2015 Mustang. Independant Rear Suspension and an Ecoboost 4 cylinder. Thoughts? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
Instead of the live rear axle the new Mustang will have Independant Rear Suspension. Also the Ecoboost 4 cylinder will be offered. Should I trade in my 2011 for the IRS and 5.0?
4968coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4968coyote
Instead of the live rear axle the new Mustang will have Independant Rear Suspension. Also the Ecoboost 4 cylinder will be offered. Should I trade in my 2011 5.0 for this?
Lol no.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4968coyote View Post
Instead of the live rear axle the new Mustang will have Independant Rear Suspension. Also the Ecoboost 4 cylinder will be offered. Should I trade in my 2011 5.0 for this?
Lol V8 412 stock HP with easily another 70hp in boltons for a 4cyclinder 305hp+ (probably end up with 308-315hp.

Yes do it! Why not pay $10k for less power and what would probably be a softer suspension set up verses the new 5.0.

Why not just go 15 5.0?
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I'm just confused about why Ford is giving three engine options. I watched the after dark party from American Muscle who was there. A Ford rep spoke about the engine options and the 4 banger turbo will be more powerful than the V6 model. The 4 banger will have more HP and be a step up option from the base V6.

Also, an article reported the 2015 V6 model is loosing 5 HP taking it down to 300 HP in order to make more head room.

That's like making the 2015 V6 more powerful than the 5.0. I don't get why have a V6 model and 4 banger. Just do one of two things. Give a eco boost v6 turbo with 350 HP or just give the 4 banger turbo. I don't see any point in having the V6 and 4 banger. I think the 4 banger will sell far more units than the V6 model and there just isn't a point to having both.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4968coyote View Post
What about the new mustang with ecoboost makes you consider trading for it? You bought a 5.0,...so you wanted power. Now you want what???
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I think it would be cool having both. Still don't know if A 4cyl turbo belongs in a stang. Guess ill have to wait and see in person to be convinced.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I think it would be cool having both. Still don't know if A 4cyl turbo belongs in a stang. Guess ill have to wait and see in person to be convinced.
why do you act like a 4 cyl turbo stang is new? It's already been done in the 80s
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

There didn't use to be as much of a ricer crowd like there is now. The mustang name has also grown a lot since then.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

The 4 banger turbo looks nice, but it's pushing 305 horsepower with what is essentially a twin turbo. That doesn't leave you much room to go up from. The v6 is n/a and can still take a turbo or super. So the v6 has a lot more room to build on
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cise View Post
The 4 banger turbo looks nice, but it's pushing 305 horsepower with what is essentially a twin turbo. That doesn't leave you much room to go up from. The v6 is n/a and can still take a turbo or super. So the v6 has a lot more room to build on
You forget that with the stock turbos all you need to do is crank up the boost (Once we figure out how much power the internals can handle).

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Know the cranks are forged on it. Cant remember if the internals are, I don't believe they are.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Don't sleep on the 4 banger!
Jshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I don't really understand needing the ecoboost 4 and the v6, especially since they are so in power. If they want 3 engines this is how it should go:
4 cyl: 200-250 hp
V6: 300-350
V8: 420-470
I put the 50 hp range because I didn't want to start a "how much power" debate. This 2 engines with the same power thing doesn't make sense. I'm sure they did it for the European market, but if it was up to me I would get rid of the v6 and go with the ecoboost and v8.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony View Post
I don't really understand needing the ecoboost 4 and the v6, especially since they are so in power. If they want 3 engines this is how it should go:
I put the 50 hp range because I didn't want to start a "how much power" debate. This 2 engines with the same power thing doesn't make sense. I'm sure they did it for the European market, but if it was up to me I would get rid of the v6 and go with the ecoboost and v8.
I think the v6 is around because it's sold well the past few years. The 4cyl and the v6 do have about the same power, but on the 4cyl you are essentially running a twin turbo on it, which doesn't leave you a lot left to do to the car (modding performance wise). Where as the V6 is N/A which leaves you room to put a turbo/super on it and crank it way up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
You forget that with the stock turbos all you need to do is crank up the boost (Once we figure out how much power the internals can handle).
I mean in just a general sense. I was just giving some insight on why someone might want the v6 instead of the awesome looking 4 cyl turbo.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I think the v6 is around because it's sold well the past few years. The 4cyl and the v6 do have about the same power, but on the 4cyl you are essentially running a twin turbo on it, which doesn't leave you a lot left to do to the car (modding performance wise). Where as the V6 is N/A which leaves you room to put a turbo/super on it and crank it way up too. I mean in just a general sense. I was just giving some insight on why someone might want the v6 instead of the awesome looking 4 cyl turbo.
Also, two turbos will be expensive to maintain once these cars have no warranties and etc. some people will be thinking about the long run. There's no doubt that the maintenance cost associated with a twin turbo car will be much higher than an NA v6. I think this is what they want to let people choose between. I think they are doing a good move because of they did f up on selling just a 4banger, they risk upsetting their sales by a lot. There is no doubt that v6 mustangs represent a solid core of their projected sales.
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exactly ^ So who wants to be our Ginny pig and be the first to boost there engine and blow it up to find max factory engine capabilities. Lmao
Old 12-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Exactly ^ So who wants to be our Ginny pig and be the first to boost there engine and blow it up to find max factory engine capabilities. Lmao
We are gonna have to wait until fall to find that out.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Ok Ford redesigned the Mustang so it will sell in Europe... My question. How do you think the Europeans will like the MT-82?

Ford better hope the minor changes they made will stop the issues we had with it or the Mustang will defiantly fail in Europe. They will not buy the Mustang with quality issues. We Americans buy it knowing the issues because it is a Mustang. But the history and prestige of the Mustang means nothing over there.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony View Post
The ecoboost is suppose to have just slightly more HP and torque than the v6 (305hp+ vs 305hp and 300tq vs 270tq) so that makes less sense until u consider that the v6 is a less expensive alternative with less technology so should the lowest price model.

This allows people to still buy one for maybe $2-3k less I dunno. I just think a mustang with anything less than a V8 isn't a muscle car (CC arguments aside).
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The fact is the American iconic pony muscle car is gone. Ford has moved in a different direction with the mustang and it was done with the hopes of global success. We as pure mustang enthusiasts want our design to scream bad *** sexy muscle mustang. The 2015 couldn't be more opposite. Now don't get me wrong , Ford created a sexy sports car not a sexy muscle, mustang. There is a difference. The new 2015 5.0 was allegedly reported to out handle the 2012 Mustang Boss. There is no need for this. There is nothing wrong with the 2014 5.0's handling capabilities. If you want an amazing sports car to handle corners go buy a Corvette, Nissan 370Z, Porsch, BMW. The true spirit of the mustang is a straight line power house with a solid rear axle. No need for an IRS on a Mustang that is muscle, pony car.

Challengers can't handle for *****, there not supposed too. Its a freaking muscle car with big displacement and HP. Its about the look and cruise of it. Fords exterior design looks like a really hot euro sports car with a Fusion/Taurus facia and 370 z side but not even close to American raw Muscle. I'm not downing the new mustang but enthusiasts like me and all of us need to accept Ford is looking to create a new form of enthusiasts and bottom line, show me the money and old school mustang heritage is long gone.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
your funny but wrong. Sti wrx and a bunch of cars come with a stock turbo are they maxed out? NO! You can do all kinds of stuff to increase power dude
Old 12-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
There is a market for turbo fours. It is no different when the Mustang first came out. The base engine was a 2.8L straight six that put out 101 HP. So now you have three times the output from about ¾ the size. The 289 came in two versions, a modest output and the HiPo model.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
There is a market for turbo fours. It is no different when the Mustang first came out. The base engine was a 2.8L straight six that put out 101 HP. So now you have three times the output from about ¾ the size. The 289 came in two versions, a modest output and the HiPo model.
exactly! Thank you!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #24

Region: Indiana
Has it been said that it is twin turbo? I may be wrong but i think its a single turbo on it.
Sepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
My understanding is twin scroll turbos. I do not know if that has been confirmed, but it is likely.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #26
Road Trip!

I think it was a single turbo. And their "voodoo" project is a TT ecoboost with 600+

I could be wrong
Old 12-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Lets hope for oil squirters on the skirts of the pistons as well as forged internals. Take a look at Cobb performance, AWESOME ecoboost support. Bet aftermarket companies are drooling to get their hands on one to start aftermarket support.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
My understanding is twin scroll turbos. I do not know if that has been confirmed, but it is likely.
Yeah, twin-scroll single turbo. Right from Ford's site.
JKLiNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepp View Post
Has it been said that it is twin turbo? I may be wrong but i think its a single turbo on it.
You are right sir. The eco4 is a single the Ford website states it's a single.

http://www.ford.com/mobile/cars/must...6:s#appsimHome
Old 12-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
really is no reason to do twins on a 4 banger, sequential yes, but not twins.

(sequential is a dual set of turbo's, one smaller in size to the other... google it)

as to why they have two engine choices other than the 5.0 v8

4 cylinder turbo pushing 300 ish power is going to need high octane fuel. some people dont like dealing with it. it is pretty expensive and doesn't always work out in savings vs economy.
v6 is roughly same power and can handle regular gas anywhere not to mention that some people (rightfully so) don't want to deal with reliability issues on a high mileage option down the road, so people buying are going to take that into account for use as well as re-sale value... NAv6 is just going to last longer.

Now me, if I were buying i'd think the option of the 2.3 would be a pretty sexy deal depending on the fuel economy.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
really is no reason to do twins on a 4 banger, sequential yes, but not twins.

(sequential is a dual set of turbo's, one smaller in size to the other... google it)

as to why they have two engine choices other than the 5.0 v8

4 cylinder turbo pushing 300 ish power is going to need high octane fuel. some people dont like dealing with it. it is pretty expensive and doesn't always work out in savings vs economy.
v6 is roughly same power and can handle regular gas anywhere not to mention that some people (rightfully so) don't want to deal with reliability issues on a high mileage option down the road, so people buying are going to take that into account for use as well as re-sale value... NAv6 is just going to last longer.

Now me, if I were buying i'd think the option of the 2.3 would be a pretty sexy deal depending on the fuel economy.
No it will run fine on 87. Mustang6g said the preliminary reports state the eco4 will be 305-315hp and will need a minimum of 87 octane fuel.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #32

Region: Indiana
Yes 87 is definitely good, my wife has the ecoboost Explorer with the 4 bannger only requires 87 and runs just fine
Sepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:43 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
The fact is the American iconic pony muscle car is gone. Ford has moved in a different direction with the mustang and it was done with the hopes of global success. We as pure mustang enthusiasts want our design to scream bad *** sexy muscle mustang. The 2015 couldn't be more opposite. Now don't get me wrong , Ford created a sexy sports car not a sexy muscle, mustang. There is a difference. The new 2015 5.0 was allegedly reported to out handle the 2012 Mustang Boss. There is no need for this. There is nothing wrong with the 2014 5.0's handling capabilities. If you want an amazing sports car to handle corners go buy a Corvette, Nissan 370Z, Porsch, BMW. The true spirit of the mustang is a straight line power house with a solid rear axle. No need for an IRS on a Mustang that is muscle, pony car. Challengers can't handle for *****, there not supposed too. Its a freaking muscle car with big displacement and HP. Its about the look and cruise of it. Fords exterior design looks like a really hot euro sports car with a Fusion/Taurus facia and 370 z side but not even close to American raw Muscle. I'm not downing the new mustang but enthusiasts like me and all of us need to accept Ford is looking to create a new form of enthusiasts and bottom line, show me the money and old school mustang heritage is long gone.
couldn't agree more
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

couldn't agree more
Brilliant mids do think alike. Lol
Old 12-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="2011 Kona Blue;1901463"] Brilliant mids do think alike. Lol[/QUOT

even more so! lol.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT