2015 Mustang: Leaning toward Ecoboost model... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to tedness
2015 Mustang: Leaning toward Ecoboost model...

From a practical consumer standpoint, I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a new Mustang in the 2.3L Ecoboost trim. Sure purists will hate it for not having that distinctive V8 growl, but many of the pros outweigh the cons.

Lighter engine and (theoretically) less curb weight:
Official numbers pending, the 2.3 engine should weigh less than the 5.0, giving the car better weight distribution.

Superior MPG with all the Mustang styling:
Considering the current 3.7 nets 19/29 compared the 5.0's 15/26, it's probably safe to say the 2.3 will get even better MPG. Additionally based on what we've seen 'base models' aren't the crap they used to be.

Aftermarket 'power packs':
Other Ecoboost models can net nearly 100hp for around $1000 with bolt-ons and a tune, putting the 2.3 into 5.0 power range, while still being more fuel efficient.

Ultimately for me it's gonna come down to if I can live without that V8 sound and torque. Thoughts?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington

It's all about what you want. I once bought a V6 car and loved the gas savings but as time went on I REALLY missed having that V8 and regretted it. I made sure my next car was a beast because that's what I wanted.

If you don't mind telling people you have a 4cyl Mustang, then go ahead. It's all about what you like. BUT... If I see a fart can on the rear... So help me... Lol
Ali Tabooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
As previously stated, you should get what you want whatever the reason. But it sounds like you're trying justify a 4 banger and get some reassurance here. If you want economy with some zip, then ecoboost is probably a good choice. But if you're really into V8 torque and sound, but just want a few more mpg, maybe you should bite the bullet and go 5.0. If you're in the turbo most of the time to overcome the 4 cylinders, then you wont save much on gas and will never get the sound.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Tabooger View Post
It's all about what you want. I once bought a V6 car and loved the gas savings but as time went on I REALLY missed having that V8 and regretted it. I made sure my next car was a beast because that's what I wanted.

If you don't mind telling people you have a 4cyl Mustang, then go ahead. It's all about what you like. BUT... If I see a fart can on the rear... So help me... Lol
Didn't the mustang II have a four cylinder.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Several models had four cylinder, including a turbocharged model that is highly sought in some quarters. The new model has a lot going for it. For a road track model, the four has great potential.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedness View Post
From a practical consumer standpoint, I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a new Mustang in the 2.3L Ecoboost trim. Sure purists will hate it for not having that distinctive V8 growl, but many of the pros outweigh the cons.

Lighter engine and (theoretically) less curb weight:
Official numbers pending, the 2.3 engine should weigh less than the 5.0, giving the car better weight distribution.

Superior MPG with all the Mustang styling:
Considering the current 3.7 nets 19/29 compared the 5.0's 15/26, it's probably safe to say the 2.3 will get even better MPG. Additionally based on what we've seen 'base models' aren't the crap they used to be.

Aftermarket 'power packs':
Other Ecoboost models can net nearly 100hp for around $1000 with bolt-ons and a tune, putting the 2.3 into 5.0 power range, while still being more fuel efficient.

Ultimately for me it's gonna come down to if I can live without that V8 sound and torque. Thoughts?
Personally, I would wait for about three years before buying the new car. Sure to be a lot of problems with the new model. Not to mention everyone wanting the new model, price could be harder to negotiate on.

Just my two cents. Good Luck...
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Tabooger View Post

Just curious but why would someone mind telling people they drive a turbo charged mustang that potentially is going to produce 310 HP, 300 torque , will out handle and potentially faster straight line than 2010 Gt and under models. There is nothing to be ashamed, with that bro so again why would someone mind telling people they have the 4 banger model?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Just a few years ago, a 300+hp, 300+tq Mustang would have been the fastest non Shelby/SVT Mustang you could buy.

At what point did we become so jaded that a 300+hp/tq, 3400 lbs, rear wheel drive car that gets 35 MPG simply become not good enough?

Also keep in mind, the 2015 Mustang will be a global car. Once it gets into the hands of the Europeans, it will have a huge aftermarket following worldwide. I see the majority of the fastest 2015+ Mustangs being powered by 4 cylinders and huge turbos.

As for power delivery, I don't think you have ever been in a newer turbo car. Most make peak torque around 1800 - 3000 rpm, so it's actually more tourqey feeling than a V8. Also, with variable geometery turbos and variable valve timing, turbo lag is basically a thing of the past, unless you have a giant turbo.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Just a few years ago, a 300+hp, 300+tq Mustang would have been the fastest non Shelby/SVT Mustang you could buy.

At what point did we become so jaded that a 300+hp/tq, 3400 lbs, rear wheel drive car that gets 35 MPG simply become not good enough?

Also keep in mind, the 2015 Mustang will be a global car. Once it gets into the hands of the Europeans, it will have a huge aftermarket following worldwide. I see the majority of the fastest 2015+ Mustangs being powered by 4 cylinders and huge turbos.

As for power delivery, I don't think you have ever been in a newer turbo car. Most make peak torque around 1800 - 3000 rpm, so it's actually more tourqey feeling than a V8. Also, with variable geometery turbos and variable valve timing, turbo lag is basically a thing of the past, unless you have a giant turbo.
Amen bro. Totally agree
Old 04-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
Didn't the mustang II have a four cylinder.
Sure, but it wasn't turbo'd, and did not come from the factory with 315 advertised HP either.

There's going to be some 3.7 and 5.0's very suprised with this 4 banger. Myself included.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Sure, but it wasn't turbo'd, and did not come from the factory with 315 advertised HP either.

There's going to be some 3.7 and 5.0's very suprised with this 4 banger. Myself included.
I'm looking forward to seeing it ripping down the road. No shame in my game when the 4 banger tears my a$$ up and leaves me in the dust. Ha ha ha
Old 04-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Nor mine. It just might make me consider it time to move up or down in displacement....or not, as my Mustang can get up to legal speed limit just fine.

But there's always going to be greener grass on the other side of the fence.

maybe, just maybe that Boss I've been drooling for...
Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Nor mine. It just might make me consider it time to move up or down in displacement....or not, as my Mustang can get up to legal speed limit just fine.

But there's always going to be greener grass on the other side of the fence.

maybe, just maybe that Boss I've been drooling for...
Lmao. That Boss may get the best of you. lol
Old 04-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1017770_10201941725481006_5568595267838625257_n.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	155494  
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^ glad im not the only seeing the Fusion resemblance. Im interested in how the turbo'd 4 will be as well
kdow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Lmao nice pic

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I really think that if the headlights were like the 05-14, even with the grille, the re-design wouldn't be as badly recieved.

To me it still looks mostly like a modern new edge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The 2.3l may have the same peak numbers as 5.0 after $1k in mods, but its the under the curve numbers that matter.
And unless you go big turbo, the power will likely fall on its face after 4500 rpms where as the V8 will keep making power.

Most of my cars have been 4cyl turbo, I love them, but I do love me a nice V8

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I can tell you that the thing I like about my V6 is that I hardly have to press down on the gas with manual to make changes and transitions. There is no lag and it drives very nimbly as a result. While I can see the appeal of turbo 4s (like a Volvo 240 turbo - fun fun fun), in a heavy car like this, that lag will bite you every time. You'll have to hit the gas hard to get the turbo to spin up and then you're in the rear of the car in front of you and having to brake. It's a subtle thing, but go drive a WRX sometime to see what I mean. It just doesn't feel Muscle car to drive a turbo 4.

If you get a manual, the V6 is actually a better option as it will be far more driveable in every day traffic.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
v6 is the way to go. A lot of people are getting them new out the door for 18k and you can throw 5k at them with performance mods and they will beat any bolt on coyote out there.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Id stay away from eco boost mustang for the first couple of years.
str8boostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other

I briefly considered the Eco boost 15...left the dealer with a 14 5.0. The 4 banger mustang wasn't my cup of tea. Of course everyone has their opinion and this thread will go back and forth. The essence of a real mustang is a V8. I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for that but that's how I feel. And again... I entertained the idea of a 4 banger. That was my rational side of my brain...then once I was at the dealer and had my wife on board with me getting a new mustang, the part of my brain that said &$*# MPG and practical daily drivers kicked in. I'm sure they will produce decent power as advertised, but resale probably won't be as good. And a modded up Eco boost kinda defeats the purpose right!?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I briefly considered the Eco boost 15...left the dealer with a 14 5.0. The 4 banger mustang wasn't my cup of tea. Of course everyone has their opinion and this thread will go back and forth. The essence of a real mustang is a V8. I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for that but that's how I feel. And again... I entertained the idea of a 4 banger. That was my rational side of my brain...then once I was at the dealer and had my wife on board with me getting a new mustang, the part of my brain that said &$*# MPG and practical daily drivers kicked in. I'm sure they will produce decent power as advertised, but resale probably won't be as good. And a modded up Eco boost kinda defeats the purpose right!?
You're certainly entitled to feel that the essence of a real mustang is a V8 only, then go buy a V8. A 3.7, 4.0 or 2.3 are just as much mustang as any 4.6 or 5.0. Slower some V6 and 4 banger models may be but just as much mustang as any V8 mustang.

The engine size doesn't make the mustang a mustang! Its the enthusiast behind the pony that makes the mustang a mustang. Go get your V8 bro but don't think for one minute the 2015 2.3 is less real a mustang than the 2015 5.0.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

^ no need to get all sad man. I did get a 5.0 like I said. I'm not bashing a non V8 mustang. Just said my opinion. I think you missed the part where I considered an Eco boost myself. I drove it, then drive a 5.0. They are not even the same car. That's all I'm saying.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8boostin View Post
v6 is the way to go. A lot of people are getting them new out the door for 18k and you can throw 5k at them with performance mods and they will beat any bolt on coyote out there.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Id stay away from eco boost mustang for the first couple of years.

I haven't heard of anyone buying a 15 v6 for 18 k out the door. We're people doing that with the v6s at the end of their production run? Sure, but that ship has sailed and the crazy rebates are no longer available.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^ no need to get all sad man. I did get a 5.0 like I said. I'm not bashing a non V8 mustang. Just said my opinion. I think you missed the part where I considered an Eco boost myself. I drove it, then drive a 5.0. They are not even the same car. That's all I'm saying.
Oh bro, you must be confused. I'm not sad man. If you kicked me in the balls, then I would be sad. If you killed my family, I would be sad. When they canceled Bay Watch, I was sad. You thinking that the only real mustang is a V8, doesn't make me sad.

I caught what you were saying. You said you had considered a 4 banger. Then you said the essence of a REAL mustang is a V8. That's cool bro.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

^ not trying to pick a fight... Maybe I will see you at the AM show in the summer
Old 02-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^ not trying to pick a fight... Maybe I will see you at the AM show in the summer
No fight bro. All good. I'll be there at the show. I'll be parked in the not real mustang parking lot. Ha ha ha ha! JK!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Missing Bay Watch.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Oh bro, you must be confused. I'm not sad man. If you kicked me in the balls, then I would be sad. If you killed my family, I would be sad. When they canceled Bay Watch, I was sad. You thinking that the only real mustang is a V8, doesn't make me sad.

I caught what you were saying. You said you had considered a 4 banger. Then you said the essence of a REAL mustang is a V8. That's cool bro.
Missing David Hasselhoff?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Missing David Hasselhoff?
Oh heck yeah bro. Ha ha ha
Old 02-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

After driving a Ecoboost for 3 days I'm glad I went back and got the GT ..I'm sorry but the sound of the 4 banger and the vibration feeling from the 4 just wasn't my cup of tea .. Gas mileage is not a big problem for me , after all it's a muscle car , muscle cars use more fuel ..
Old 04-01-2015, 01:22 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Decided to buy a new Mustang. Never owned a sports car so it was now or never. Like you , thinking gas mileage/economy stuff tried out a 4 cyl echo boost. Rode great. Price not to bad. Had lots of bells and whistles. So told dealer I would call him back. That night surfing the web we found a 50yr anniversary model GT. The next day we drove over to the dealer for a look. Sitting in the drivers seat the sales guy says start it up. So pushed the start button and it was all history from there. No way we were going to buy a 4 banger. Here's the picture of it in the showroom. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427869364.020916.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	178822

Footpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:26 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

This is it. 2015 Ruby Red/Convertible GT 50th year anniversary package. Can't imagine this is sitting in our garage waiting for better weather to come. WOW

Footpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:15 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footpeg View Post
This is it. 2015 Ruby Red/Convertible GT 50th year anniversary package. Can't imagine this is sitting in our garage waiting for better weather to come. WOW

The 50th anniversary convertible is the wiser choice. GT 5.0's hold their resale a lot better plus they only made 1964 50th anniversary editions which makes it even better.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
The 50th anniversary convertible is the wiser choice. GT 5.0's hold their resale a lot better plus they only made 1964 50th anniversary editions which makes it even better.

There is a difference between the 50th anniversary appearance package and the 50th anniversary edition Mustang. The appearance package can be added to any GT while the 50th anniversary edition is a limited production car.

And to say the GTs hold resale value isn't true. If you prefer a GT that is fine but they resell for more because the msrp was higher. If you factor depreciation as a percent of original msrp it would be pretty close. Although maybe not on performance sites like this but in the real world both cars have a large separate market of buyers that like the cars

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
There is a difference between the 50th anniversary appearance package and the 50th anniversary edition Mustang. The appearance package can be added to any GT while the 50th anniversary edition is a limited production car.

And to say the GTs hold resale value isn't true. If you prefer a GT that is fine but they resell for more because the msrp was higher. If you factor depreciation as a percent of original msrp it would be pretty close. Although maybe not on performance sites like this but in the real world both cars have a large separate market of buyers that like the cars

Ehh I disagree with the resale thing. Yes they are more expensive so for the first 5-8 years this might be true. But once these are older than 10 years old no one is really going to be seeking out a car that they can use to commute in. So those v6 and 4cyl models become less desirable directly effecting the value. There's always going to be a guy who wants a gt. No matter how many miles are in it, how old it is. I dunno that's just my .02 maybe I'm wrong.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Tags
2015 mustang