Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2015 mustang gained 200-300 lbs?

11K views 167 replies 29 participants last post by  gladiatoro 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
With new safety regs, and IRS, it's not impossible. I'd say if it gained, probably 150-200

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#3 ·
So the 2015 Mustang gained 200 pounds yet has 20 hp more and 10fptq but because of the added weight it will be a slower car hmmm.... and come in at 3700 pounds.
and have 440 or so Hp. We will see some say it has more aluminum in it so it is
a bit lighter I'm not so sure and of course IRS ads weight but it is a all new platform
so.... I think we will find out soon enough as they will hit the showroom floors
very soon early fall.

#4 · (Edited)
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1405_2015_ford_mustang_rebooting_the_legend/

One point that's drawn considerable interest and some skepticism: While the final specifications have not yet been released, Ford sources confidently say the new car will be at least 200 pounds lighter than the current Mustang. How that could be accomplished has a few observers scratching their heads. How can a vehicle cover the same footprint, include additional safety and convenience features, not to mention bigger wheels, tires, and brakes, and still come in 200 pounds under the previous model? (For reference, the 2014 curb weight is 3,618 pounds.) This is a feat that bears watching, and we'll stay tuned. The '15 Mustang arrives in showrooms in the fourth quarter of 2014!

I really doesn't make sense more like + 200 pounds.

#5 ·
Interesting... I thought Ford swore that the new car would weigh less even with the IRS because it's smaller and they are using lighter materials for the car.

From everything I have read or heard up until now, Ford was 100% dedicated to making the Mustang a world class car. Adding weight to an already fat car is, I would think, the last thing they would want to do.

If the new car does actually gain that much weight, I think the 6th gen Camaro will absolutely walk all over it. It will be built on the Alpha platform. The new 2015 Cadillac ATS coupe is built on this platform and it's a 2 door car that weighs 3418 lbs in base trim. Although the heftier power train and suspension components might make it end up being 3400 - 3500 lbs car. That along with their experience on building high performance suspension setups on this platform, and Gen 5 LT power ...

If Ford screws this up, GM will be going for the jugular and this time, they might actually hit it.

#6 ·
Man I hope it isn't true. But it does say it right there in the article in black and white. I really think this could hurt their sales. There are alot of people who are skeptical of the new design and with an added 200-300 lbs on top of that I could see some people getting turned off from it. Heck, I don't want an almost 4000 lb mustang with minimally added horsepower.

#7 ·
Careful Ford... you nailed it with the 2011 and are releasing an uglier car with an unproven rear suspension setup and the same motor.

Agreed with ISH, if the 2015 performance is the same or only marginally better than the 2011 the Camaro is going to have a field day with it.

I'm more worried about a crappy 2015-up car driving the values of the 2011-2014 cars higher than they are now. I mean look at the 03/04 Cobra. Nice ones are in the low-mid $20s and climbing. Might be the same case for the current generation of Coyotes... and here I was hoping to get into one in the next few years for $17-$20k...

crap...

#8 ·
It better be lighter...otherwise whats the point? Lightness is an awesome thing, and 3600lbs is already over the limit. If they can get it down to 3300-3400lbs, its going to be a monster! Corvettes weight around 3200-3300lbs, just some food for thought.

But then there is reality. Pick two, lightweight, cheap, or fast. If they go with thinner/stronger steals its going to add cost. Suspension won't loose that much weight, as you still have to handle 400+ hp.
I came from a car that was designed to be as light as possible, a Scion FR-S. Everytime you drove it the compromises that were made to keep it lightweight were readily apparent. While I think there are plenty of drivers/owners out there willing to live with a no frills lightweight coupe, your average mustang buyer still wants a somewhat refined vehicle. I think best case scenario we see a GT base starting at ~3500lbs, with premiums going upwards of 3600lbs.

If the car is actually 3700lbs+ I'm going to be really disappointed.

#9 ·
It did go on a diet... of nothing but fat...

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
It's been confirmed today. The new mustang is heavier. Wtf ford? Way to just lie to everybody. they really went in the wrong direction with this new mustang.

The base gt will be 170 lbs heavier and the premium, 250 lbs. Can you say FAIL?!!! I'm so dissapointed.

The 2015 Mustang gets fatter, but not as much as you think - Road & Track
What the **** Ford?! Welp at least the 2011-2014s are still young and will be for some time. I just don't think the prices on them are going to drop when the 2015 is released like everyone kept saying would happen.

#12 · (Edited)
It's official, I'm so freakin glad I went with an 11-14 instead of dissapointment after dissapointment with the 15, from the body, to probably not much gains, to HEAVIER.

If I was looking for a car now instead of a year ago, I'd look at a used 11-14 GT, a 14 Camaro SS 1LE, or the Corvette C7 Stingray. Heck, I'd probably wait a year or 2 and look at the 16 Camaro.

GM is going to destroy Ford with the new Camaro now. Ford gained weight, and GM is about to have the Camaro get weight reduction surgery with the new platform, and the LT1 engine.

#86 ·
+1

I bought my 2012 with a critical weight criteria. It had to be lighter or equal to my previous cars. It made it barely (5 pounds lighter !!!). I am glad I made the move, because it seems that it crossed the line now. I had 2 transams, but I may not purchase a second mustang. I am very satisfied with my Mustang as it is now.

#15 ·
Just saw another article, that was pure SPECULATION by steeda, no one knows what it weighs.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Last I heard about that it was a 5.2L twin turbo. In the videos, you can hear the turbo.

#17 ·
Probably, if they are lucky, maybe, maybe 50 pounds lighter.

#18 ·
"The 2015 Mustang was also engineered to meet harsher roof-crush standards, so that reinforced structure also adds pounds to the scales." I'm not an engineer, err, well not a mechanical engineer but I know that adding pounds to the roof, creates a higher center of gravity, a high CG makes for a horrible car.

This isn't going to end well for Ford. The added weight will further emphasize the coyotes already anemic low end grunt, of which the LS and LT engines have more than enough of.

For comparison, the coyote in GT form doesn't make 300 ft lbs until 3200 rpm, the LS3 in Camaro form makes 300 ft lbs at 2100 rpm while the new LT1 Corvette puts out 300 ft lbs at just 1600 rpm. All 100% stock on K&N's dyno.

So more weight, not much power at low revs and an unknown suspension package, which based on their previous attempts has been a failure.

This car will likely need at least 20 rwhp and 20 rwtq to equal the current car's performance, assuming the transmission ratio's and rear axle ratios are the same and weight distribution is similar.

Combine all of that into a car that is getting mostly negative opinions on looks, with likely the same or worse performance as the previous generation and the competition adding power while significantly reducing weight, it all adds up to a huge miss for Ford, who once again, seems to have taken themselves out.

#21 ·
It's funny to read peoples responses as this always happens when a new model comes out. But when it comes down to it most people who don't care about track numbers will likely prefer the IRS and all the added features even if it adds 150 lbs to the car. And Ford knows racing guys will mod the car to meet racing needs while people who want a nice DD wont, they will just go elsewhere.

As soon as Ford said that the 15's would have an IRS I knew there would be a group of people who would prefer the 11-14's with the solid rear axle simple for racing purposes. Its hard to say but I doubt the IRS will be able to support 500-600 HP consistently at the track. I mean look at 99% of the 03/04 cobras and they have had the IRS replaced due to them breaking.

#22 · (Edited)
The 99-04 IRS breaks because of wheel hop which is induced by crap rubber bushings Ford made the engineers put in for NVH reasons. A good bushing kit can almost totally alleviate wheelhop. Now... is the 99-04 IRS optimal? No it isn't but with the right mods it is pretty damn good. Would I run one in a drag car? Hell no. Would I run one in a road racer over a watt's link SRA setup? You bet your ass. Its all in personal preference for the street.

As for the 2015... honestly its not so much the IRS, at least to me. Its the weight and the weight is one of the problems with the S197. The Fox4 chassis has a ridonkulously huge aftermarket and with a Coyote swap relatively common these days it isn't like one can't stuff a Coyote into a fox or SN95 without too much trouble to wind up with a 3000-3300lb car that is setup amazingly with all new aftermarket parts and get all the benefits of the Coyote platform. The only problem here is that you will likely have $15-$20k into a car worth $6k but since when has that ever stopped anyone?

#31 · (Edited)
If she's hotter...

:angel:

I kid, I kid. However, back in the day "hot rodding" was about doing whatever worked to get the most power for the least money. The LSx swap IS "hot rodding". Honestly the Coyote is damn near as foreign to a non-Coyote Mustang as a LSx is. Its amazing how far out of the way Ford went to modify a lot of stuff JUST enough so that modular parts would not work on it/vice versa. Yeah you have the rods and there are adapters for the Boss intake but that's about it...

#34 ·
I'd just like to point out that pushrods are great at low end power, but modulars are great at high revving. Since 4 small valves out flow 2 big ones at high rpms.

Look at most Big Block engines getting great low end but going to 5k rpm, then there is Rapinator redlining his 5.0 at 8100.

Different strokes for different folks.

But yea if the new Coyote gains weight and only the claimed 20 horsepower I'll be glad I'm sticking with my New Edge and modding that.

#36 ·
Wait, the mighty Coyote 5.0 doesn't make much power until 3000 RPM? The whole reason I would even consider it is if I could lug around and not have to downshift like on the V6. The thing that disappointed me with my 03 GT is it didn't feel like a grunty V8, I had to rev that thing just like on my 350Z. The whole point of getting a V8 is not having to shift as much and having the option of more than one gear at any given time. I hope the new Mustang does well but as an Import type of guy the Turbo 4 is the only one that interests me in the least but not if it's heavier than my 2014 V6.

#37 ·
Lol no the point of a v8 is not so you can shift less lmao. I'm sure when they say it's weak in the low rpms they are comparing it to how it is in high rpms. It's probably relatively fast in low rpms, just not comparable to when it revved up.

#38 ·
The coyote 5.0 simply requires RPM to make power. Whereas the Hemi's and LS3 do not.

If you look at a dyno graph, the coyote engine is very soft before 3,000 rpm, after that it does alright. The competition simply makes a good bit more power from idle to 3,000 rpm.

K&N's website has dyno graphs for nearly every car. Look through these to see for yourself.

2011+ Mustang 5.0 - http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-2578_dyno.pdf

LS3 Corvette (don't have an LS3 Camaro) - http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-3073_dyno.pdf

2010 L99 Camaro (automatic) - http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-3074_dyno.pdf

2011 Challenger SRT8 6.4L - http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-2545_dyno.pdf

So looking through those, at 2000 rpm, the Mustang is only putting down 80 rwhp and 230 rwtq, the Challenger SRT8 6.4 is putting down around 120 rwhp and 330 rwtq, the LS3 is putting down around 110 rwhp and 280 rwtq, the L99 Camaro looks to put down around 110 rwhp and 300 rwtq.

Those are fairly large differences where the majority of people do their driving. Also, adding more weight to this car will further emphasize it's lack of low end power compared with the competition.

The 5.0 still has enough torque to lug at lower rpm, it's just not anything close to the competition.
If you want to shift less, buy an automatic.

#39 ·
What I wanna know is, where the hell are those ass clowns that used to be all over the 2015 rumors threads stating it as FACT that they had knowledge and confirmation that the '15 was going to be smaller and lighter than the prior year model? Where the flip are those guys?!? They have some esssplaing to doo!!!

#40 ·
We all know this is a guess from Steeda, who have not weighed anything- they were "looking at it" and THOUGHT this. They have since made some changes to their statement.

In a Ford One article FORD stated it lost weight. No offense to Steeda, but them looking at it vs Fords statement; I'll go with Ford. They haven't really been screwing things up lately, I doubt they did here.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.