2015 mustang gained 200-300 lbs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
2015 mustang gained 200-300 lbs?

I came across an article written by the guys at steeda about the 2015 mustang. In the second paragraph it talks about how the new mustang gained a couple hundred lbs. Could this be true? Check it out..

2015 Mustang Product Development Update « Steeda Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
With new safety regs, and IRS, it's not impossible. I'd say if it gained, probably 150-200

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
So the 2015 Mustang gained 200 pounds yet has 20 hp more and 10fptq but because of the added weight it will be a slower car hmmm.... and come in at 3700 pounds.
and have 440 or so Hp. We will see some say it has more aluminum in it so it is
a bit lighter I'm not so sure and of course IRS ads weight but it is a all new platform
so.... I think we will find out soon enough as they will hit the showroom floors
very soon early fall.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...ng_the_legend/

One point that's drawn considerable interest and some skepticism: While the final specifications have not yet been released, Ford sources confidently say the new car will be at least 200 pounds lighter than the current Mustang. How that could be accomplished has a few observers scratching their heads. How can a vehicle cover the same footprint, include additional safety and convenience features, not to mention bigger wheels, tires, and brakes, and still come in 200 pounds under the previous model? (For reference, the 2014 curb weight is 3,618 pounds.) This is a feat that bears watching, and we'll stay tuned. The '15 Mustang arrives in showrooms in the fourth quarter of 2014!

I really doesn't make sense more like + 200 pounds.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Interesting... I thought Ford swore that the new car would weigh less even with the IRS because it's smaller and they are using lighter materials for the car.

From everything I have read or heard up until now, Ford was 100% dedicated to making the Mustang a world class car. Adding weight to an already fat car is, I would think, the last thing they would want to do.

If the new car does actually gain that much weight, I think the 6th gen Camaro will absolutely walk all over it. It will be built on the Alpha platform. The new 2015 Cadillac ATS coupe is built on this platform and it's a 2 door car that weighs 3418 lbs in base trim. Although the heftier power train and suspension components might make it end up being 3400 - 3500 lbs car. That along with their experience on building high performance suspension setups on this platform, and Gen 5 LT power ...

If Ford screws this up, GM will be going for the jugular and this time, they might actually hit it.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Man I hope it isn't true. But it does say it right there in the article in black and white. I really think this could hurt their sales. There are alot of people who are skeptical of the new design and with an added 200-300 lbs on top of that I could see some people getting turned off from it. Heck, I don't want an almost 4000 lb mustang with minimally added horsepower.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Careful Ford... you nailed it with the 2011 and are releasing an uglier car with an unproven rear suspension setup and the same motor.

Agreed with ISH, if the 2015 performance is the same or only marginally better than the 2011 the Camaro is going to have a field day with it.

I'm more worried about a crappy 2015-up car driving the values of the 2011-2014 cars higher than they are now. I mean look at the 03/04 Cobra. Nice ones are in the low-mid $20s and climbing. Might be the same case for the current generation of Coyotes... and here I was hoping to get into one in the next few years for $17-$20k...

crap...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It better be lighter...otherwise whats the point? Lightness is an awesome thing, and 3600lbs is already over the limit. If they can get it down to 3300-3400lbs, its going to be a monster! Corvettes weight around 3200-3300lbs, just some food for thought.

But then there is reality. Pick two, lightweight, cheap, or fast. If they go with thinner/stronger steals its going to add cost. Suspension won't loose that much weight, as you still have to handle 400+ hp.
I came from a car that was designed to be as light as possible, a Scion FR-S. Everytime you drove it the compromises that were made to keep it lightweight were readily apparent. While I think there are plenty of drivers/owners out there willing to live with a no frills lightweight coupe, your average mustang buyer still wants a somewhat refined vehicle. I think best case scenario we see a GT base starting at ~3500lbs, with premiums going upwards of 3600lbs.

If the car is actually 3700lbs+ I'm going to be really disappointed.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It did go on a diet... of nothing but fat...

2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It's been confirmed today. The new mustang is heavier. Wtf ford? Way to just lie to everybody. they really went in the wrong direction with this new mustang.

The base gt will be 170 lbs heavier and the premium, 250 lbs. Can you say FAIL?!!! I'm so dissapointed.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...?src=soc_fcbks
Old 06-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
It's been confirmed today. The new mustang is heavier. Wtf ford? Way to just lie to everybody. they really went in the wrong direction with this new mustang.

The base gt will be 170 lbs heavier and the premium, 250 lbs. Can you say FAIL?!!! I'm so dissapointed.

The 2015 Mustang gets fatter, but not as much as you think - Road & Track
What the **** Ford?! Welp at least the 2011-2014s are still young and will be for some time. I just don't think the prices on them are going to drop when the 2015 is released like everyone kept saying would happen.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It's official, I'm so freakin glad I went with an 11-14 instead of dissapointment after dissapointment with the 15, from the body, to probably not much gains, to HEAVIER.

If I was looking for a car now instead of a year ago, I'd look at a used 11-14 GT, a 14 Camaro SS 1LE, or the Corvette C7 Stingray. Heck, I'd probably wait a year or 2 and look at the 16 Camaro.

GM is going to destroy Ford with the new Camaro now. Ford gained weight, and GM is about to have the Camaro get weight reduction surgery with the new platform, and the LT1 engine.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Thats sad, really sad. Makes me happy with my 2012. What do you get when you take a GT mustang, give it independent suspension and an extra couple hundred pounds? A Camaro SS....

Good luck Ford. The new Cobra better have over 700hp lol.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Rumor Is the new gt 350 will be kept naturally aspirated to try and reduce anymore weight gain.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just saw another article, that was pure SPECULATION by steeda, no one knows what it weighs.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Rumor Is the new gt 350 will be kept naturally aspirated to try and reduce anymore weight gain.
Last I heard about that it was a 5.2L twin turbo. In the videos, you can hear the turbo.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Just saw another article, that was pure SPECULATION by steeda, no one knows what it weighs.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Last I heard about that it was a 5.2L twin turbo. In the videos, you can hear the turbo.

It's all technically speculation at this point. Until ford finally decides to release official numbers we won't know for sure. But I think we can confidently conclude with all evidence taken into consideration the new gt will be heavier.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Probably, if they are lucky, maybe, maybe 50 pounds lighter.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

"The 2015 Mustang was also engineered to meet harsher roof-crush standards, so that reinforced structure also adds pounds to the scales." I'm not an engineer, err, well not a mechanical engineer but I know that adding pounds to the roof, creates a higher center of gravity, a high CG makes for a horrible car.

This isn't going to end well for Ford. The added weight will further emphasize the coyotes already anemic low end grunt, of which the LS and LT engines have more than enough of.

For comparison, the coyote in GT form doesn't make 300 ft lbs until 3200 rpm, the LS3 in Camaro form makes 300 ft lbs at 2100 rpm while the new LT1 Corvette puts out 300 ft lbs at just 1600 rpm. All 100% stock on K&N's dyno.

So more weight, not much power at low revs and an unknown suspension package, which based on their previous attempts has been a failure.

This car will likely need at least 20 rwhp and 20 rwtq to equal the current car's performance, assuming the transmission ratio's and rear axle ratios are the same and weight distribution is similar.

Combine all of that into a car that is getting mostly negative opinions on looks, with likely the same or worse performance as the previous generation and the competition adding power while significantly reducing weight, it all adds up to a huge miss for Ford, who once again, seems to have taken themselves out.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
"The 2015 Mustang was also engineered to meet harsher roof-crush standards, so that reinforced structure also adds pounds to the scales." I'm not an engineer, err, well not a mechanical engineer but I know that adding pounds to the roof, creates a higher center of gravity, a high CG makes for a horrible car.

This isn't going to end well for Ford. The added weight will further emphasize the coyotes already anemic low end grunt, of which the LS and LT engines have more than enough of.

For comparison, the coyote in GT form doesn't make 300 ft lbs until 3200 rpm, the LS3 in Camaro form makes 300 ft lbs at 2100 rpm while the new LT1 Corvette puts out 300 ft lbs at just 1600 rpm. All 100% stock on K&N's dyno.

So more weight, not much power at low revs and an unknown suspension package, which based on their previous attempts has been a failure.

This car will likely need at least 20 rwhp and 20 rwtq to equal the current car's performance, assuming the transmission ratio's and rear axle ratios are the same and weight distribution is similar.

Combine all of that into a car that is getting mostly negative opinions on looks, with likely the same or worse performance as the previous generation and the competition adding power while significantly reducing weight, it all adds up to a huge miss for Ford, who once again, seems to have taken themselves out.
It sure seems that way like you said the problem with the 5.0 is it doesn't make
much power down low...
Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
It sure seems that way like you said the problem with the 5.0 is it doesn't make
much power down low...
FRPP tune anyone... adds 60 lb - ft of torque at 1500 RPM'S

Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It's funny to read peoples responses as this always happens when a new model comes out. But when it comes down to it most people who don't care about track numbers will likely prefer the IRS and all the added features even if it adds 150 lbs to the car. And Ford knows racing guys will mod the car to meet racing needs while people who want a nice DD wont, they will just go elsewhere.

As soon as Ford said that the 15's would have an IRS I knew there would be a group of people who would prefer the 11-14's with the solid rear axle simple for racing purposes. Its hard to say but I doubt the IRS will be able to support 500-600 HP consistently at the track. I mean look at 99% of the 03/04 cobras and they have had the IRS replaced due to them breaking.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

The 99-04 IRS breaks because of wheel hop which is induced by crap rubber bushings Ford made the engineers put in for NVH reasons. A good bushing kit can almost totally alleviate wheelhop. Now... is the 99-04 IRS optimal? No it isn't but with the right mods it is pretty damn good. Would I run one in a drag car? Hell no. Would I run one in a road racer over a watt's link SRA setup? You bet your ***. Its all in personal preference for the street.

As for the 2015... honestly its not so much the IRS, at least to me. Its the weight and the weight is one of the problems with the S197. The Fox4 chassis has a ridonkulously huge aftermarket and with a Coyote swap relatively common these days it isn't like one can't stuff a Coyote into a fox or SN95 without too much trouble to wind up with a 3000-3300lb car that is setup amazingly with all new aftermarket parts and get all the benefits of the Coyote platform. The only problem here is that you will likely have $15-$20k into a car worth $6k but since when has that ever stopped anyone?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
FRPP tune anyone... adds 60 lb - ft of torque at 1500 RPM'S

Livernois dyno'd the FORD RACING PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION WITH HIGH FLOW K&N AIR FILTER.

It made a 40rwtq difference at 1500 rpm. The car had the FRPP tune, KN filter, Corsa X-Pipe and X-treme Axleback.

Look at this thread - Ford Racing 2011 Mustang GT Performance Cal/Filter Dyno Results

The coyote 5.0 is just weak at low rpm, NA. No getting around it. Unless they add displacement or switch out the cams.

An LS3 with the same mods (filter and tune) puts down around 20 more rwhp and 50 more rwtq at 1500 rpm.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The IRS doesn't interest me because all racing unless motorcross is in a straight line which SRA is better for. I'll take the crazy amount of money i saved on my '14 and now i can keep eating my cheesesteaks
Ar0maticdecay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Livernois dyno'd the FORD RACING PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION WITH HIGH FLOW K&N AIR FILTER.

It made a 40rwtq difference at 1500 rpm. The car had the FRPP tune, KN filter, Corsa X-Pipe and X-treme Axleback.

Look at this thread - Ford Racing 2011 Mustang GT Performance Cal/Filter Dyno Results

The coyote 5.0 is just weak at low rpm, NA. No getting around it. Unless they add displacement or switch out the cams.

An LS3 with the same mods (filter and tune) puts down around 20 more rwhp and 50 more rwtq at 1500 rpm.
And then you get into the 4 cams vs 1 as far as cost effectiveness. Still, a cammed Coyote with a Boss intake is pretty damn stout for NA. I've been looking into them more and more and what a Coyote swap into my 98 would entail vs paying the $22-$28k it looks like a really clean low mileage 2011-up car is going for. Would probably be cheaper to do a LS1 lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar0maticdecay View Post
The IRS doesn't interest me because all racing unless motorcross is in a straight line which SRA is better for. I'll take the crazy amount of money i saved on my '14 and now i can keep eating my cheesesteaks
You had better be a Tony Luke's guy.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
And then you get into the 4 cams vs 1 as far as cost effectiveness. Still, a cammed Coyote with a Boss intake is pretty damn stout for NA. I've been looking into them more and more and what a Coyote swap into my 98 would entail vs paying the $22-$28k it looks like a really clean low mileage 2011-up car is going for. Would probably be cheaper to do a LS1 lol.
I'm not questioning the power output of the coyote, it's a damn good engine. It just doesn't make much power below 3,000 RPM, especially with the Boss intake. Whereas the LS/LT engines make power at nearly every rpm.

As for your car, LS swap that bish already...
Find an LS2 or LQ4/9, get 243 heads (if needed) and port them, get a 228R or Torquer V2 cam, upgrade the valve springs, maf and tune and you will have 400+ rwhp, 380+ rwtq and with a t56 and 3.55 gears, 26+ mpg. Probably have maybe $4,000 - $5,000 wrapped up in the whole thing, it could be much less.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Look at drag strip times for stock vs FRPP tuned coyotes, fairly good improvement for a canned tune, and warranty is fully kept with the FRPP tune.

Also, Dyno it without the KN filter, those things suck, and have been proven to LOSE horsepower, and torque.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Value may stay up on the 2011-2014s if so many people dislike the 2015, don't already have a Mustang, and want to get one. They will be fighting over the 2011-2014s.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I'm not questioning the power output of the coyote, it's a damn good engine. It just doesn't make much power below 3,000 RPM, especially with the Boss intake. Whereas the LS/LT engines make power at nearly every rpm.

As for your car, LS swap that bish already...
Find an LS2 or LQ4/9, get 243 heads (if needed) and port them, get a 228R or Torquer V2 cam, upgrade the valve springs, maf and tune and you will have 400+ rwhp, 380+ rwtq and with a t56 and 3.55 gears, 26+ mpg. Probably have maybe $4,000 - $5,000 wrapped up in the whole thing, it could be much less.
You make far too much sense. And $5k into the WHOLE thing including K member/swap headers/engine/trans/ecu/fuel/errthang??? I knew it was cheap but not THAT cheap. Is that including the $1k or so I'd get for my PI motor and brand new 3650 by selling them?

Old 06-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Putting an ls motor in a mustang is damn near sacrilegious lol. Its like cheating on your wife with another woman.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Putting an ls motor in a mustang is damn near sacrilegious lol. Its like cheating on your wife with another woman.
If she's hotter...

I kid, I kid. However, back in the day "hot rodding" was about doing whatever worked to get the most power for the least money. The LSx swap IS "hot rodding". Honestly the Coyote is damn near as foreign to a non-Coyote Mustang as a LSx is. Its amazing how far out of the way Ford went to modify a lot of stuff JUST enough so that modular parts would not work on it/vice versa. Yeah you have the rods and there are adapters for the Boss intake but that's about it...

Old 06-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Haha you have a point. Everything aside, that would be one bad *** build!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You make far too much sense. And $5k into the WHOLE thing including K member/swap headers/engine/trans/ecu/fuel/errthang??? I knew it was cheap but not THAT cheap. Is that including the $1k or so I'd get for my PI motor and brand new 3650 by selling them?
Nope.

Around here you can find a low mileage (30,000 or less), complete LQ4/9 6.0L with 4l60/80 pullout with harness from a GM truck for around $800 - $1200. That is basically an iron block LS2. Then you would need to swap the accessories, oil pan and intake, unless you actually pick up an LS engine. Then either adapter plates for your stock K member (since you have a 4.6) or an LS based K member if you want to spend more money, headers, wiring, maybe a custom drive shaft, a tune and it's drivable, probably will need gauges and instrument cluster too.

Might need to swap out the radiator too, not sure on that.

I think if you go manual trans, you will need a clutch master cylinder. Not sure on this either.

You can usually find slightly used cams for around $200. Then buy your new valve springs for $300 -$400.

Another thing to consider, an LS will be lighter (between 85 -110 lbs) than the 4.6 and lq engines. So suspension would be needed in the front. Or go iron block and keep it stock.

It all depends on what you can find the parts for. The guy I bought my Z28 from, LS swapped his fox for around $4000 in parts. He went with an LQ4 and T56, an MS4 cam (or similar size), ported heads and sprayed the piss out of it (250 shot i think). I don't think he had to run a custom or swap header.

It's certainly not a single weekend project, but it could likely be done in a few days.

Or just sell the Mustang, use the money for the swap and get that Trans Am already.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I'd just like to point out that pushrods are great at low end power, but modulars are great at high revving. Since 4 small valves out flow 2 big ones at high rpms.

Look at most Big Block engines getting great low end but going to 5k rpm, then there is Rapinator redlining his 5.0 at 8100.

Different strokes for different folks.

But yea if the new Coyote gains weight and only the claimed 20 horsepower I'll be glad I'm sticking with my New Edge and modding that.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Nope.

Around here you can find a low mileage (30,000 or less), complete LQ4/9 6.0L with 4l60/80 pullout with harness from a GM truck for around $800 - $1200. That is basically an iron block LS2. Then you would need to swap the accessories, oil pan and intake, unless you actually pick up an LS engine. Then either adapter plates for your stock K member (since you have a 4.6) or an LS based K member if you want to spend more money, headers, wiring, maybe a custom drive shaft, a tune and it's drivable, probably will need gauges and instrument cluster too.

Might need to swap out the radiator too, not sure on that.

I think if you go manual trans, you will need a clutch master cylinder. Not sure on this either.

You can usually find slightly used cams for around $200. Then buy your new valve springs for $300 -$400.

Another thing to consider, an LS will be lighter (between 85 -110 lbs) than the 4.6 and lq engines. So suspension would be needed in the front. Or go iron block and keep it stock.

It all depends on what you can find the parts for. The guy I bought my Z28 from, LS swapped his fox for around $4000 in parts. He went with an LQ4 and T56, an MS4 cam (or similar size), ported heads and sprayed the piss out of it (250 shot i think). I don't think he had to run a custom or swap header.

It's certainly not a single weekend project, but it could likely be done in a few days.

Or just sell the Mustang, use the money for the swap and get that Trans Am already.
Been doing some research on the swap this morning and while it looks like it would be relatively simple as far as swaps go, this would probably be the best option. Or just get a 2011/2012 Coyote A6 in a few years and call it good.

Apparently the biggest issue with the Mustang swap is nothing to do with getting the engine/trans and everything else mounted up properly, its the goddamn wiring/hvac and emissions if you live in a state like I do.

I guess I would use a PSI harness coupled to a GM computer to control the engine, not sure about hvac, run a Florida 5.0 cluster with aftermarket gauges for that, flaming river manual steering, MM manual brakes, would def want to figure out the AC and then there is the OBDII. From what I've researched on NJ emissions, they scan the door sticker and bump it against the VIN. This means I'd have to use a EFI Live setup to change the VIN in the GM ECU to the Ford VIN and then turn off all the Diagnostic Trouble Codes if any show up which apparently is not hard to do.

But again, I could likely sell my 98 and be 1/2 or 3/4 of the way to a real nice F body or put it towards paying off the rest of my debt (still about 2-3 years away minus the mortgage) and then celebrate with a low mileage Coyote.

Edit: With that said, my 98 is stupid clean, no rust and paid off and $20/mo to insure. And would be very easy to get down to 3000-3100lbs with a LS2 swap...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Tags
2015 mustang