Are the new automatics better than the manuals ? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

I have a manual 2014 v6
In fact I learn how to drive manual in it. I test drive a auto before and the shifting is very fast and smooth. But I love my manual because it feels like I'm actually controlling the car and feel how the car feel.
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
An automatic transmission in a Mustang GT is like Odoul's Non-Alcoholic Beer

May look and taste ok, but Whats the point?
Auto Trans should only be available in 3.7s

Haha... believe it or not but they actually have those in the chow halls over in Afghanistan and Iraq before we pulled out. I used to drink em like a champ lmfao!!!

Marty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

I believe it I was there !
ThePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunisher View Post
I believe it I was there !

+1 million!!!

Hell yeah!

Old 02-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
For drag strip, the auto is more consistent no doubt.

I prefer a standard because I can control it. I can choose to idle along at 800 rpms on a flat road, or do whatever I want. Also, they haven't perfected the auto to weigh less, and it still has more drive train loss.

They about even out, the user error and human factor on the standard verses the extra weight and extra loss of the auto.

For a drag car, auto. For a daily driver, has to be a standard. And the single clutch and dual clutch gear boxes make no differences, most companies have dropped dual clutches, actually.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Haha you drive a 6mt I'm chicago traffic f that never again. Like I said we can line then up loser gives up his man card lol people always put down auto 5. 0s don't hate appreciate it lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Im not hatin bro. I live in Dallas and after the first time I was stuck in traffic I was like damn I should have got an automatic lmao... I have friends who have autos and every chance I get I make fun of them and trust me that talk smack right back.

But I stand by my MT!!! Very very fun to drive

Old 02-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

ya u can have fun and see how sexy my tail lights are. they both are fun cars .
Old 02-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't make this, but thought it was funny. Obviously this horse has been beaten......
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Cute it's ok I don't feel the need to grab a stick everyday and cup the ball I my hand . But hey what ever gets your rocks off lol haters guna hate when your mt82 fails make sure you post up haha
Old 02-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Lol blah blah...

Old 02-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

OK...... LOL

2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:46 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Finally watched the vid... pretty funny lol

Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I has to give this cool story, bros....

A few weeks back I cut a tire on my manual '12. Woot, no spare on BBP. I look around for what I have that'll hold air so I can get to work. Hmm...drag slicks, that'll do....

...it started to snow that night and continued for a week. So, I drove around on drag slicks for a week in slush and snow while these fantastically expensive and somewhat rare Michelins arrived.

Now, because I had a manual, this act of insanity was possible and not even that big of a deal. I could start the car in any gear i wanted, I had full control going down hills to choose the amount of engine braking I needed, etc.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You drove in the snow on slicks? That's a hard one to swallow......................
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds pretty dumb to me . Hmm let's see I live in chicago on stock Pirellis still ( dumb I know) but surprisingly been just fine btw I can drop mine into gear to with a auto cool story bro
Old 02-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Whats wrong with the pzeros I thought they were pretty good tires?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Not for winter lol
Old 02-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Not for winter lol
Old 02-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

The Pzeros are summer only on my BBP.

I did indeed drive on these for a week in the snow on slicks. It did put to the test every bit of driving talent I've gained in 30+ years of driving in Canadian winters but, wasn't an impossible task, thanks to the stick.

I really need to get around in my work; it's critical to the enterprise I'm involved in. Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s on now so, no more problems.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Not for winter lol
True dat lol!!!

Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

That's like asking if this bag of oranges is better than that brand of laundry detergent! The current auto is better than old autos, but a manual trans is for a different style of driving.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
What's the lowest RPM the auto can hold a gear?

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
i recently bought my 14, i love manual but actually considered auto cause of the trany issues ive heard. then i slapt myself and bought a manual. for pure drag strip an auto is going to be better, but most of us dont live at a strip, manual is just more fun day to day driving, i had an auto sports car before and i hated life. auto makes me prone to txt and drive and browse my phone because i get bored driving, with manual i avoid that since im constantly shifting ( do little high way miles) at the end of the day its just a preference, but as far as im concerned, a sports car, specially muscle car, needs a proper manual.
A1ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Driving 60 miles to work in traffic I have no regrets with my auto . Both are great but different needs for different people
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I hate my PZeros, and plan to replace them with Contis soon. Plenty of tread left, but since 14,000 miles they have been squirrelly. I have heard that is common with them. However, there are ways to use an automatic to move around in snow, which I have used on occasion. What gets me is how many people try to brake on snow and ice, without taking the car out of gear.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Who taught you to take the car out of gear when driving on snow? That's ridiculous. You want to use gears carefully to control you speed buildup and stay off the brakes as much as possible. Straight friction circle stuff that. You take the car out if gear and you have no way of controlling road speed other than complete reliance on the brakes, which will likely get the abs hammering pretty swiftly.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The way I see it, The automatic of today is the stick of yesterday. The technology is light years ahead of cable driven overdrives and the tuning abilities in the new 4l80's and 6R80's is amazing. I get the whole manual trans and being one with the car nonsense. When Mustangs were making 275hp they needed all the help they can get to go fast. Now they make so much power it's actually a limiting factor to shift through gears manually. Whether you're into drag racing or not it can not be ignored that Automatic late model Mustangs are ***** slapping the MT82 cars up and down any surface. You throw in the fact that the current MT82 is notchy, has a poorly designed shifter bracket and location, poorly designed clutch line and recalls and failures stacked up to the ceiling.

You say it's just cool to drive a mustang that's not a stick shift. I think it's cooler today to drive an Automatic Mustang because it means your way smarter. You understand that the advancements in late model Automatic transmissions are going to make Manual transmissions obsolete.

The irony in my post, I own an M6 car. I have owned Automatic Race cars my whole life. I'm not a stick guy. My wife talked me into buying a New GT to take a break from racing. I bought an M6 because I thought why would you buy an Auto Mustang. I should have spent 5 seconds researching it and I would have found out that these MT82's are garbage. Mine is notchy, clunky, clutch sticks to the floor, shifter bends sideways going into third and over on SVTP there are records being set every day with 6R80's and the transbrakes aren't even in production to the public yet.

I'd trade for an AUTO ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.
Justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Too funny... I also think its funny when I'm trying to be cool as I pass people who are checking out my car and then I miss freakin third gear. Or what about being at the light with lots of traffic behind ya and as soon as the light turn green I freakin stall out... even worse when forgetting that the car is in gear when you crank it up then completely dump the clutch thinking its in neutral. Fun fun times with the ol' MT82 lol...
^ Goofy .
Justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Who taught you to take the car out of gear when driving on snow? That's ridiculous. You want to use gears carefully to control you speed buildup and stay off the brakes as much as possible. Straight friction circle stuff that. You take the car out if gear and you have no way of controlling road speed other than complete reliance on the brakes, which will likely get the abs hammering pretty swiftly.
I have done more than my share of driving in snow and ice. If you ever watch most of the people trying to stop on slick surfaces, you will notice that while the front brakes are locked up, the rear wheels will still be turning on a RWD. Brakes are front biased on cars. You should control braking without relying on electronics to CYA. When you are braking on a slick surfaces, put the car in neutral for maximum control. The engine is only going to be for when you are off the brakes. Just as important is knowing which routes to take and which to not. Any routes with stops on the up slope is asking for it. Also watch out for people who do not get enough speed to make it up a hill. They go too slow to have the needed momentum and get stuck, blocking the road, and sometimes sliding back.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #66

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
I have done more than my share of driving in snow and ice. If you ever watch most of the people trying to stop on slick surfaces, you will notice that while the front brakes are locked up, the rear wheels will still be turning on a RWD. Brakes are front biased on cars. You should control braking without relying on electronics to CYA. When you are braking on a slick surfaces, put the car in neutral for maximum control. The engine is only going to be for when you are off the brakes. Just as important is knowing which routes to take and which to not. Any routes with stops on the up slope is asking for it. Also watch out for people who do not get enough speed to make it up a hill. They go too slow to have the needed momentum and get stuck, blocking the road, and sometimes sliding back.

Sorry but I'm not buying it. I grew up in northeast PA...lived in Chicago for 10 years driving my 5spd GT and spent close to 30 years in general driving auto and manual fwd and rwd cars and trucks in bad weather and never once have I ever had any kind of issue with not putting the car in neutral (stick) to slow down on snow or ice. The only thing you need is practice...well and a good set of snow tires and you can get through anything.
bamf70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

I learn driving in the mountains of Korea where the roads were steep and sheet ice. I was licensed for over twenty military vehicles, drove a deuce during a forest fire for two weeks, then a week later, was driving VIPs in limos, including a Presidential candidate, touring a flood that killed 264 people. I make no claims to be a great driver, but I know what I am doing. I have driven during blizzards and whiteouts. With so many cars today being FWD, the issue is not as big a deal, but a lot of older drivers love the Panther models, and like all big RWD cars, they are prone to locked front/turning rear wheels.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I would have rather got a manual trans but with how jacked up my clutch foot is and how much a manual trans increased my chances of hurting my foot even worse I went with a auto.... It was either a automatic gt or no mustang at all.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:40 AM   #69
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
It's all just preference. I've had auto's and manuals. Both have their advantages. My M6 has been perfect and I don't regret getting one (yet). There are lemons in every massively produced transmission. Change the fluid to a good synthetic and change the bracket and/or shifter.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:55 AM   #70
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin81 View Post
The way I see it, The automatic of today is the stick of yesterday. The technology is light years ahead of cable driven overdrives and the tuning abilities in the new 4l80's and 6R80's is amazing. I get the whole manual trans and being one with the car nonsense. When Mustangs were making 275hp they needed all the help they can get to go fast. Now they make so much power it's actually a limiting factor to shift through gears manually. Whether you're into drag racing or not it can not be ignored that Automatic late model Mustangs are ***** slapping the MT82 cars up and down any surface. You throw in the fact that the current MT82 is notchy, has a poorly designed shifter bracket and location, poorly designed clutch line and recalls and failures stacked up to the ceiling.

You say it's just cool to drive a mustang that's not a stick shift. I think it's cooler today to drive an Automatic Mustang because it means your way smarter. You understand that the advancements in late model Automatic transmissions are going to make Manual transmissions obsolete.

The irony in my post, I own an M6 car. I have owned Automatic Race cars my whole life. I'm not a stick guy. My wife talked me into buying a New GT to take a break from racing. I bought an M6 because I thought why would you buy an Auto Mustang. I should have spent 5 seconds researching it and I would have found out that these MT82's are garbage. Mine is notchy, clunky, clutch sticks to the floor, shifter bends sideways going into third and over on SVTP there are records being set every day with 6R80's and the transbrakes aren't even in production to the public yet.

I'd trade for an AUTO ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.
Well stated. The Mustangs have come with both transmission options to please all the masses. Choose your poison, and enjoy the ride. My wife does not drive a manual. She simply does not want to learn. For both of us to enjoy our Mustang, I purchased an automatic. It has not diminished the enjoyment one bit. It's still a fine ride.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT