DIY Carputer - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
DIY Carputer

So I'm looking for a winter project, and I think I've settled on making a carputer. I'd like to use a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B to make something that can display gauges on the auxilary input from my Raxiom nav system as well as play media. Yes, I know I can use the thumb drive inside the console but the factory interface is a bit clunky.

I'm considering using the power plug inside the console of my '13 since it turns on and off with the car. The Raxiom has an auxilary input for video and sound and the Raspberry Pi has video out and audio out.

Currently I'm hunting for OBD2 interface. I know the digital dash can display various gauges but only one at a time. I'm not entirely sure about the cable routing yet, but I know I want to hardwire and not use bluetooth since there is a bit of lag.

Has anyone done any tinkering with the Pi 2? For $40 the computer will at least be something to play around with, and attachments aren't that much more.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Very interesting project. I wish the dash display would have an option to show 4 gauges at a time or if they were located elsewhere like on the Camaro with aux gauge pack. I really only use the display for MPG rating to see my driving habits or more importantly my brother's driving style when I let him use my car, not that it's 100% accurate. Will keep checking back on your progress for sure.
VeryVeryEvilGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Done some more thinking on this. I know the Raxiom has a USB cable zip tied coming off the back of it. I don't guess anyone knows if that would hook up to something external that would allow the touch screen to function? This has been the one sticking point, I will need a mouse or some way to control the computer. I have a small bluetooth trackpad, but I'm thinking more of a handheld mouse with a roller ball, something that could sit in the cupholder or console when not in use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Well, a bit later than I wanted to start on this project, but a start never the less. Ordered a Pi 2 model B, case, power cable, hdmi-rca converter, and Bluetooth obd2 scanner (couldn't find one wired that was small enough, don't want to see the cable at all).

I learned that the usb plug on the Raxiom is for iPod integration and nothing else so it will stay bundled up behind the radio.

Based on my experience with the usb plug in the console, I know it doesn't supply power when the car is off. That is the plug I will use for my carputer.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Old 06-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

So, almost forgot I had this thread. New job and a move set me back some, but progress has been made!

I gave my dad the Pi 2 and got a Pi 3.

Use the aux input on the Raxiom and got the proper RCA cable for the Pi. Still working on the program to use the Bluetooth obd2 info for a live display.

Next challenge is power; you can't just cut power to the Pi because you can potentially corrupt the memory card (the OS runs off the card). There are a few different options I'm looking at that will run the shutdown sequence when power to the USB port is lost and maintain power long enough with a small capacitor.

Finally I need to adjust the display some; I thought I had figured out that the display on the Raxiom was 800x480 but it is either off a bit or I need to adjust my overscan settings on the Pi.

More to come!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1465503342.254623.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	202245
Sorry for the dusty display...

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1465503362.854262.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	202246

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Old 06-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Got Bluetooth OBD working!

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1465530424.008724.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	202258

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1465530455.440779.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	202259

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Old 10-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #7

Region: Texas
Make anymore progress on this? Was debating something similar.

Also on a side note how do you like the head unit?
chappys4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical