building on a budget - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Question building on a budget

what is up guys. i have been looking for a 5.0 for a majority of the short time that i have been on this earth. started with an old foxbody obsession and then the coyote came out... I am looking for a 13-14 coyote. when i started my search i would only look for cars with the track pack, brembos, and reccaros (o and 3 pedals with a 6speed of course. if it dont have 3 pedals, get out my face ). i have since dropped that criteria to solely the track pack. my question is this: if i buy a base 13-14 5.0, how hard is it to swap in a boss radiator, the 3.73s and the boss diff. any and all advice on this topic is greatly appreciated. if its too much work and extra money i might just wait for a year and a half til i can jump into a fully loaded out car.
please let me know what you guys think!
thanks,
-Sean
RedAtlGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Let me start off with asking why you want to swap to the boss radiator?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Eh cause it comes in the track pack haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Waste of money

Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Is that bad information? I would just wanna add all of the track pack parts. If it doesnt change too much I probably would leave the stock one in

Old 04-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Just buy a base and get some 3.73s installed

Old 04-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would hold off and get the track pack if that's what you want. Between the brembos, gears, and wheels you can easily spend quite a bit if your 100 percent set on having al features of the track pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Forgot about the brembos

Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just saying if he's 100% on cloning the track pack especially if he's paying for installation he will be better off in the long run to wait for what he wants.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Get the parts you would actually need. The car won't be anything special if its a non-track pack model with track pack parts added in. That radiator you would only need if you plan to actually track the car on a road course. If you don't see yourself doing that then spend the money elsewhere.

If you really really really want all those track pack parts and for it to actually mean something.... get the track pack model.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:51 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I'm not necessarily looking for that sentimental aspect of the track pack. Just the performance. As it looks right now I think I'm just going to wait. I'm getting married in 18 months so after that I'll be able to go out and find THE mustang haha.
A couple weeks ago I test drove a 2014 deep impact blue 5.0 6 speed with leather reccaros, brembos, and the track pack. Man it was perfect. It was at a big ford dealership tho =/ after they factored in my trade the price went up 4 grand from all of their insane fees. Had to take my keys and walk. If they had been legit I would have been perfectly in my price point and I'd be driving a coyote haha. I hate dealerships...but I love buying cars haha

Old 04-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAtlGT View Post
Yea I'm not necessarily looking for that sentimental aspect of the track pack. Just the performance. As it looks right now I think I'm just going to wait. I'm getting married in 18 months so after that I'll be able to go out and find THE mustang haha.
A couple weeks ago I test drove a 2014 deep impact blue 5.0 6 speed with leather reccaros, brembos, and the track pack. Man it was perfect. It was at a big ford dealership tho =/ after they factored in my trade the price went up 4 grand from all of their insane fees. Had to take my keys and walk. If they had been legit I would have been perfectly in my price point and I'd be driving a coyote haha. I hate dealerships...but I love buying cars haha

What fees brought the selling price up $4000.00 more?
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I own a 14 GT base and prefer that because I am modding it to my own style. I actually have saved money in the long run such as installing items like the premium GT cluster, and other mods to where it performs just like a premium model or even better, imo. I did get the Boss 302 radiator. I enjoy my Mustang because of the countless mods out there. Just enjoy your Mustang once you get it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
askusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I agree , save your money & buy the real thing . Or You can go the Poser route & just put the Badges on . Only Joking , hate when Guys do that.
WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Do like I do,
Bought a 3.7 V6 automatic,
Bought some super snake emblems.
Now I have a super Snake Shelby without spending a lot of money.
If you don't want to go big, you can just get the 5.0 emblems a heck of a lot cheaper.
If you can't find anything with a track-pack on it, just buy it and tell everybody it has the track-pack.
Ronnie

PS: Just joking but as we know, Some people do this and think people don't know.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post

There's a chance that may have included taxes, title and registration fee if it was that high which eventually have to be paid regardless aside from any dealer processing fees which is the only savings from buying from a private party

Old 04-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
I'm not sure exactly what the fees were but they were all just bologna dealer fees. Lot fees, washing and prep fees, driving it from the back lot to the front lot fees. tax tag and title should habe been around $2500+/-. they claimed they were giving my 7 for my car (after I talked them up from 5) and it still went up that much. I gave up with them at that point haha. I was so freakn pumped for that car too.
Edit: just thinking, they would have put the TVAT in there too but common. They are pretty much saying there $11,000 in tax tag title and fees on a $23,000 car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Do like I do,
Bought a 3.7 V6 automatic,
Bought some super snake emblems.
Now I have a super Snake Shelby without spending a lot of money.
If you don't want to go big, you can just get the 5.0 emblems a heck of a lot cheaper.
If you can't find anything with a track-pack on it, just buy it and tell everybody it has the track-pack.
Ronnie

PS: Just joking but as we know, Some people do this and think people don't know.
You scared me for a second there man hahaha

Old 04-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Gotta Pay To Play ..... with the cost of cars these days [ some are more than a house in the area I live ] whats 4 grand , its worth it if you're getting what you want
Old 04-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Go to a reputable Ford dealer and see about a leftover 2016 and Ford offers 72 month zero financing.
See if you can afford a new mustang with your trade in.
I love my 3.7 V6 but I know you are set on a V8.
I rode in a friends 4 cylinder the other day and he bought some sort of package from Ford that increased his horsepower and torque without messing up the warranty. I was really impressed how the four cylinder got up and went.
Don't get me wrong, but if I was on a budget and getting married, I would consider a new Mustang Turbo four with the performance package.
Good MPG
Cheap insurance
Fun to drive
and very quick.
not to mention the new car warranty.
Just something to think about.
Ronnie
Old 04-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
11/12 cars are like $18k right now for ones in good shape. Get an auto, get a circle D converter, get a full longtube exhaust setup and BMR suspension and a good tune and run 11s all day.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thats Good advice for some 1 on a budget
Old 04-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I had a 14 TrakPak car and really loved it. I spent over $6k in mods but should have left it stock...just hind sight being 20/20.
TrakPak has the Boss 302 radiator and core support, engine oil cooler, runs 5/50 oil, has the re-enforced aluminum rearend cover, painted rear axle housing instead of unpainted axle tubes, different shocks and struts...other than that it's kind of between a GT and Boss 302 without the intake and cams.
If it were me, I'd look for a real deal TrakPak although they didn't really make them in 11, did in 12/13/14...the numbers are less than 5000 made in 14 and not sure about 12 and 13.
As everyone else said, if you want to get a GT and mod it, then just buy a GT although I wouldn't spend money on the TrakPak stuff, just putting the 3.73's in will make a big difference in the way the car drives with the manual 6spd...IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 Mustang.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	229426   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 Mustang1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	229434  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-20 17.39.58.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	229450  
Attached Images

olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go to a reputable Ford dealer and see about a leftover 2016 and Ford offers 72 month zero financing.
See if you can afford a new mustang with your trade in.
I love my 3.7 V6 but I know you are set on a V8.
I rode in a friends 4 cylinder the other day and he bought some sort of package from Ford that increased his horsepower and torque without messing up the warranty. I was really impressed how the four cylinder got up and went.
Don't get me wrong, but if I was on a budget and getting married, I would consider a new Mustang Turbo four with the performance package.
Good MPG
Cheap insurance
Fun to drive
and very quick.
not to mention the new car warranty.
Just something to think about.
Ronnie
I mean this was a pretty reputable dealer haha. Think they saw me (I'm only 26) and figured they could pull a fast one on me (pun intended haha). I 100% understand what you saying. I'd kill for an s550 but I dream about coyotes all hours of the day man. I've driven the 3.7 and the EB but there's something about the howl of the coyote. I'm just an American muscle, v8 guy haha. First car was a 97 thunderbird with the 4.6. I love my 06 GT that I daily now so it'll keep me busy til next fall(if it had a 6th speed and a 5.0 man...)(been looking at coyote swaps too but I don't really have the money or garage to pull that off affordably haha). I just want a 6speed with a coyote haha. It will be mine...some day in the not to distant future. I've always wanted a ghig 2013 boss302 so if one of those pops up reasonably I'm jumping on it haha. Thanks for all the advice team!

Old 04-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Cool, Please let us know when you find your GT.
Good hunting and good luck.
Ronnie
Old 04-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Go to another Dealer & see if they can beat that price , even if you gotta go to a near by state it may be worth the travel
Old 04-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

O i am not opposed to flying somewhere to get the perfect one of that's what it takes. The first drive home is the best drive anyways haha. My search will continue. Thanks giys! And thanks for the welcome to the forums. I'm kinda new on here and I've been looking for the right mustang forum. Think I found it haha.
PS anyone from GA area check out the regional post. Me and another guy were talking about a meet up and possibly a tail of the dragon run. All invited!

Old 04-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Dont settle for nothing less than what you want , Believe me, you wont be happy in the long run , Have done it myself . Good Luck & let us know when your behind the wheel.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

War Horse is 100% correct,
There is not much worse then buyers remorse.
You will know when you see the Mustang you will love.
I was lucky because on that stormy, rainy Sunday as I walked thru the dealers lot to look at Focuses, My Mustang yelled out. """RONNIE-LOOK At Me""" It was love at first sight and I love my RED RYDER today as much as the first day I seen him.
I just had a chance to trade even up for a 2015 Camaro SS V8 4,000 mile auto with everything on it and my answer was "NO WAY"
Money wise, It would have been a fantastic deal for me, Except, I would hate my self after the trade.
I will probably be keeping this Mustang until the day I die.Then it goes to my best friend Shari.
Ronnie
Old 04-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
War Horse is 100% correct,
There is not much worse then buyers remorse.
You will know when you see the Mustang you will love.
I was lucky because on that stormy, rainy Sunday as I walked thru the dealers lot to look at Focuses, My Mustang yelled out. """RONNIE-LOOK At Me""" It was love at first sight and I love my RED RYDER today as much as the first day I seen him.
I just had a chance to trade even up for a 2015 Camaro SS V8 4,000 mile auto with everything on it and my answer was "NO WAY"
Money wise, It would have been a fantastic deal for me, Except, I would hate my self after the trade.
I will probably be keeping this Mustang until the day I die.Then it goes to my best friend Shari.
Ronnie
Yea buddy! Some day. Hopefully soon haha

Old 04-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

SVT Performance | Ford SVT Car and Truck News - 2015 ford mustang GT350 - Focus RS

Get on the market and look for a real nice low mileage garage kept 11-14. I personally like the 11/12 look much better but its subjective. Front is way more aggressive on those and the 13/14 tails are a direct swap to 10-12 bodies.

You SHOULD be able to get a base model with low miles for sub $20k price, I have seen supercharged ones with low miles in the $25k range.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:09 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
SVT Performance | Ford SVT Car and Truck News - 2015 ford mustang GT350 - Focus RS

Get on the market and look for a real nice low mileage garage kept 11-14. I personally like the 11/12 look much better but its subjective. Front is way more aggressive on those and the 13/14 tails are a direct swap to 10-12 bodies.

You SHOULD be able to get a base model with low miles for sub $20k price, I have seen supercharged ones with low miles in the $25k range.

+1
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAtlGT View Post
O i am not opposed to flying somewhere to get the perfect one of that's what it takes. The first drive home is the best drive anyways haha. My search will continue. Thanks giys! And thanks for the welcome to the forums. I'm kinda new on here and I've been looking for the right mustang forum. Think I found it haha.
PS anyone from GA area check out the regional post. Me and another guy were talking about a meet up and possibly a tail of the dragon run. All invited!

There's a dealership offering brand new 700+ HP mustangs for $37k. I hope this helps.
motu365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:20 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lots of them are. And actually the 37k model is the 640hp phase 1. Which is way better than the 700hp phase 2 because the 1 comes with a full 3/36 warranty.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang DIY and Technical