2015 mustang gained 200-300 lbs? - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Final number on the GT is 435 HP and 400 ft lbs of torque. Not terrible, but not as much as I wanted. V6 loses 5 HP 300 hp/290 lb-ft =[ and 4 banger is at 310 ponies and 320 lb-ft. Only the 4 banger and GT will have Performance pack options from now on. Looks like Ford may be trying to phase out the V6.

As for the styling a big facet of that and the entire purpose of introducing the 4 banger ecoboost is to appeal to the global market. This is the first year the Mustang will truly be sold globally.

While the iconic car is a big V8, is just not feasible for a lot of people in Europe and Asia where gas prices are absurd.

The styling also has to appeal to more than Americans or muscle car lovers. It's a numbers game.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Final number on the GT is 435 HP and 400 ft lbs of torque. Not terrible, but not as much as I wanted. V6 loses 5 HP 300 hp/290 lb-ft =[ and 4 banger is at 310 ponies and 320 lb-ft. Only the 4 banger and GT will have Performance pack options from now on. Looks like Ford may be trying to phase out the V6.

As for the styling a big facet of that and the entire purpose of introducing the 4 banger ecoboost is to appeal to the global market. This is the first year the Mustang will truly be sold globally.

While the iconic car is a big V8, is just not feasible for a lot of people in Europe and Asia where gas prices are absurd.

The styling also has to appeal to more than Americans or muscle car lovers. It's a numbers game.

If the nameplate is going to survive another 50 years, it has to evolve. The 2015 is a step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
If the nameplate is going to survive another 50 years, it has to evolve. The 2015 is a step in the right direction.

Agreed. Honestly, as a V6 owner, I wouldn't mind the V6 eventually being phased out for an I4. They phased out the I6 didn't they? Lol
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I suspect that the V6 has not changed actual HP, but Ford decided to emphasize the ecoboost engine. They want it to attract the road racer. Light weight, performance package, and other factors will make it great on tracks that had suffered with the old solid axle. The V6 is going to retain a solid market from the non-enthusiast buyers. And for those like myself, who like to build their own road/show/race car from a low starter price. As for the performance package, a careful buyer can do better for a lower cost. The 2015 looks to be a winner. If money was no object, I could see buying the ecoboost model. I also expect that the upcoming smaller ecoboost V6 for the F150 will create great speculation of its place in the Mustang.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #145
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Ecoboost v6, yes please.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #146
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Ecoboost v6, yes please.

Why don't we just do a twin turbo V8 and call it a CoyoteBoost?
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Why don't we just do a twin turbo V8 and call it a CoyoteBoost?

How about WolfPak?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
How about WolfPak?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
I like that.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hi. I'm new here. I've been reading the specs on the V6 and I think that the reason they went with no Premium Package is because they expect people to modify it. The car comes with the upgraded SYNC in the base model and half of the current premium features already, from what I can tell.

If you're racing it or modding it, you just want a cheap interior and pretty much nothing else to keep the price down. The question is whether this will work out or not. I've run across a couple of supercharged V6s and they are wicked machines due to how fast they make power (DI plus VVT plus supercharger = rocket off the line). But there are few of them available as the entire market seems obsessed with parts for the V8s.

But I suspect almost all of the modders will want the V8.

At $32K, though, with no discounts for the first couple of years, it's a rich boy's toy for sure. I fear that it's all going to be too much of a pile of small changes. It doesn't look one bit like a muscle car, won't drive like one - more like a G37, costs too much, and the Camaro and Challenger are being re-worked to offer more value for less money?

It will sell well in Europe for sure.(first Mustang for sale in the U.K. in a very very long time) And yuppies will love it. But it's clear that the traditional muscle-car base is not what they want to sell to any more.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
Hi. I'm new here. I've been reading the specs on the V6 and I think that the reason they went with no Premium Package is because they expect people to modify it. The car comes with the upgraded SYNC in the base model and half of the current premium features already, from what I can tell.

If you're racing it or modding it, you just want a cheap interior and pretty much nothing else to keep the price down. The question is whether this will work out or not. I've run across a couple of supercharged V6s and they are wicked machines due to how fast they make power (DI plus VVT plus supercharger = rocket off the line). But there are few of them available as the entire market seems obsessed with parts for the V8s.

At $32K, though, with no discounts for the first couple of years, it's a rich boy's toy for sure. I fear that it's all going to be too much of a pile of small changes. It doesn't look one bit like a muscle car, won't drive like one - more like a G37, costs too much, and the Camaro and Challenger are being re-worked to offer more value for less money?

It will sell well in Europe for sure.(first Mustang for sale in the U.K. in a very very long time) And yuppies will love it. But it's clear that the traditional muscle-car base is not what they want to sell to any more.

Yep... They ditched us. All business I guess.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Yep... They ditched us. All business I guess.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

Ford didn't ditch any one...they just redesigned the car to appeal to a wider demographic...would you rather the car stay stagnant or just continue to satisfy one type of buyer? All that does is raise the price of the car because sales will never increase and hinder development.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #152
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

Do you have any experience with factory forced induction cars? Once the eco boost cars come out nobody is going to buy the V6's with the intention of modding them. Just like with the 03 cobras and newer Roush S/C'ed mustangs its just a matter of time upon release that someone will make a kit to put them at 4-5 hundred HP for 1-2 grand in mods. There's just no way to get those numbers out of a N/A V6 for that price unless you go N20.

As far as not being a muscle car, some would argue that was lost a long time ago when leather, heated seats, navigation, power everything, etc were offered in these cars. In order for these cars to sell they have to have these items to appeal to the people who buy them. And the majority of Mustangs ford sells are not to be turned into drag cars. The people who do that very rarely buy a brand new car for that and generally go used which makes them NOT ford customers. And the 'rich boys toy' comment its kind on an invalid point to place just on the 15's as there priced right around what a 14 is priced at. And lets be honest, if someone is financing a car for 28-29 it won't be an issue for them to finance 32-33 for a car or save for a few months for a larger down payment.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Do you have any experience with factory forced induction cars? Once the eco boost cars come out nobody is going to buy the V6's with the intention of modding them. Just like with the 03 cobras and newer Roush S/C'ed mustangs its just a matter of time upon release that someone will make a kit to put them at 4-5 hundred HP for 1-2 grand in mods. There's just no way to get those numbers out of a N/A V6 for that price unless you go N20.

As far as not being a muscle car, some would argue that was lost a long time ago when leather, heated seats, navigation, power everything, etc were offered in these cars. In order for these cars to sell they have to have these items to appeal to the people who buy them. And the majority of Mustangs ford sells are not to be turned into drag cars. The people who do that very rarely buy a brand new car for that and generally go used which makes them NOT ford customers. And the 'rich boys toy' comment its kind on an invalid point to place just on the 15's as there priced right around what a 14 is priced at. And lets be honest, if someone is financing a car for 28-29 it won't be an issue for them to finance 32-33 for a car or save for a few months for a larger down payment.

+1 you said it right

Old 07-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That was kind of my point. The V6 will be caught in a no-man's land since those who want to mod it won't have the parts available or the desire to do so. The V6 will almost certainly be phased out in a few years due to terrible sales.

Yes, you can make the 4 go faster, but it's going to be a tough sale to people in the U.S. They buy these cars partly for the performance, and partly for the muscle car image. And the 15 has none of the latter.

Honestly it reminds me of what happened to the Cadillac CTS. There is a V8 version made, and it's very fast, but the CTS-V can't escape the fact that it's made from the same DNA as its younger luxury brother. It has zero appeal to anyone who would buy a Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger. And sales are predictably slow.

I fear that the next generation Mustang will be seen as "oh, and there's also a V8 version..." due to too many engine choices, a softer interior, and softer ride.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That was kind of my point. The V6 will be caught in a no-man's land since those who want to mod it won't have the parts available or the desire to do so. The V6 will almost certainly be phased out in a few years due to terrible sales.

Yes, you can make the 4 go faster, but it's going to be a tough sale to people in the U.S. They buy these cars partly for the performance, and partly for the muscle car image. And the 15 has none of the latter.

Honestly it reminds me of what happened to the Cadillac CTS. There is a V8 version made, and it's very fast, but the CTS-V can't escape the fact that it's made from the same DNA as its younger luxury brother. It has zero appeal to anyone who would buy a Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger. And sales are predictably slow.

I fear that the next generation Mustang will be seen as "oh, and there's also a V8 version..." due to too many engine choices, a softer interior, and softer ride.

Not sure what you mean here. The CTS V --coupe and sedan--target completely different markets than say the Mustang; Camaro or Challenger. The type of person that buys the CTS V also has the $$ to get a Vette or Viper if he wants. These types of people don't usually get Mustangs etc.

How do you know if the turbo 4 won't have enough performance? You haven't driven it. That model will target women; men that want a Mustang but not the insurance payment of a V8 and kids that just turned 18 and have their license. V8 sales only make up about 20% of Mustang's volume...see my point?

If anyone had the thought "...oh and there's a V8 version too..." they would've had that thought years ago...nothing has changed but the fact that Ford has designed and built a much better car...

Old 07-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Although I do feel like a red headed step child with the v6, at least it's a decent 6. Not like we are struggling for mid 2s at the crank, we have good engines- even if Ford wants to underrate it to boost 4 sales.

If in the future the six is gone, as long as the 4 can do the same or better, it's fine with me. I just can't imagine the 4 sounding great at WOT. Hopefully better than a ricecar at 3k rpms lol.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Although I do feel like a red headed step child with the v6, at least it's a decent 6. Not like we are struggling for mid 2s at the crank, we have good engines- even if Ford wants to underrate it to boost 4 sales.

If in the future the six is gone, as long as the 4 can do the same or better, it's fine with me. I just can't imagine the 4 sounding great at WOT. Hopefully better than a ricecar at 3k rpms lol.

See link below..What's your opinion? Does the T-4 sound good? I think they did a great job with the exhaust tuning...

http://youtu.be/HrNpFAj2Ic8

Old 07-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

Here's another

http://youtu.be/hOO3dxIfs8E

Old 07-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #159
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It's still surprising to how many of the V6 guys are upset by the eco boost transition. If it makes the same or more HP, gets better MPG's then why not welcome it. I wonder if the 4.6 guys got this upset when the 5.0's came out.

Fact is that if Ford and other manufacture don't continue to be innovative there going to be out of business with how competitive the market is. That's what happened to GM, Chrysler, and Ford not too long ago. And while ford didn't get bailed out they did accept to ton of low interest loans from the government in 2009 so they weren't too far from the same boat GM and Chrysler were in not to long ago.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's still surprising to how many of the V6 guys are upset by the eco boost transition. If it makes the same or more HP, gets better MPG's then why not welcome it. I wonder if the 4.6 guys got this upset when the 5.0's came out.

Fact is that if Ford and other manufacture don't continue to be innovative there going to be out of business with how competitive the market is. That's what happened to GM, Chrysler, and Ford not too long ago. And while ford didn't get bailed out they did accept to ton of low interest loans from the government in 2009 so they weren't too far from the same boat GM and Chrysler were in not to long ago.
I promise you the 4.6 guys were upset. **** I had a supercharged 3v and sold it to buy a 5.0.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #161
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm a 4.6 guy and I embraced the change for two reasons. One, it's better for the nameplate long term. Second, it gives me motivation to mod my car.

Ford didn't take government money. They used the blue oval and nameplates like the Mustang and F150 as collateral to get bank loans (on the promise to shareholders they would deliver quality, competitive products) when the banks were still offering money to the automakers. Short term is was difficult for Ford because the loans were high interest but long term we now see the benefits of this risk. In my opinion, this was a gamble they had to take and it's definitely paid off both on a product and marketing side.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I promise you the 4.6 guys were upset. **** I had a supercharged 3v and sold it to buy a 5.0.

And look what that move did. You bought another car--and I assume you're content with your decision and Ford got more sales. Win win in IMO...

Old 07-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly all the introduction of the 5.0 did for me was hey I want to SUPERCHARGE my 4.6 so I can have more Hp than a 5.0 and I did . The body style didn't appeal to me at all of the 2010 and up I prefer mine and still do. And now we have the Fusion / Asian / Euro stang and I'm still not impressed . People need to realize 90% of what sells a car is styling NOT HP , SHOCK / HORROR it's true so that being said I wonder how well the new 2015 will sell , Ford was smart to sell it in Europe and the rest of the world HENCE the styling it will do well there but in north America I'm not so sure.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #164
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
I'm a 4.6 guy and I embraced the change for two reasons. One, it's better for the nameplate long term. Second, it gives me motivation to mod my car.

Ford didn't take government money. They used the blue oval and nameplates like the Mustang and F150 as collateral to get bank loans (on the promise to shareholders they would deliver quality, competitive products) when the banks were still offering money to the automakers. Short term is was difficult for Ford because the loans were high interest but long term we now see the benefits of this risk. In my opinion, this was a gamble they had to take and it's definitely paid off both on a product and marketing side.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
Exactly all the introduction of the 5.0 did for me was hey I want to SUPERCHARGE my 4.6 so I can have more Hp than a 5.0 and I did . The body style didn't appeal to me at all of the 2010 and up I prefer mine and still do. And now we have the Fusion / Asian / Euro stang and I'm still not impressed . People need to realize 90% of what sells a car is styling NOT HP , SHOCK / HORROR it's true so that being said I wonder how well the new 2015 will sell , Ford was smart to sell it in Europe and the rest of the world HENCE the styling it will do well there but in north America I'm not so sure.
More than a stock one. Basic Boltons and e85 will get the 5.0 more than you will safely on a stock motor

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

As a proud 3.7 owner who loves their V6 I personally couldn't give a fuzzy rats a$$ about Ford producing a 4 banger. I couldn't give a rats a$$ if Ford fazed out the V6. In fact, this enthusiast couldn't give a crap if Ford produced a 325 HP 3 banger triple turbo mustang. As long as that b otch runs 13.5 1/4 mile times from factory, I'm game. Rock out Ford, and make a 2 cylinder mustang for all that I give a *****.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #167
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
As a proud 3.7 owner who loves their V6 I personally couldn't give a fuzzy rats a$$ about Ford producing a 4 banger. I couldn't give a rats a$$ if Ford fazed out the V6. In fact, this enthusiast couldn't give a crap if Ford produced a 325 HP 3 banger triple turbo mustang. As long as that b otch runs 13.5 1/4 mile times from factory, I'm game. Rock out Ford, and make a 2 cylinder mustang for all that I give a *****.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1405918625.726914.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	764.2 KB
ID:	161909

Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #168
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Tags
2015 mustang