5.0 mpg - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
5.0 mpg

I'm in the market for a new 5.0. I was wondering what y'all's mpg is. I currently own a v6 and want the 5.0!
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Not to say you didn't but do a mpg search lots of threads on it that being said probably 16-18 with spirited city driving
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dloza05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Not to say you didn't but do a mpg search lots of threads on it that being said probably 16-18 with spirited city driving
What Rpm range do you normally shift at? Because I'm averaging at about 13.5 but I haven't reset the mpg in about 3 weeks
Dloza05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
BatmanUriah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Midwest City
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 178
It really depends. If you drive it on the highway, in 6th, you should get over 300 miles to your tank. That's how it is for me, but I've only taken it on one trip long enough to test that. If you drive it around town, as Moto111 said, "spirited[ly]," then it will be significantly lower. I've experienced an average of 18 in the city, and that's not driving it too hard.
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Depends I only really get on it up to 60 then put here in 6th if I'm at 40 but usually jus for kicks and city driving at 3-4k to save gas il granny shift it but still average 16 on a day where I'm having fun
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
22.7 mpg right now . I don't shift under 4 except on cold early mornings. I drive her hard. I thankfully am driving about 80% highway right now.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
I usually get about 20 mpgs with a little more city than highway driving. Just came back from Florida and averaged 25 mpgs all highway for 1900 miles total
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
BatmanUriah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Midwest City
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I usually get about 20 mpgs with a little more city than highway driving. Just came back from Florida and averaged 25 mpgs all highway for 1900 miles total
Good lord.... What a drive.
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
I'm in the market for a new 5.0. I was wondering what y'all's mpg is. I currently own a v6 and want the 5.0!
If that's a concern, don't get one. On paper it's good, but unless you drive like a ***** then your MPG will suck.

__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
If that's a concern, don't get one. On paper it's good, but unless you drive like a ***** then your MPG will suck.

this!
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Registered User
Newbie
 
Twampa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: California
Posts: 14
I get anywhere from 12-16 in the city and about 28 on the highway! People always ask me what I get and I tell them, welllll, I didn't buy it for gas mileage. If I wanted gas mileage, I would have bought a hybrid!!
Twampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
In 2015 u may have that hybrid option lmao
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
blackhawk 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: California
Posts: 472
good luck
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
BUSHGUTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 280
Oh how these mpg threads just depress me. I dont think anyone gets the worst mpgs than me. I drive it normal and by that i mean shift at around 4500-5000 to get moving part throttle. No sense in taking forever to get to the speed limit but def no sense in getting there in a flash either. Just plain old normal driving im getting 13 city 16 hwy.

Ive come up with a new plan. Drive the car 2 days every other week so i dont care about mpgs. I test how long the gas lasts in the tank. Makes me feel better atleast until i sell it.

But to answer other person, mpgs suck. Period. Just my opinion.
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
Oh how these mpg threads just depress me. I dont think anyone gets the worst mpgs than me. I drive it normal and by that i mean shift at around 4500-5000 to get moving part throttle. No sense in taking forever to get to the speed limit but def no sense in getting there in a flash either. Just plain old normal driving im getting 13 city 16 hwy.

Ive come up with a new plan. Drive the car 2 days every other week so i dont care about mpgs. I test how long the gas lasts in the tank. Makes me feel better atleast until i sell it.

But to answer other person, mpgs suck. Period. Just my opinion.
Don't understand how you get 16mpg highway. Also, you should be shifting around 3k rpm if you want better MPG and can also shift 2-4-6 for better MPG. Don't start in first.

For your mpg to be the way it is I can't believe there is not something your are forgetting to tell us.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
BUSHGUTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Don't understand how you get 16mpg highway. Also, you should be shifting around 3k rpm if you want better MPG and can also shift 2-4-6 for better MPG. Don't start in first.

For your mpg to be the way it is I can't believe there is not something your are forgetting to tell us.
If i start off in first and shift at 3k, ill have a line of pissed off people behind me. I would actually be moving so slow that either i may never get up to the speed limit by the time i have to stop at the next light or ill be getting passed by a prius. The way i shift is just moving along normally.
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post

If i start off in first and shift at 3k, ill have a line of pissed off people behind me. I would actually be moving so slow that either i may never get up to the speed limit by the time i have to stop at the next light or ill be getting passed by a prius. The way i shift is just moving along normally.
....sounds like something is wrong with your car or your not letting the clutch out fast enough? I can shift at 3K and move normally. I just with my MPG don't care to shift at redline.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Statesboro
Region: Georgia
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

....sounds like something is wrong with your car or your not letting the clutch out fast enough? I can shift at 3K and move normally. I just with my MPG don't care to shift at redline.
I was thinking the same thing. When normal driving I've found there's actually no reason to ever go above 3k. Just drove about 4-5 hrs on highway and back roads today, at 85-90 I average 19-20 mpg and in 6th at 55-60 I average 25-28 mpg with cruise
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
BUSHGUTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
....sounds like something is wrong with your car or your not letting the clutch out fast enough? I can shift at 3K and move normally. I just with my MPG don't care to shift at redline.
what would the way im letting out the clutch have to do with it. been driving stick for 16 years. i guess i should just make a vid of my normal driving and see what people say
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Boomdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Region: Ohio
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
Oh how these mpg threads just depress me. I dont think anyone gets the worst mpgs than me. I drive it normal and by that i mean shift at around 4500-5000 to get moving part throttle. No sense in taking forever to get to the speed limit but def no sense in getting there in a flash either. Just plain old normal driving im getting 13 city 16 hwy.

Ive come up with a new plan. Drive the car 2 days every other week so i dont care about mpgs. I test how long the gas lasts in the tank. Makes me feel better atleast until i sell it.

But to answer other person, mpgs suck. Period. Just my opinion.
Granted I don't have a 5.0, but if you're always shfiting between 4500-5k rpms of course you're going to have crappy gas mileage. I average about 20 total mix between city and highway (about 24mpg on highway trips) and I rarely shift after 3k RPM unless I'm doing some spirited driving (which is often.)

I usually accelerate faster than other cars around me and and still shift at 2500 rpms, I just push the gas down a little harder during acceleration.

From all I have read, the the 5.0's get quite thirsty when you start revving them. As long as you shift at 2-3k rpms and aren't hammering it all the time you can get respectable MPGs
__________________
Torque: It's like crack for your right foot
Boomdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
what would the way im letting out the clutch have to do with it. been driving stick for 16 years. i guess i should just make a vid of my normal driving and see what people say
I meant it more as in you're not letting the clutch out all the way, and so it really does need to get to 4K to get you going. I no sooner get the car starting to roll and I have the clutch out all the way.

I dunno man, just trying to help find out why your car doesn't drive like any of ours.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
iLLRedGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Alton
Region: Illinois
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

I meant it more as in you're not letting the clutch out all the way, and so it really does need to get to 4K to get you going. I no sooner get the car starting to roll and I have the clutch out all the way.

I dunno man, just trying to help find out why your car doesn't drive like any of ours.
Something like that. I shift at like 2500-3000 and blow people away behind me. Not hating on him in anyway. Just weird.
iLLRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
TooSlow4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 505
I look at muscle cars like I do trucks,...WHO CARES ABOUT MPG?!?!
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
how do y'all stack up with supercharged full bolton 3.7s?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Well that's kinda of not a fair race now a s/c 5.0 vs s/c 3.7 your looking at 600hp vs 405 hp ( just low guesses ) but a stock 5.0 vs a s/c anything isn't someone I'd line up against at the track . Really would have to ask a 3.7 guy whose s/c there's alot on here
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
BUSHGUTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I meant it more as in you're not letting the clutch out all the way, and so it really does need to get to 4K to get you going. I no sooner get the car starting to roll and I have the clutch out all the way.

I dunno man, just trying to help find out why your car doesn't drive like any of ours.
i dont slip the clutch very long or ride it at all. i just quick slip it and go. not really sure what your trying so explain.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
Granted I don't have a 5.0, but if you're always shfiting between 4500-5k rpms of course you're going to have crappy gas mileage. I average about 20 total mix between city and highway (about 24mpg on highway trips) and I rarely shift after 3k RPM unless I'm doing some spirited driving (which is often.)

I usually accelerate faster than other cars around me and and still shift at 2500 rpms, I just push the gas down a little harder during acceleration.

From all I have read, the the 5.0's get quite thirsty when you start revving them. As long as you shift at 2-3k rpms and aren't hammering it all the time you can get respectable MPGs
i guess its in our driving preferences/habits/styles. if i shift at 2500-3000 i would feel like im going no where and it would drive me crazy. i prefer to use the ponies under the hood to get around.

to try to make it easier clarification, lets say you compare thsi to a person walking. there are 3 walking styles

1-zombie
2-brisk
3-speed walking

i drive like #2
^^Dam that sounds bad, but you understand what im trying to get at
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post

i dont slip the clutch very long or ride it at all. i just quick slip it and go. not really sure what your trying so explain.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------



i guess its in our driving preferences/habits/styles. if i shift at 2500-3000 i would feel like im going no where and it would drive me crazy. i prefer to use the ponies under the hood to get around.

to try to make it easier clarification, lets say you compare thsi to a person walking. there are 3 walking styles

1-zombie
2-brisk
3-speed walking

i drive like #2
^^Dam that sounds bad, but you understand what im trying to get at
I dunno man. I just am glad I am not the only one who thinks there is either something wrong with the way you drive or something wrong with your car.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Well that's kinda of not a fair race now a s/c 5.0 vs s/c 3.7 your looking at 600hp vs 405 hp ( just low guesses ) but a stock 5.0 vs a s/c anything isn't someone I'd line up against at the track . Really would have to ask a 3.7 guy whose s/c there's alot on here
yeah I understand that. I'm jus confused on whether or not to supercharge my v6 or trade it in for a 5.0. it's a dilemma for me. lol
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 80
I get 23-25 mpg highway and 16ish city. 3.73 gears and gt500 axlebacks, shifting at 2500 rpm.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Turbo it lol but nothing will ever sound like a v8 ! The 5.0 is just a better platform I start with if your going to dump money for performance . Both are great cars just what matters more for you . Gas mileage or being able to get 700hp over many years of work and a nice s/c lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
Bush if you're getting 16 highway there is something wrong with your car. On a hilly highway I can get around 22 or 23 at 70 mph.I'm sure most of us are. I average 19 with equal city and highway.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
yeah I understand that. I'm jus confused on whether or not to supercharge my v6 or trade it in for a 5.0. it's a dilemma for me. lol
your super charged V6 will take the 5.0 engine, but the moment someone throws a super charger on the 5.0 you don't stand a chance. So I would look at it as, do you want that power right this minute? Or a decent jump in power now with the chance at even greater power later?

I looked at buying a V6 back in 2011 and doing the same thing. I came to the conclusion that A. I would never be happy with a V6 muscle car and B. That when I got ready and SC or turbod the 5.0 not a single V6 could touch it.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
Bush if you're getting 16 highway there is something wrong with your car. On a hilly highway I can get around 22 or 23 at 70 mph.I'm sure most of us are. I average 19 with equal city and highway.
the more people that throw this out there is great. Not that I want to ruin anyones day or I want something to be wrong with his car or after his 16 years of driving manuals find he isn't good at driving them, whatever the case may be, but I feel like he thinks I am picking on him.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
nosympathy I agree with you. I haven't SC my v6 yet. I came across a good deal for a 5.0 and I was just wondering if it was worth the loss of mpg and increased insurance
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
nosympathy I agree with you. I haven't SC my v6 yet. I came across a good deal for a 5.0 and I was just wondering if it was worth the loss of mpg and increased insurance
Personally I think so. There were a number of factors for me in the car I chose and while the V6 is a beast I just didn't feel like it could touch the 5.0 at all. Test drive the 5.0 and you should feel the difference immediately. At the end of the day it is going to be what makes you happy. A SC V6 will eat most of what comes to face it with not much trouble. But a good SC V8 will always beat it.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
South3rnBeLLe50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
nosympathy I agree with you. I haven't SC my v6 yet. I came across a good deal for a 5.0 and I was just wondering if it was worth the loss of mpg and increased insurance
Honestly I had a fusion before my 5.0 and my insurance went down. Only a few dollars but still,. And as far as the gas I get 17-18 mpg. And that's getting on it quite a bit. I think the 5.0 is sooo worth it.
South3rnBeLLe50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:06 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.