Electrical Problems? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Question Electrical Problems?

Hi all,

I have a 2013 V6 that I've been happy with (aside from the misfiring in sport mode due to the intake I installed, but I've come to live with that).

Recently, about a month and a half ago, I had my battery die (that happens every few months due to my radar detector being always on, if I leave it for more than a couple days it dies). This time, when I jumped it, it had some weird electrical issues that have come up.

When I first jumped it, it seemed to have a lot of electrical abnormalities. The first one I noticed was that my driver window didn't work. That started working again after I turned the car off and back on, though. Another thing was that it wouldn't release my key when turning the car off, it did that for a day or two then that seemed to fix itself. However, some other things have continued to not work since then.

A few things that I've noticed aren't working right since then:
1. The steering lock just doesn't work when in park, the steering wheel can be turned freely.
2. My front left foglight stopped working. Could be that the HID bulb died... but it's unlikely that it happened at the exact same time as everything else, yes?
3. I've just now noticed that I can't get any heat when the car is not under power. The car heats up to normal temperature at a normal speed (at least according to the temperature gauge), but I can't get any heat to come out of the system unless I'm running really high RPMs. If I put the car in 2nd, heat will come out as I'm running high RPMs, but anything short of a good amount of power results in cold air for the first 15-20 minutes that I'm in the car. Unless I'm on the interstate of course, then it is under load and gives normal heat.

The last one is the one that finally prompted me to inquire about this, because where I am, it is now in the 20s every day and the heat thing is becoming more of an issue.

I have checked all of the fuses in the cabin, especially the ones relating to any of the issues I've described, and they're all fine. It's like these are all tied together, but randomly, and are related to something I'm missing.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, or have any ideas of things I might try? Beyond fuses, I'm really pretty lost to what it could be..
vcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
On the heat problem, does the fan not blow at all or does the fan blow and only blows cold air?

All this could be a blown bcm from improper jump start procedures

if the later check coolent level
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcantrell View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2013 V6 that I've been happy with (aside from the misfiring in sport mode due to the intake I installed, but I've come to live with that).

Recently, about a month and a half ago, I had my battery die (that happens every few months due to my radar detector being always on, if I leave it for more than a couple days it dies). This time, when I jumped it, it had some weird electrical issues that have come up.

When I first jumped it, it seemed to have a lot of electrical abnormalities. The first one I noticed was that my driver window didn't work. That started working again after I turned the car off and back on, though. Another thing was that it wouldn't release my key when turning the car off, it did that for a day or two then that seemed to fix itself. However, some other things have continued to not work since then.

A few things that I've noticed aren't working right since then:
1. The steering lock just doesn't work when in park, the steering wheel can be turned freely.
2. My front left foglight stopped working. Could be that the HID bulb died... but it's unlikely that it happened at the exact same time as everything else, yes?
3. I've just now noticed that I can't get any heat when the car is not under power. The car heats up to normal temperature at a normal speed (at least according to the temperature gauge), but I can't get any heat to come out of the system unless I'm running really high RPMs. If I put the car in 2nd, heat will come out as I'm running high RPMs, but anything short of a good amount of power results in cold air for the first 15-20 minutes that I'm in the car. Unless I'm on the interstate of course, then it is under load and gives normal heat.

The last one is the one that finally prompted me to inquire about this, because where I am, it is now in the 20s every day and the heat thing is becoming more of an issue.

I have checked all of the fuses in the cabin, especially the ones relating to any of the issues I've described, and they're all fine. It's like these are all tied together, but randomly, and are related to something I'm missing.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, or have any ideas of things I might try? Beyond fuses, I'm really pretty lost to what it could be..
Heat issue- it sounds like you have air in the system, bleed the air out of the coolant system.
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Put that, "radar detector being always on" problem, at the top of your list of things to be fixed.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Put that, "radar detector being always on" problem, at the top of your list of things to be fixed.
+1.

If you power it off the mirror, it'll be on the accessory delay circuit, coming on with the ignition and shutting off when you open the door to exit the car--automatically.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical