2015 Mustang. Independant Rear Suspension and an Ecoboost 4 cylinder. Thoughts? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Just to let you guys know that ford has confirmed today that they will be offering a solid rear axle for the 2015 mustang later on.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
Just to let you guys know that ford has confirmed today that they will be offering a solid rear axle for the 2015 mustang later on.
Really. Very interesting. I wonder why that is?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

It's for the drag racers! They mentioned in motor authority that ford racing what's to develop this to stay true to those kinda fans and racers. This is really cool if they do this cuz wow ford really wanted a mustang for everyone.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

I think they also want to make a 2015 mustang cobra jet. They can't do that with a independent rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
It's for the drag racers! They mentioned in motor authority that ford racing what's to develop this to stay true to those kinda fans and racers. This is really cool if they do this cuz wow ford really wanted a mustang for everyone.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

I think they also want to make a 2015 mustang cobra jet. They can't do that with a independent rear.
Well, that's awesome if its true because its the first we have heard Ford was going to make a SAR model.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a link from motor authority.

Ford Offering 2015 Mustang With Live Axle For Drag Racers

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Sorry it didn't copy right

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Ford Offering 2015 Mustang With Live Axle For Drag Racers

By Antony Ingram, Contributing Writer
Dec 17, 2013
If you were disappointed that the newly-unveiled 2015 Ford Mustang is to be offered with independent rear suspension--across the range, for the very first time--rather than its traditional live axle, then we have good news for you.

It looks like Ford will be offering a solid axle Mustang after all--albeit not as a complete vehicle. A Ford Racing representative at the Performance Racing Industry Show allegedly told Gas2 (via Mustangs Daily) that the company is planning to offer a 2015 Mustang "body in white" with a nine-inch solid rear axle. The model will be aimed largely at the drag racing fraternity, for whom live axles are still the best tool for the job--as well as being simpler and easier to maintain than the street-handling-friendly but more complicated independent setup.

The setup is likely to be just one part of a wider "body in white" program of Mustangs, intended to "attract serious racers to the platform". Rival Chevy has offered something similar with the Camaro for several years, allowing racers to prepare a vehicle to their own tastes depending on their chosen discipline. For the Mustang, it suggests other setups beyond the live axle option may be available for those wishing to dive into motorsport without tearing apart a fully-equipped production Mustang first.

The live axle 2015 Mustang package is expected to make its debut at next year's Performance Racing Industry Show. With such a system in development, it may not be too long before other interested customers can purchase an off-the-shelf kit as a stand-alone option--and Mustangs Daily suggests it could be an option in the rumored 2015 Mustang Cobra Jet.

The message here? The Mustang might have become more sophisticated in its latest generation, but it's still the same old performance car at heart.

Follow Motor Authority on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
Old 12-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Regarding the live axle rumors...

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/12/...r-Axle-7717674
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Cool

As long as Ford has a Cobra Jet Drag program, they are going to make parts available to racers who want to build their own Cobra Jet. It only seams logical they would make it easier for the 2015 Mustang drag racer. I do not think Ford will be producing ready to drive Mustangs with a 9 inch rear end for the street. To my knowledge, there is no supplier who could produce 9 inch Ford rear ends in a large volume. Now, maybe SVT could put together a couple hundred 9 inch rear end Mustangs for the street but they would be extremely expensive. Probably would have a price tag over 100000 dollars.
Tire Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

The article I posted speculates that since Ford is planning a body in white with a 9" rear (Cobra Jet), that Ford Racing 'could' offer a solid rear axle as a bolt on accessory for 2015-up models. Since the Mustang is the most customized name plate in the world, it would only make sense that Ford offer the 9" rear in the FR catalog for owners to purchase and install at the dealer level or otherwise.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #44
Road Trip!

Region: New York
This all makes sence with the SRA rumor add in the line lock rumor and you got a drag-pack option. A limited edition cobra jet drag-pack with SRA and line lock for the drag racer. Sign me up!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Ford would have gone with IRS years ago, if it was not for the issues with drag racers wanting a solid axle. The body in white option is a good deal for many. Customizers would probably love it for the advantages in creating show cars with less waste. It may even be an potential for Shelby and Roush setups.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #46
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
Ford would have gone with IRS years ago, if it was not for the issues with drag racers wanting a solid axle. The body in white option is a good deal for many. Customizers would probably love it for the advantages in creating show cars with less waste. It may even be an potential for Shelby and Roush setups.
You blaming drag racers for Fords IRS short comings? Your really think there were more people who wanted to sacrifice riding comfort because they wanted to race it down the strip? No way. It was all about cost. Finding the best way to make the Mustang affordable for all. The 15' will have the highest spike in price over previous years. Drag racers had or have no influence on Fords decisions on rear suspensions. It's all about cost. Ford is pretty much forced to go IRS if they want to sell world wide and be successful with it. It total BS to think the drag racers are the ones to blame for Ford not going to IRS years ago.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Not BS. The s197 was built on a chassis that had IRS originally. Because of several factors, including cost, weight, and complexity, Ford decided not to offer IRS. But the key issue was because the IRS that went with the s197 chassis was not durable enough for drag racing. Ford has a major interest in drag racing, even though they have backed off it lately. And it is not the first time Ford tried IRS in the Mustang. A large tipping point for the live axle in 2005 was the lack of competition. There was no Camaro or Challenger on the market. If the Camaro, with IRS, was offered in 2004, that may have changed things. But without anything for comparison, Ford stuck with why works for the enthusiasts. From my perspective, I would have loved IRS on my car, but Ford played the odds.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #48
Road Trip!

Quote:
Not BS. The s197 was built on a chassis that had IRS originally. Because of several factors, including cost, weight, and complexity, Ford decided not to offer IRS. But the key issue was because the IRS that went with the s197 chassis was not durable enough for drag racing. Ford has a major interest in drag racing, even though they have backed off it lately. And it is not the first time Ford tried IRS in the Mustang. A large tipping point for the live axle in 2005 was the lack of competition. There was no Camaro or Challenger on the market. If the Camaro, with IRS, was offered in 2004, that may have changed things. But without anything for comparison, Ford stuck with why works for the enthusiasts. From my perspective, I would have loved IRS on my car, but Ford played the odds.
I said it is BS to blame the drag racers. That is what you Said. It's all Ford's fault for not building a proper IRS to work on a drag strip. They took the easy way out and saved a lot of money. So yes to blame the drag racer is BS.

Your exact words...

"if it was not for the issues with drag racers wanting a solid axle."

Should have saud...

"If not for Ford wanting to build a good IRS."

Like you said there was no competition (Camaro & Challenger) or maybe there would have been an IRS. Since the competition was not there why waste the money on a IRS when you have no competition? Ford knew exactly what the were doing. Saving money and weight. They were not doing it for the drag racer.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Def for the cost.
But I will tell you. I have been looking for faults in this suspention and can't find much. Been pushing hard while looking for expansion joints and such. This thing feels very solid. They have dialed in the 2014 live rear...at least in the track pack ones!
Way better handling than my irs GTO ever was. Nearly as good as my wifes AMG.
I am very happy with it. Cheap, and great handling! Kudos. Actually suprised they did change it.
Troy
Old 12-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ford would have gone with IRS years ago, if it was not for the issues with drag racers wanting a solid axle.

The S197 platform was derived from the (expensive) DEW98 and modified for the Mustang. The DEW98 underpinned the Lincoln LS/Jag S-type; 2004 T-Bird.

The reason there was no IRS offered in the S197 was because it would have added $100 to each car. Ford did not think it was worth the $$ at the time.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Ford recognized how valuable drag racers were to them. I do not consider that as blaming them. If they were not valuable, Ford would not be offering a live axle option if they were not appreciated. The DEW98 was a great platform, but the IRS was not up to the type of driving typical of the Mustang. My opinion is that the initial cost was not as big a factor as the warranty factor. There is a amount figured in each car for estimated warranty repairs, and I bet that was a lot more than $100 for the IRS. I would have liked it as an option for the Mustang, but that was not to be.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ford recognized how valuable drag racers were to them. I do not consider that as blaming them. If they were not valuable, Ford would not be offering a live axle option if they were not appreciated. The DEW98 was a great platform, but the IRS was not up to the type of driving typical of the Mustang. My opinion is that the initial cost was not as big a factor as the warranty factor. There is a amount figured in each car for estimated warranty repairs, and I bet that was a lot more than $100 for the IRS. I would have liked it as an option for the Mustang, but that was not to be.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say. My point was that Ford had a platform already designed to use an IRS but didn't want to develop a proper one for use in the Mustang..due to the financial burden. The exact setup in the DEW98 was never intended to be used in the Mustang and never considered in the S197 chassis. Engineering was tasked to simplify the DEW98 and thus the S197 was born. Partly due to the fact that Ford didn't want to repeat the same mistake in the 99-04 Cobra's..the IRS in those models was never developed properly and were bolted into a platform that was never designed to use one. If you recall the FR500, that concept was a step in the right direction. The car used the SLA suspension from the LS and a completely reworked IRS. This resulted in a wheelbase increase of about an inch or two--most noticeable in the front end--it was rumored that the FR500 was actually a New Edge shell wrapped over a modified DEW98 chassis...SVT did consider using the DEW98 but again, it was expensive. However, anyone who ever drove the car said it handled unlike any Mustang ever made. The approach that SVT took was simple yet very effective. Unfortunately, the accountants had too much pull at the time and didn't allow engineering to do what it does best and killed off the project.

Warranty issues are irrelevant since abuse is easily detected and didn't play a factor in the decision (use the issues from the Raptor as an example). It all came down to development funding and profit margins.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Talking

I am by no means a professional drag racer, but I like to have a Mustang that can drag race with ease and be affordable. I will accept responsibility for preventing Ford from going to IRS sooner. I and my buddies and others have lobbied Ford for the continuation of the SRA. The SRA is simple, robust, and easy to use for drag racing. The roads I drive on are smooth so IRS is not of that great importance to me.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
Now me, if I were buying i'd think the option of the 2.3 would be a pretty sexy deal depending on the fuel economy.
This part is what i think the 4 banger has to do with, most of the rest of the world is extremely focused on fuel economy, and the ecoboost is supposed to deliver better fuel economy all the time, but power when you need it. SO I believe they are keeping both the 6 and 8, and adding the 4, so that we have the option to go with our 6s and 8s here, and maybe the 4s, but so they can be sucessful worldwide with a more fuel friendly 4cyl ecoboost.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
In Europe, only the 4 banger and V8 will be offered, NA gets all engine options, unsure about everywhere else, but I think it's just the 4 banger and V8 that will be global.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #56
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I wonder if the IRS will fit on my 01.....

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Thats what I'm thinking, because while we're overe here more concerned about power and how fast it will go, with a few people only worried about economy, more poeple across the pond are worried about economy, and i cant blame them either, i can only imagine what gas prices are now, i remember while i was in japan it was really high

LCMC Member
Old 12-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Just looked it up, as of Feb this year japans average price was $6.70/gallon, and was almost$10/gallon in Turkey

LCMC Member
Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

I just hope Ford has the capacity to build enough Ecoboost fours to meet the demand.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Shaker View Post
I just hope Ford has the capacity to build enough Ecoboost fours to meet the demand.

Capacity issues are a good problem to have. Doubtful they will have problems though.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Cool

If the people who are currently excited about the turbo four Mustang actually purchase them, Ford could sell more Turbo fours than they expected. I worked with a girl who used to have a 1988 Turbo four T-bird. She thought she had a really fast car and would pass everything in site when she came to work. For some reason, I find more coworkers talking about the turbo four Mustang than any previous Mustang. They all want a sporty and fast car with good fuel mileage. For some reason, they feel they can more easily afford a turbo four than a GT.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #62
Road Trip!

2015 Mustang. Independant Rear Suspension and an Ecoboost 4 cylinder. Thoughts?

It's a big deal across the trim levels the 4 should be about $5000 cheaper. Plus get at least 10 more mpg. It will weigh about 400 pounds less than the GT. If Ford's projections come to light. The 5.0 will have a power to weight of about 8 pounds per horse power. The eco4 should have about 9.2 pounds per horse power. You add a CAI and tune and the eco4 should be around the same power to weight of the 2014 GT about 8.6 pounds per horse power. So for the money the Eco4 will be an awesome performing car and probably better at the road track for handling. Add a couple more grand on performance boltons and the Eco4 is nipping at the new GT bumper.

You will see eco4's with full boltons and without Added boost beating the 2015 GT and do it for less money. If Ford goes direct injected on the 5.0 then not much with beat it with out adding boost or FI.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #63
AKE
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I wonder if the IRS will fit on my 01.....
Was thinking the same thing. Isn't IRS really good for turning? Better on the track and stuff?
AKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
It's a big deal across the trim levels the 4 should be about $5000 cheaper. Plus get at least 10 more mpg. It will weigh about 400 pounds less than the GT. If Ford's projections come to light. The 5.0 will have a power to weight of about 8 pounds per horse power. The eco4 should have about 9.2 pounds per horse power. You add a CAI and tune and the eco4 should be around the same power to weight of the 2014 GT about 8.6 pounds per horse power. So for the money the Eco4 will be an awesome performing car and probably better at the road track for handling. Add a couple more grand on performance boltons and the Eco4 is nipping at the new GT bumper.

You will see eco4's with full boltons and without Added boost beating the 2015 GT and do it for less money. If Ford goes direct injected on the 5.0 then not much with beat it with out adding boost or FI.
That new turbo 4 banger may just be the biggest seller over the 3.7 and 5.0 models. Nothing is better than a turbo setup designed from factory to work on the car. Depending on how strong the engine is to handle higher boost, this new 4 banger mustang could be the modern day Supra turbo.

With a CAI, tune, gear swap, increase boost to the turbo, its gonna be quite wicked. Its just gonna be a learning curve on how much boost the factor motor can handle before blowing up and needing to place forged internals.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
2015 Mustang. Independant Rear Suspension and an Ecoboost 4 cylinder. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
That new turbo 4 banger may just be the biggest seller over the 3.7 and 5.0 models. Nothing is better than a turbo setup designed from factory to work on the car. Depending on how strong the engine is to handle higher boost, this new 4 banger mustang could be the modern day Supra turbo.

With a CAI, tune, gear swap, increase boost to the turbo, its gonna be quite wicked. Its just gonna be a learning curve on how much boost the factor motor can handle before blowing up and needing to place forged internals.

I haven't looked at the aftermarket for the Focus ST, but from what I was told by engineers it is pretty much topped out from the factory as far as how much boost the turbo can push; they've been doing a lot of optimization a with the turbo OEMs to get the turbos to perfectly match the engine. We'll have to see if the same applies to the Mustang's EB engine...
JKLiNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLiNx View Post

I haven't looked at the aftermarket for the Focus ST, but from what I was told by engineers it is pretty much topped out from the factory as far as how much boost the turbo can push; they've been doing a lot of optimization a with the turbo OEMs to get the turbos to perfectly match the engine. We'll have to see if the same applies to the Mustang's EB engine...
Well, if the 4 banger mustang engine is maxed out and no room for additional boost on factory internals that could effect sales huge here in U.S. The huge appeal to me would being able to increase boost and run 400 rwhp plus on factory turbo on factory internals.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #67
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well, if the 4 banger mustang engine is maxed out and no room for additional boost on factory internals that could effect sales huge here in U.S. The huge appeal to me would being able to increase boost and run 400 rwhp plus on factory turbo on factory internals.

The engine is not maxed out. He was saying the turbo is maxed out as in the boost.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

The engine is not maxed out. He was saying the turbo is maxed out as in the boost.
Oh, so that's almost as bad I would think. If one cant increase the boost in the turbo, then there goes 400 plus rwhp with the factory turbo. One would have to purchase an aftermarket turbo and remove the factory turbo. I wouldn't think Ford would max the turbo out in the mustang from jump. They know how people love to mod them.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Oh, so that's almost as bad I would think. If one cant increase the boost in the turbo, then there goes 400 plus rwhp with the factory turbo. One would have to purchase an aftermarket turbo and remove the factory turbo. I wouldn't think Ford would max the turbo out in the mustang from jump. They know how people love to mod them.
Yeah like I said though, not sure if that'll be the case with the mustang or not, or even if the ST aftermarket has a few tricks up it's sleeve, just what all the engineering presentations I've been to have said about the ST

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JKLiNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLiNx View Post

Yeah like I said though, not sure if that'll be the case with the mustang or not, or even if the ST aftermarket has a few tricks up it's sleeve, just what all the engineering presentations I've been to have said about the ST

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I hear you on that bro. Hopefully, Fords design and engineering team thought about things like that when designing the new 2.3 eco boost engine. Ford knows how huge power modifications are to the mustang community and have been for 50 years baby. F YEAH BABY. LOL.

It would be awesome if one could crank the boost up to around 450 rwhp on the stock engine. That rock!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT