Overfilling 8.8 Differential - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Overfilling 8.8 Differential

Recently I had a GT500 differential cover installed on my 2007 GT. After arriving home and looking at the invoice, I noticed that the shop put 3.5 quarts of fluid and another one of friction modifier. In scouting the forums, the GT500 cover would only require 4.6 pints. I'm thinking that I need pull the filler plug and let whatever overfilled fluid drain out. Comments??
rogcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Unless the differential was filled with the rear end not level, the most that they could have filled it is up to the bottom of the refill plug.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The GT500 differential cover has a drain plug at the bottom, and a fill plug at the top. My guess is that the tech. filled it to the edge of the top plug, and not the regular fill hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogcat1 View Post
The GT500 differential cover has a drain plug at the bottom, and a fill plug at the top. My guess is that the tech. filled it to the edge of the top plug, and not the regular fill hole.
I agree with this observation. With your car level on four jack stands I would open the fill plug on the differential housing and let any excess fluid drain from there. Best done out of the garage because gear lube has been known to stink.

The friction modifier comes in a much smaller container than 1 quart. It is possible the GT500 cover adds a little volume as well over the OEM cover.

MOTM winner May 2015 "Best mods Mustang". Please View my Garage for complete details on modifications.
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately, I'll have to drain it in the garage, as my driveway slopes away from the house.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Scott2:
I looked at your photos. Not much left that's stock. Also, I've been considering the TCI ratchet shifter for my GT. What is your opinion on the shifter. By the way, very nice car.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Scott2:
I looked at your photos. Not much left that's stock. Also, I've been considering the TCI ratchet shifter for my GT. What is your opinion on the shifter. By the way, very nice car.
The TCI shifter is pretty cool, but I must admit I let the computer shift for me.

Thanks for the compliment on my car, I have been modding it for six years now and clearly I am addicted!

If you are draining gear lube in your garage I would put any paper towels you use to clean the diff housing in a couple layers of plastic bags and tie them closed. I maybe to sensitive but I hate the smell of gear lube especially any that has gone a few K miles.

MOTM winner May 2015 "Best mods Mustang". Please View my Garage for complete details on modifications.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My wife sees her car as a means of getting from point A to B, and nothing more, so mods on my car are something she doesn't understand. I grew up in Los Angeles when lowered customs and hot rods were king. When George Barris customs were awesome. Really like the looks of the TCI shifter, and may get it just for that reason. I appreciate your input about the differential fluid. My main concern was as to whether or not driving it with that amount of fluid in the diff. would damage anything. By the way, I'm 77 years young, and lovin modding my GT.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My wife sees her car as a means of getting from point A to B, and nothing more, so mods on my car are something she doesn't understand. I grew up in Los Angeles when lowered customs and hot rods were king. When George Barris customs were awesome. Really like the looks of the TCI shifter, and may get it just for that reason. I appreciate your input about the differential fluid. My main concern was as to whether or not driving it with that amount of fluid in the diff. would damage anything. By the way, I'm 77 years young, and lovin modding my GT.
OK, I am 63 years young and have had one arthritic hip replaced already. Still have arthritis in both knees and the killer....lower back. Modding my car is a slow process these days!

Old 05-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Getting old ain't for sissies. What I'm doing is reliving my youth. Had a 1951 Ford Victoria, that we chopped the top 3.5 inches, put on a carson top. Mercury grille, corners rounded on hood corners, with louvers, shaved door handles, trunk, frenched headlights, and taillight. Installed a 1956 Thunderbird engine. Oldsmobile spinners on the wheels. Obviously, lowered front and rear, couldn't pass over a pack of cigarettes without knocking them over. Ah, the good old days.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The Victoria sounds really cool, don't get me going on the good old days, this is me a little over 40 years ago in a Boss 302 powered 1965 Comet.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Dealer agreed that they overfilled the diff. and will siphon off a quart.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Raced the 51 Vic at a deserted airstrip in Kansas City when I was in the military. Was very hard on clutches.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Dealer agreed that they overfilled the diff. and will siphon off a quart.
Make sure they check to make sure the pinion seal is still holding...they've been known to spring a leak.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Good idea. Also since they; overfilled the differential, I would think that the friction modifier would be diluted.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
Not if they put a quart in there lol.

You only need 4oz of friction modifier
Old 06-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Yup. Those ports on the GT500 cover are intended for an oil cooler so the upper one at least is not calibrated as a fill port, rather it's a return port for the cooler. The lower one does make a handy drain and may be reason enough to install one of those covers.

Surprised you weren't blowing lube out the breather cap all over the place!
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical