Mustang Evolution Forum banner

White smoke from exhaust

976 views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  Coosawjack 
#1 ·
Okay, so I got my car back from the dealership the other day. It's a 2012 mustang gt, I had white smoke coming out the exhaust. They said they fixed it, but I put my Steeda 101mm cai and SCT canned tune back on and it's smoking again. Could it just be the tune? I've heard that the SCT canned tunes aren't always the best. It doesn't smell like coolant, smells like gas. Doesn't overheat, just gets to operating temperature and smokes and smells.

#8 ·
Well, wait a minute...the transmission cooler lines DO run from the transmission to the front of the engine, so there is a possibility of a leaking line dripping on an exhaust pipe, depending on the routing of the line....and...transmission fluid burns white...Maybe it's residual fluid burning off or they didn't effectively repair the leak...

#10 ·
Oh, no, it wouldn't be coming OUT of the exhaust. So, smoke was coming out of your exhaust. You tool it to the dealer. Dealer repaired a leaking transmission cooler line and is still has white smoke coming out of the exhaust? You sure it's not just steam and you smell gas in it since you are tuned? If you remove the tune, it stops smoking altogether? We need to see a video of this....I mean, is it like seafoam like smoking?

#16 ·
That looks like condensation on a cold morning. You need to have a pressure test done to see if you have a problem with a head or head gasket.

Does the exhaust smell like coolant?

If you hold your hand, or a sheet of poster board behind the exhaust, does it get soaked?

#25 ·
The reason that I asked, is because we always start to get these white smoke questions around this time of year. The nights and mornings are cooler, the humidity starts to rise a bit, and you start to see more condensation from car exhaust. Even from engines running at operating temperature.

Here's a good test. In the heat of the day, go find a safe place to do a maximum effort pull. Clean her out real good, if you know what I mean. Then immediately pull over and observe the exhaust. If it is still smoking like in the video, you might have a problem. But if there doesn't seem to be much coming out, it is likely that you are just experiencing normal condensation, perhaps slightly compounded by a rich tune at idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.