2008 Long Tube Header Install HELP! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2008 Long Tube Header Install HELP!

TL;DR: Entire header install stopped because of 2 studs. Help.

Tried installing LT headers this past weekend. I've never done an upgrade like this myself but figured it would be a great learning experience for my dad and I. If anyone has ever done a LT header install you know how big of a pain it can be. Well I need your help!

After getting everything removed, engine lifted, old exhaust manifold removed and the new LT's ready to put on everything came to a hault because of 2 freaking studs. Majority of the studs came out of the block that held the exhaust manifold on by just removing the nuts, but 2 on the drivers side REFUSE to come out.

We tried the double nut method, a stud extractor (thats adjustable, it just striped the 5mm stud worse) and everything else we could think of. It really pissed me off because of those little studs everything had to be put back together stock.

I really don't want to pay $600+ for a header install when the only problem I have is 2 freaking studs. So if any of you have done this same install and had the same problem what did you do? I'm desperate after all the money i've spent and just want to get this project over with. Thanks in advance!
Shadow322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Douse those suckers in some Liquid Wrench/PB Blaster/etc. and let them sit for a bit. That may help loosen them up. I sprayed mine down the night prior and then a lil more just before doing my headers. All came out with no issues.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Douse those suckers in some Liquid Wrench/PB Blaster/etc. and let them sit for a bit. That may help loosen them up. I sprayed mine down the night prior and then a lil more just before doing my headers. All came out with no issues.

Sent from the Death Star.
Yea I think that's what I'm going to do the only problem is how to grab onto them since the 5mm head is stripped. Going to just get a tack welder from harbor freight and weld a damn nut onto the stud to turn it lol
Shadow322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Crank two nuts together midway down stud. Wrench em out

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oop just saw you tried that...how did it not work???

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical