Seriously considering a 5.0 just have a few questions - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
You can make any car as nice as you want it......as long as you have deep pockets lol
r_neck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote5o View Post
All said and done, it'll be about $5k in aftermarket parts until i consider it to be nearly perfect. The car will never be perfect in my mind with the mt-82. I'm currently in an internal debate whether to keep it or be a traitor (Corvette )
Corvettes aren't all they are cracked up to be. I had a 2005 C6 and drove it until it threw a rod at 190k miles. If you think the MT-82 is crap, wait untill you try the garbage shifter and transmisson in the C6 (if thats what you get). It's absolutely horendous. I have the 5.0 with the track pack and the interior with the Recaro seats is at least a million times nicer than the cheap interior in the Corvette. About the only possitive about the Corvette i miss is how small the car feels when you're late for work and weaving in and out of traffic is a necessity. Also, I'm sure you've heard of Corvette tax, trust me. It's a real thing. Getting any work done on it, no matter how small costs a small fortune.

Just thought you'd like my two cents!
Brockman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockman66 View Post
Corvettes aren't all they are cracked up to be. I had a 2005 C6 and drove it until it threw a rod at 190k miles. If you think the MT-82 is crap, wait untill you try the garbage shifter and transmisson in the C6 (if thats what you get). It's absolutely horendous.

Just thought you'd like my two cents!
This forum is getting dumber

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
This forum is getting dumber

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
How so kind sir?
Old 08-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
First off, I'm not sure you can complain about throwing a rod at 190k miles - there were people with #8 cylinder failures in the first months of ownership. 190k is far beyond the intended life anyways. Good luck getting the stang there in one piece.

Second, I would take the T56 from the 97-07 corvettes or the TR6060 from the 2008+ vettes ANYDAY over the mt82. It says something when the base corvette (430hp) is using the same transmission as the GT500 (660hp). You may have good experiences with the mt82, but there are plenty of people who do not - a good friend just traded his in on a c6 zo6 after his 3rd mt82 broke in 15k miles. Another friend has had his 2013 track pack rear replaced 4x and is going to fight Ford to buy it back. I have had my rear replaced once already and the problems still persist. Ford denied my second replacement due to suspension work that had nothing to do with the failure. The transmission grinds, the stock shifter is mounted in a bowl of pudding, the clutch pedal sticks above 6500rpm, the two piece drive shaft sounds like donkey kong's playing under the car. The car is far from perfect and I'd expect a bit more refinement from a brand new car.

With that said, I've still enjoyed the car as a project and enjoy driving it.. i just expected better and intend to upgrade to a car that doesn't need extensive aftermarket modifications to be considered satisfactory to me.
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
First off, I'm not sure you can complain about throwing a rod at 190k miles - there were people with #8 cylinder failures in the first months of ownership. 190k is far beyond the intended life anyways. Good luck getting the stang there in one piece.

Second, I would take the T56 from the 97-07 corvettes or the TR6060 from the 2008+ vettes ANYDAY over the mt82. It says something when the base corvette (430hp) is using the same transmission as the GT500 (660hp). You may have good experiences with the mt82, but there are plenty of people who do not - a good friend just traded his in on a c6 zo6 after his 3rd mt82 broke in 15k miles. Another friend has had his 2013 track pack rear replaced 4x and is going to fight Ford to buy it back. I have had my rear replaced once already and the problems still persist. Ford denied my second replacement due to suspension work that had nothing to do with the failure. The transmission grinds, the stock shifter is mounted in a bowl of pudding, the clutch pedal sticks above 6500rpm, the two piece drive shaft sounds like donkey kong's playing under the car. The car is far from perfect and I'd expect a bit more refinement from a brand new car.

With that said, I've still enjoyed the car as a project and enjoy driving it.. i just expected better and intend to upgrade to a car that doesn't need extensive aftermarket modifications to be considered satisfactory to me.
No disrespect inteded but, unless you've owned and daily driven both cars, I don't really see how you're qualified to make the comparison. The C6 was definitely a pain in the butt to daily drive as well as maintain. It constanly had issues one after another (water pump, harmonic balancer, fuel pressure sensor, water leak, electrical problems, faulty horn, bad wheel bearing and two recalls). I've yet to have a single problem with my GT to date (16,000 miles). I hope your friend was smart enough to buy a Z06 with warranty still left unless he wants to spend $15,000 on a new LS7 when his drops a valve, which seems to be happening spontaneously to random stock Z06s. All I'm saying is that Corvettes arent all they are cracked up to be (with the exception of the C7 as I've yet to have driven one) and that as of now I am more pleased with my GT ownership thusfar than I was at the same point in my Corvette ownership.

That is all.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

None taken - that's the purpose of a forum . In reality, I'm tired of fixing the short-comings from Ford and I've seen too many drivetrain failures around me to really want to continue building the car. I imagine many of the c6 issues you've experienced have to do with it being from the first year of the new model and engine. I know quite a few people who have had c5 zo6's, c6 zo6's, and 2008+ C6's without any major issues. I intend to stay away from the 05-07 c6's.. clearly something wasn't right considering they upgraded the engine, trans, and production process in 2008.
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Old 08-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
None taken - that's the purpose of a forum . In reality, I'm tired of fixing the short-comings from Ford and I've seen too many drivetrain failures around me to really want to continue building the car. I imagine many of the c6 issues you've experienced have to do with it being from the first year of the new model and engine. I know quite a few people who have had c5 zo6's, c6 zo6's, and 2008+ C6's without any major issues. I intend to stay away from the 05-07 c6's.. clearly something wasn't right considering they upgraded the engine, trans, and production process in 2008.
Just a word of advice, try and get a 2012 or newer with the revamped seats and also the widebodies seem to hold their value better than the narrow bodies. And, if your finances are freed up, look into an extended service plan or a GM extended warranty as repairs will eat you alive.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately my finances aren't quite freed for the 2012+ or I'd fore sure just go zo6. I'm not too concerned with repairs - I've done everything myself so far and for anything outside of my capabilities, my dad owns a shop (though its 2.5hrs away). I'll more than likely void the GM warranties anyways - i tend to turn everything into projects because i get bored of them too easily . Just looking for a low mileage ls3/tr6060 (2008+). But i will stop talking about vettes on the mustang forum....for now...
Old 08-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I have a 2014 GT and use it as my daily driver. I love it. Got it new from the factory a little over a year ago. It has over 11k miles on it now and nothing is wrong with it. No rattles, clunks, grinding gears, etc. absolutely zero. I drive it hard during spirited driving and corners frequently, but nothing like the stress of a track. When on long stretches and especially road trips I frequently drive in the 80-95 range (occasionally pushing it to 120) and it is so ridiculously smooth. When I have passengers in the car they occasionally ask me how a sports car feels compared to a regular (economy) car and so I tell them just watch, and I'll accelerate to over 100, and then ask them how fast did they think we went. They usually guess either 80 or 90. They are always completely shocked that we were just rocking past 100. That's how smooth it is at high speeds.

EDIT: BTW I think the interior of my GT premium is quite nice. Very comfy and it looks good.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl1121 View Post
I have a 2014 GT and use it as my daily driver. I love it. Got it new from the factory a little over a year ago. It has over 11k miles on it now and nothing is wrong with it. No rattles, clunks, grinding gears, etc. absolutely zero. I drive it hard during spirited driving and corners frequently, but nothing like the stress of a track. When on long stretches and especially road trips I frequently drive in the 80-95 range (occasionally pushing it to 120) and it is so ridiculously smooth. When I have passengers in the car they occasionally ask me how a sports car feels compared to a regular (economy) car and so I tell them just watch, and I'll accelerate to over 100, and then ask them how fast did they think we went. They usually guess either 80 or 90. They are always completely shocked that we were just rocking past 100. That's how smooth it is at high speeds.

EDIT: BTW I think the interior of my GT premium is quite nice. Very comfy and it looks good.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I by no means hate my car. I love driving it and I've adapter to the MT82 shifting needs. It's like the red-headed step child. The mother still loves him, but just wishes he was a Zo6
Old 08-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

What in the heck do you 5.0 guys do to tear your ***** up time after time? 3 times his transmission took a crap on him. He riding that sucker like a stripper working a pole. Ha ha ha. Jk

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Isnt that how you're supposed to drive a mustang?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

A 1999 vette will get raped by a 5.0 mustang. You can usually tell who the posters that are jealous of the 5.0 are just because of the retarded comments. I have beat on my 13 GT has 25k miles and not a single rattle or noise. It will bark 4th without a tune, not everytime but most. I was a diehard Camaro fan until I drove a new 5th gen. I bought the faster, nicer of those two anyway.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Isnt that how you're supposed to drive a mustang?
That's right bro. Ha. Ha ha

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Seriously considering a 5.0 just have a few questions

Quote:
No disrespect inteded but, unless you've owned and daily driven both cars, I don't really see how you're qualified to make the comparison. The C6 was definitely a pain in the butt to daily drive as well as maintain. It constanly had issues one after another (water pump, harmonic balancer, fuel pressure sensor, water leak, electrical problems, faulty horn, bad wheel bearing and two recalls). I've yet to have a single problem with my GT to date (16,000 miles). I hope your friend was smart enough to buy a Z06 with warranty still left unless he wants to spend $15,000 on a new LS7 when his drops a valve, which seems to be happening spontaneously to random stock Z06s. All I'm saying is that Corvettes arent all they are cracked up to be (with the exception of the C7 as I've yet to have driven one) and that as of now I am more pleased with my GT ownership thusfar than I was at the same point in my Corvette ownership.

That is all.

Valvetrain issues are easily fixed with preventative maintenance. Almost all Z06s that dropped valves dropped them short of 10,000 miles, and it was only those built within a certain timeframe (I forget the dates, but before 2010 for sure). The valvetrain issues were caused by poor QA/QC on a sourced part that led to exceeding designated tolerances. It's really not that big of a deal. Especially because most people that buy a used $40,000 Z06 normally are gear heads that are going to do heads/cam immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
A 1999 vette will get raped by a 5.0 mustang. You can usually tell who the posters that are jealous of the 5.0 are just because of the retarded comments. I have beat on my 13 GT has 25k miles and not a single rattle or noise. It will bark 4th without a tune, not everytime but most. I was a diehard Camaro fan until I drove a new 5th gen. I bought the faster, nicer of those two anyway.
Luckily, you're representative of the population. I have 15k miles and beat on mine and I have experienced issues. Not jealous of the Coyote, I have one. I love the engine. The drivetrain is was fails to impress me. I intend to beat on it until it breaks, hopefully that's never.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why would somebody be jealous of the 5.0..?

It's not an expensive car. They practically give them away nowadays.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Idk I did get a compliment today from a toothless lady. She seemed pretty jealous.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

For what its worth, the transmission itself is probably more stout, but the shifter linkage setup on the C6, at least the two I drove (z51 package), was crap. I didn't street drive them, I was on a race track in a driving school. I was not impressed with the shifters. In fact, I thought the first car was broken until I got into the second.
But that's not that big of a knock on the car, I was very impressed with just about everything else (minus the interior).
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Why would somebody be jealous of the 5.0..?

It's not an expensive car. They practically give them away nowadays.

No its not, my window sticker was cheaper than a lot of V6s. I have the base/cheapo. I think the 5.0 is an awesome engine but a lot of people who don't have it, bash it. If they don't have one and haven't put a lot of miles on one, how would they even know. Now the tranny, although I haven't had any problems with mine "yet", everyone on the planet has heard of all those problems. The Mustang in general is cheaper than most other cars out there. Best bang for your buck!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No its not, my window sticker was cheaper than a lot of V6s. I have the base/cheapo. I think the 5.0 is an awesome engine but a lot of people who don't have it, bash it. If they don't have one and haven't put a lot of miles on one, how would they even know. Now the tranny, although I haven't had any problems with mine "yet", everyone on the planet has heard of all those problems. The Mustang in general is cheaper than most other cars out there. Best bang for your buck!

Regarding best bang for your buck, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better car for less than $50k... You pretty much have to step up to a Vette, which is not even in the same price range.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Regarding best bang for your buck, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better car for less than $50k... You pretty much have to step up to a Vette, which is not even in the same price range.

you right there, that is the only other car I would go to. I have drove the other competition, the challenger and Camaro and the mustang was the best. I really liked the 392 challenger but its just a highway, straight line car. It had lots of room but I swear I still think the mustang was quicker than the 392. It was much quicker than the new Camaro. All were 6 speeds. The interior on the Camaro sucked, the buttons felt like they would fall off and you couldn't see out of it at all. I think the mustang is the best you can buy these days. Heck, the vette is like $60k plus isn't it.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
you right there, that is the only other car I would go to. I have drove the other competition, the challenger and Camaro and the mustang was the best. I really liked the 392 challenger but its just a highway, straight line car. It had lots of room but I swear I still think the mustang was quicker than the 392. It was much quicker than the new Camaro. All were 6 speeds. The interior on the Camaro sucked, the buttons felt like they would fall off and you couldn't see out of it at all. I think the mustang is the best you can buy these days. Heck, the vette is like $60k plus isn't it.

I think you can grab a C7 for like $55k or somewhere in that general area.. Don't quote me though. The mustang is definitely faster than the 392 cars.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #61
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
I think you can grab a C7 for like $55k or somewhere in that general area.. Don't quote me though. The mustang is definitely faster than the 392 cars.
I keep hearing and reading about the C7's "base" price being $51k, yet I have never actually seen one below $72K. I guess the dealers like to sell the dolled up versions.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Valvetrain issues are easily fixed with preventative maintenance. Almost all Z06s that dropped valves dropped them short of 10,000 miles, and it was only those built within a certain timeframe (I forget the dates, but before 2010 for sure). The valvetrain issues were caused by poor QA/QC on a sourced part that led to exceeding designated tolerances. It's really not that big of a deal. Especially because most people that buy a used $40,000 Z06 normally are gear heads that are going to do heads/cam immediately.

Im not sure where you got your information from. There are guys out there who bought brand new 2013 427 convertibles when they came out and they were dropping valves. If you don't believe me head over to the corvetteforum and read all about it.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im not sure where you got your information from. There are guys out there who bought brand new 2013 427 convertibles when they came out and they were dropping valves. If you don't believe me head over to the corvetteforum and read all about it.

That's where I got my info.

http://m.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-di...confirmed.html

I was wrong about the years, though. It went up to '11. I have not heard about '13 LS7s dropping valves--I will look into that.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's where I got my info.

GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed - Corvette Forum

I was wrong about the years, though. It went up to '11. I have not heard about '13 LS7s dropping valves--I will look into that.

I'll save you the searching:

Considering a 2013 427, ls7 issues resolved in them? - Corvette Forum

Bummed beyond belief - Corvette Forum

2013 427 motor issues - Corvette Forum
Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Titanium-coated rods grinding fines into the oil system... That's a new one for me. Still, most failures are happening shy of 5k miles, which is clearly well under warranty.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Titanium-coated rods grinding fines into the oil system... That's a new one for me. Still, most failures are happening shy of 5k miles, which is clearly well under warranty.

Which, is why I told the guy to make sure he got a newer model Z06 that was still under manufacturer's warranty....
Old 08-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Which, is why I told the guy to make sure he got a newer model Z06 that was still under manufacturer's warranty....

My point is more that if it's going to happen it typically happens early. Either low miles when it is under warranty, or you likely will not have to worry about it.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Depending on what options, LT 1, 2, 3, z51 package etc. A base LT 1 or 2, probably. But a 3 or z51 package is more around high 50s low 60s.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You can get a Base LT1 for low $50s but as soon as you add on that Z51 package (and you better) it bumps it up over $60 even for an LT1. What's really funny is that the New Z06 base (~$73k) is going to be less than a fully loaded LT4 Z51 (~$80k).
Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
It's mostly the demand mark up. Once the Z06 officially hits, those prices will drop.

Regardless, the Z06 is still the best performance bargain.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT