Mustang Evolution Forum banner

DIY Homemade Mac Prochamber

13K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Dasan458 
#1 ·
I've been looking to put a prochamber on my v6 but don't want to spend the money for the real thing, so I decided to build my own. Not gonna look like show room stuff but I'm not worried, it'll look better after its painted.

So for those who don't what what it is, it's basically a mid pipe like and X or H pipe but better.

I'm using the skin off of a very large muffler from a Toyota Camry I had sitting around. But you can pick up a few pieces of sheet metal at a hardware store but don't get plain steel as it will rust very fast.

Tools/Parts Needed: Some type of metal cutter (I'm using steel shears), a flat head auto body hammer (will post pick later), pencil/marker, tape measure, straight edge, grinder, welder, galvanized sheet metal, some exhaust pipes/connectors, and a drill (will explain later).

Sent from my XT1254 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#2 ·
I am currently working on this project and some others and will post when I can. 1st pic is a prochamber last pick is the blueprint.

Attachments

#7 ·
It's another mid pipe variation. Give a nice "hollow" sound to the exhuast is the best way I can describe it. Instead of an x or h, it's almost like the started with an x, cut the middle chunk of it out and added a box. Supposed to make more power, but we all know how that goes. I love them purely for the magical sound the make.

"Insert clever phase here"

#10 ·
Day 2:
I cut out all the outside pieces. They look like crap I should have gone for galvanized steel, as a result the metal is out of shape, but then again, it is going under the car and not going to be seen and painted with a coat of high temp red paint. I'm not the best welder as the pic shows but atleast I can do it.

I had to cut out 2 sheets of each side and layer it with 2 layers because the metal is thin. Also I had to weld up holes from drilling out the spot weld in the muffler. I used a ball pein hammer to taper the end of the pipe so it would stay in place as I welded it to the sheet metal. The second hammer is the body hammer I posted about earlier.

The reason it looks shiny is because I was grinding the rust off and the spot weld flush with the metal.

Attachments

#15 ·
gonna put this project on hold right now I had my truck poop on me and my Stang is the only thing running. Also I managed to find a prochamber at the junkyard and got headers off a sn95. Don't have the money for cats though ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.