PATS chipped key bypass - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
PATS chipped key bypass

Howdy all again. This one I KNOW is old news since I've been doing it for ages. But since I just had to do it again and get asked from time to time, here you go with an old installers trick.

PATS keys are... dumb in my opinion. They make a vehicle mildly more difficult to steal but not noticeably so if someone really wants your ride. I think the ford system only prevents the fuel pump from turning on, so simple enough to bypass that in about 10 minutes, but whatever. The systems are everywhere so we get to deal with it. It makes things difficult if you're doing a remote starter and can make things expensive if you lose one of your keys.

The way a PATS system works is pretty simple. A chipped key contains an RFID capsule. When energized it sends out 1 specific signal. If your car recognizes the RFID, it starts. If not, it doesn't.

Since remote starters don't have the RFID you're stuck with installing a bypass module that either steals one of your precious precious keys forever, or a more expensive module that mimics/bypass the RFID. The key in module is cheap, except for basically losing $150 worth of car key to use it. So just as good IMO is a $1 bypass.

Done with the rant and on to the work!. To access the parts you'll need to remove the ignition lock and at the plastic clamshell steering column cover.

This is the PATS antenna (black ring) and module (black box below it.) The antenna is what queries the RFID capsule in the key. It has fairly limited range so if the capsule isn't close it's not going to work. So a chipped key in your pocket and a regular key in the ignition will just crank and crank, not start and run.

You have a couple different options here. You can take a working key, remove the capsule and then secure it to the antenna. This will make the car think that a correct key is in the ignition and you can start the car with non-chipped keys. The downside is you'll be losing a key to make this happen.

So the next option is to create a secondary antenna for the RFID chip itself. It's quick and as I prefer, non-destructive. No splice or cutting of wires and you can go back to stock form at will.

All you need is a length of narrow gauge wire. Strip and connect both ends (I use solder and tape) to create a loop. Then wrap and secure the wire around the key like so.

I have tried to use a length of non-looped wire, like this pic, but found it DIDN'T work. Once looped though, off to the races!.

Take the rest of the wire and wrap tightly around the PATS antenna, secure it with tape also.

Then put the key pretty much wherever you want.

At this point test your work before you button everything up! Try starting the car with either a normal key or with the remote starter. If it starts and runs you did it right. If not re position the wires and try again. And there you go, an inexpensive fix for a silly problem. The PATS system energizes and the wire wrap works as an antenna sending the request to the key, and the key responds through its new antenna. Ezpeezy.

Interesting note about the PATS system in this car. In the past every bypass I've done was a little different as only the antenna was in the ignition area. The module itself was located elsewhere so I would generally just pull the antenna and secure it directly to the key and put the hole thing somewhere safe. I was unable to do this with this car. If the module is moved away from the steering column, it won't work. There is a 2-3" flatish section of the module, my guess is it contains and inductance coil that can see if it's next to a large ground area or not. Move it away, no start, move it back and you're up and running again. So, key antenna!

And since the key isn't trashed if you ever find you need the actual key, just pull it out of where you have it stashed and you're set.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016, 01:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Or you can have a tuner, or Ford disable PATS.

I hate the PATS feature.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:09 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If it can cause a potential thief to move to the next, easier to steal vehicle, then it did its job for me. I'll keep my PATS system intact.

Might be an interesting talk with your insurance company should your vehicle with its PATS system bypassed get broke into or stolen.
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If it can cause a potential thief to move to the next, easier to steal vehicle, then it did its job for me. I'll keep my PATS system intact.

Might be an interesting talk with your insurance company should your vehicle with its PATS system bypassed get broke into or stolen.
When I turned 18 I became a locksmith. I the pursued the career and became a master locksmith and safe tech. I owned my own locksmith company while I lived in Atlanta and helped with an automotive performance aftermaket company. I continued owning the business while working at NOPI until I sold the company.

I said all of that to say; a security system is only intact to keep an honest man honest. Any car can be stolen.

As for someone that had to work on PATS and VATS systems; I despise them for the problems they can and do cause.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

I'll take that into consideration, if any one can post a single instance in the thousand or so daily car thefts that happen every day. A majority of the
Stolen car cases i worked were cars with factory "security".

Until then ill think of it as every other type of perceived safety. Locks keep the honest honest, do nothing to thieves. If someone wants to break into your car, pats will do nothing. If they want to steal it, next to nothing. If it makes ford an extra $200 just because i lost a $.20 key... or is that one of the reasons it exists?
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical