
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I remember seeing yours in the magazine back when they put it out. It was a sick car.

My old one is still running strong, I sold it to my uncle, still the same except he put 20's on it for some odd *** reason.

Latest pic of it.

I spy R888s

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I spy R888s

That would be them lol

Old 01-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Did you tune it yourself Grabber?
No I didn't. A good friend of mine did.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical