Help a Mopar guy to join the Mustang community - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

Region: Europe
Help a Mopar guy to join the Mustang community

Hello everyone!

I just sold my Procharged nitrous Dodge Magnum which I drove into the low 11s. My brain said sell it but my heart still mourns.

Kids are grown so I don't need to bring a stroller wherever I go - so I'm looking at a new toy with 2 doors.

Started looking at a 2008 Mustang since my buddy has one. Liked the looks and started some reading. The 5.0 seems like a great engine so I started checking out threads about the 2011 5.0 GT. Found out that the 2013 had the Track Package and (in my opinion) better looking tail lights and some other features which I found nice. So now I'm hunting. I live in Sweden so import taxes kills a good deal (I got close to 40K USD for a 2006 Magnum - just to put things in perspective)

I consider myself pretty good at the LX Platform which the Dodge was built on - I know it inside and out after building and upgrading it to the level it was before selling, so I'm not a mechanical idiot - but no pro by any means.

So. I *will* go the Supercharger route rather than Twin turbo setup - since it has to come out every year for inspections. A blower is easier to remove than the twins so that path is already chosen. Then it comes to the questions. Manual or auto? How much beating can they take respectively - and are there any other pros and cons between them? I don't mind really - just want something that holds up.

Torsen diff or not? I will not be taking it to the track - just the strip. There aren't really that many tracks here in Sweden but a lot of action of the kind I assume we don't talk about on this forum (Same thing on lxforums...) 1/4 mile will be the distance I will race.

Where should I start looking for this car? Autotrader has a hard time finding track pack equipped cars (which to my knowledge was a $2495 factory upgrade but cars seems more expensive than that compared to a non track pack 2013). Any advices on this?

Budget is about 30K USD or so - not written in stone by any means.

I'd love to have the Recaro seats - but it's not a deal breaker, nor is the color of the car (thank you vinyl wrapping friends).

I spent the last 2 hours trying to find some decent information on these questions but either I suck at searching or... I probably suck at searching. So please help a Mopar guy out!

Kudos!
Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Looks like you have a price disadvantage with importing a vehicle to Sweden. No doubt a 30K budget can get you a clean, low mileage 2013 or newer GT here in the states, but import taxes and shipping may kill your budget.

Perhaps when the 2015's come out, and if the demand for this new model causes a bunch of folks to trade in their current ride for one, it may flood the market with clean low mileage used Mustangs. This may drop the prices of these older models further, which can be a help to your budget.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #3

Thanks, $30K is before the import taxes and so on. You can always get creative when Importing

I'm going for my yearly 8 week Florida holiday pretty soon and I'm hoping to find the right vehicle to bring home with me. And of course hang a bit with the people at Speedlogix and maybe a visit to AMP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

What part of Florida? I live in the central area....Orlando.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #5

Cool. We rent the same house every year in Kissimmee over at Regal Palms, polk county - 2 mins south from where irlo bronson hooks up on 50
Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Send me a PM when you are arriving....I can send you my cell number, and meet with you. Always a good thing to share some time with our Mustang friends over the pond.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #7

Sure will - if you can stand the 10000 questions I have before taking the plunge and become a mustang owner (which I've secretly admired for the last 10 years for their great community here in sweden - but don't tell the LX-crew I said that. They might kick me out of Florida LX Ownersclub haha)
Old 06-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If you're strictly interested in drag racing get the auto and non-track pack. The standard diff is better for hard abuse from launching. The Torsen is more for powering out of corners than cutting fast 60fts. The recaros will be hard to find without the track pack though. When I was shopping for mine ALL the recaro cars were track packs.
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #9

What would be the odds of finding a gt with the brembo upgrade but no track pack then?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

In the 13-14 models probably pretty rare. Most were spec'd with the track pack option. I don't remember seeing any with just the brembo package.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #11

What does prices look like right now with the 14 out everywhere and the 15 around the corner
Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know what they're doing right now but in sept I was able to get mine for 34k. 2014 gt premium, track pack, and recaros. Sticker was 41k. Is imagine the deals right now are similar. Every dealer around me (Houston, tx) has tons of inventory.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #13

Guess I'll have to bribe Bucko to take me around the Orlando area to shop for a great deal. Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Have fun with the search! The hunt is half the fun! lol
Old 06-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #15

I know. Problem with me is that I'm ├╝ber-cautious when it comes to selecting parts. Took me close to 6 years to finish the magnum to what it became.

http://i.imgur.com/yBunKRk.jpg

How much beating does the 5.0 handle without starting to replace things with forged parts?

Is the 302 intake worth its money?

On the LX there was some basic upgrades everybody did - what would be the 5.0 equivalent to those?
Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Damn! That magnum looks like a monster! lol. I can see why it was hard to let it go.

There's a ton of debate on 5.0 mods. Everyone agrees on getting a tune, and some form of axle backs. An off road x pipe gives almost as good of gains as a set of long tubes. After that everyone has their opinions and preferences. Some people say a CAI doesn't make power and is a waste, but I disagree. With just a tune and cai I made 405whp and 400 torque. A 40-50hp gain over stock.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #17

Yes it was hard to let her go,

Here she is sitting outside the garage
https://www.dropbox.com/s/532xxtnqhb...2016.29.30.jpg

Lol - but that was the past - now let's look into the mustang future. I think I'll be just as happy with a 5.0 with a Procharger on it. Not a lot of people drive with the new I1 blower with adjustable gear ratio - I think I'll be the first in Sweden with it
Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Rebates for 14 gt premium in Orlando area are 4000. You should be able to buy a new one with in your price range.
pss3286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlock View Post
What would be the odds of finding a gt with the brembo upgrade but no track pack then?

Just picked up a base GT Brembo package two weeks ago for $27700 out the door. There are some 14's available but with the larger rebates out for them and the order banks closed from ford they are going to get harder to find if your looking for new...
Big Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT