New Lincoln based on Mustang platform? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Lincoln does not need to sell volume for a sports car. All they need is to break even. They need to sell a car that people drool over and sets new standards. Get the public interested in the Lincoln brand, and then trot out a sedan that is not a four door copy of their sports car, but a new design that reflects the best of both demands. That would be the money maker. Lincoln has to go back to its roots when it had a performance reputation.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Most of the high end sports cars do not break even. LFA, Veyron, XL1, so on. Lamborghini and Ferrari who may be charging millions of dollars for a certain model- sure.

1. What kind of performance car do you expect from Lincoln?
2. What would be impressive?
Mid engine? 500+ NA HP?
(Note for the LFA to be worth while, they took ~8 years. And they spent most of that time in F1. What's Fords pedigree there?)
3. What would be a fair price?
4. Who would really pay that price?

Turning Lincoln into Zonda, and making it profitable seems a lot more difficult than turning a Mustang into a G37.

(Though I agree Lincoln needs to get back on track with the rear wheel drive line. Other than the Navigator, everything is front wheel drive- between that and only automatics, it's understandable why they've lost their performance appeal.)

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Most of the high end sports cars do not break even. LFA, Veyron, XL1, so on. Lamborghini and Ferrari who may be charging millions of dollars for a certain model- sure.

1. What kind of performance car do you expect from Lincoln?
2. What would be impressive?
Mid engine? 500+ NA HP?
(Note for the LFA to be worth while, they took ~8 years. And they spent most of that time in F1. What's Fords pedigree there?)
3. What would be a fair price?
4. Who would really pay that price?

Turning Lincoln into Zonda, and making it profitable seems a lot more difficult than turning a Mustang into a G37.

(Though I agree Lincoln needs to get back on track with the rear wheel drive line. Other than the Navigator, everything is front wheel drive- between that and only automatics, it's understandable why they've lost their performance appeal.)

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Lincoln doesn't need a super-car.

What Lincoln and Ford need are a few RWD platforms to build great cars on.

I think the S550 stretched a few inches would be the perfect platform for a 2 door Lincoln coupe successor to the Mark 7 and 8. Give it all the fancy electronics and upscale interior options, have a lightly tweaked ecoboost v6 (400 - 430 hp and 450+ tq) as the base engine and a detuned version of the Trinity 5.8 (think GM's LS9 - ZR1 Vette and LSA - CTS-V and ZL1 Camaro) or a coyotified 6.2L as the "sporty" optional engine (something around 525 -580 hp and 470 tq+). Give owners the option of either a manual transmission or a solid automatic. Throw on some nice adjustable suspension on the high end version (comfort, sport, etc) that actually works. Price the base model just under the CTS coupe and the sport version just under the CTS-V, give it classic Lincoln styling and Ford will likely have a winner.

Then bring out a successor to the Lincoln LS. That could be easily built off the Australian Ford Falcon platform. Give it similar options and specs as the Mark X, again, another winner. Ford could also replace the Taurus with this platform and compete with the Dodge Charger / Chrysler 300, Chevy SS, BMW 3/5 series. Maybe a stretched version of this could be the next Town Car.

Then bring out a replacement for the Navigator, even the new 2015 model isn't up to what the previous generation Escalade was. Or just keep on keeping on as the Navigator may not sell well but it is a huge profit machine for Ford.

Or just scrap Lincoln all together..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
Uh...no....not sure what market you think Lincoln could compete with here...the T-Bird was a brain fart and didn't sell because it was too expensive and too retro--in other words, overpriced and ugly as hell...the GT was intended to be the halo car that it is and prove to the world that Ford--if it wanted to--could compete with much more exotic offerings than it's domestic competitors...no magazine...no car show...no publication worth it's beans will say that a Vette and/or Viper from the same era offers the driving experience the GT did...not to mention the timeless design and quality compared to the others...the GT had soul and a pedigree behind it...the Vette is like Tupperware and Viper (and I love the Viper) is like wannabe exotic...what Lincoln needs is a 2 door/2 seater luxury sports coupe and 4 door luxury sports sedan based on the S550 platform...offer a 4cylinder eco boost with 350hp; 8 speed auto with paddles along with a high performance V8 version using a twin t-chargers and 500hp...an exotic offering badged as a Lincoln is not a good idea--leave that model...and they are working on a successor to the GT--to the Ford brand...both will increase traffic into Ford and Lincoln showrooms...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Ahem...click on link...per the post above, yes, they are working on a successor...(hopefully link works)...

Ford To Make Le Mans Return With New GT Supercar?
2010 FIA GT1 Matech Competition Ford GTEnlarge PhotoA couple of years ago there was a lot of talk about Ford launching ...

MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Let's try this again...

I found this story in the Motor Authority iPhone app:

2010 FIA GT1 Matech Competition Ford GTEnlarge PhotoA couple of years ago there was a lot of talk about Ford launching ...

======
Get the Motor Authority app for yourself today.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
Ahem...click on link...per the post above, yes, they are working on a successor...(hopefully link works)...

I think this is what you were trying to link to: Ford To Make Le Mans Return With New GT Supercar?
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
I think this is what you were trying to link to: Ford To Make Le Mans Return With New GT Supercar?

Yes, thank you!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT