14 GT high beam wire - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
14 GT high beam wire

Does anyone know which wire and color I can tap into near the headlight housing for adding a relay triggered by high beams?
I think I'm going to install a pair of Rigid LED floods behind my lower grill mesh where they're hardly noticeable when they're off. I previously had these wired on a front brush guard on an Expedition. I wired them to a relay that's triggered when I turn on my high beams. Of course, they're not legal wired that way but ... I live in a very rural area that has frequent deer and moose hazards especially at night. The Rigid LEDs are jumbo jet bright and help me spot the critters. It's usually easy to tell if another vehicle is coming in plenty of time to turn off the high beams and Rigids so they're not blinded. *Also..if I simply wired them to my fog light wires, it would actually take longer to dim them off as compared to the high beam /low beam action. Before state inspection I just unplug them.
To get an idea, I drove about 15 miles to my part time / on call / supposedly I'm retired job tonight around midnight. I think I saw two other cars the whole time. It's two lane mountain roads 40-50 mph limit. VERY moose infested area.
I previously wired it to the high beams using the cut and splice trial and error method but I'd rather not cut unnecessary stuff this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	189500  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 03:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Here they were on my Expedition. Could see the deer in plenty of time to crush them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	995.5 KB
ID:	189504  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Well u don't have to cut and splice. U can grab a simple pair of wire strippers.

Here's the method

Use the correct gauge selection and cut into the wire insulation without cutting the wire. With it still on the wire just slid down the insulation a little bit and expose some bare wire. Wrap your new wire on and presto. You have a spliced in connecting with out cutting factory wires. If you've got the wrong wire simply undo the connection and tape it back up so its properly insulated and you'll never cut a factory wire again

Hope that helps

2013 pp mca 3.7 glass roof
2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

More coming visually for now.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical