94 3.8 Head Gasket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
Region: New York
94 3.8 Head Gasket

Hello All,

This might be posted on here elsewhere but I couldnt seem to find the thread...

Last week my 94 3.8L massively overheated, blew the freeze out plug on the drivers side. Car stalled and wouldn't restart until it cooled down..had to drive the car home..about 15 miles 3 miles at a clip over the course of 3 hours letting it cool and refilling with water along the journey..

Replaced the freeze out with one of those rubber expandables, changed the oil, and found that there's water breaking through..

Removed the cylinder heads and found the break in the drivers side gasket..Also found that the cylinder closest to the firewall on the drivers side looks a little rust-ish, the wall of the cylinder is not as smooth as the others but nothing too bad..

I'm installing all new gaskets and having both heads milled..

My questions are:

What else could have been damaged by this overheating episode that I'm not thinking of?

What else should I replace while I'm in there?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Eth0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Region: South Carolina
94 3.8 Head Gasket

I like to replace the radiator, hoses, pump and t stat. Might as well while its apart for cooling piece of mind. It also helps clear out in crud that may have been circulating in the system. At the very least give the system a good flush.

Ford realized they had an issue with head gaskets on the 94-95. I believe it was remedied for the 96-98 engines by increasing the torque specs on the head bolts. I don't have the exact numbers off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical