Rear Brake Caliper Compression - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Rear Brake Caliper Compression

Hey guys,

There are a lot of different brake threads out there so I figured I would post just a technical one in case anyone is having issues with this. Did power performance brakes yesterday from AM and it took me forever to get the rear calipers compressed. This problem usually stems from the piston being all the way extended from worn brakes. I read a bunch of solutions like get a buddy to hold it, hit it with a hammer and the dreaded cube tool for fords. However, I feel I figured out what worked for me. First and foremost the piston has to be rotated CLOCKWISE. Thats why there are two groves on it. But rotating it alone will not do the trick. There needs to be pressure as you rotate. So I rented a caliper press from autozone, but if the piston is extend all the way the tool wont fit. So how in the world do you get it in by yourself??? Well start by putting the caliper and caliper bracket back on WITHOUT the rotots and pads. Then remove the backplate from the tool and use your body weight to push and turn the tool. After a good couple of turns it should be in far enough for you to smack the tool in and use it as intended. Once you get it started its a breeze. However, I read all over the place yesterday that this usually stumped people for hours. Hopefully this helps someone out there so you can crack a beer way earlier than I was able to!
2010 GT, Airaid CAI with BAMA 87 Performance Tune, and Flowmaster Outlaws
gweze001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical