Seriously considering a 5.0 just have a few questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Seriously considering a 5.0 just have a few questions

Hi everyone,

I currently own a 99 corvette 4at.. Got an amazing deal on it at the time and convinced myself I could live with the automatic. Which is acutally really great considering any other auto I've driven.

Its got bolts on tune ect..very fun fast car BUT literally everything but the motor is junk. I feel like the car is rattling apart more and more everyday.

Also very unimpressed with the highspeed stability and feel.

I've always been a huge fan of 60/70's mustangs so obviously I really like the new ones. Just never felt the 315hp matched the price but now that the 5.0 is pushing over 400 I'm extremely interested. Especially since a used one is very reasonably priced and the build quality seems all around excellent. I really like the interior as well.

Just wondering how the daily driver qualities are and if the leadfoots and highway racers (going for top speed) are having frequent failures.. As I'm used to LS motors that can be beaten on as much as your heart desires.

I'll be making a switch with in the next few weeks.. and I'm becoming very impressed by the new 5.0's. I also like the fact that performance parts seem to be a little less.

Thanks for any info or reviews you could give me.
nvrfastenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I just picked up a 2014 GT. So far impressed. As a daily driver it took getting used to. I came from a 2012 Titan so room wise it was different. However, driveablity is fantastic. Cruising at 80 feels effortless - no issues with noise or steering etc. My 2nd day I opened her up on a long stretch and doing 120 felt like doing 80 - It was quite amusing.

So if you're used to space - the drive will beat that Vette, I guarantee.
20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If you are having issues with high speed stability and feel in your C5, I would recommend doing some maintenance to it.

Any decent C5 has excellent high speed stability and handling. More so than any Mustang has, yes, even the 13/14 GT500.

I can vouch for the interiors in C5's being utter crap. The 2014 Mustang's aren't honestly that much better.

My car (2014 Mustang Premium V6) is exactly 1 year old today and has 14,000 miles on it. It has rattles, clunks and squeals that, according to Ford are normal.

Also, if you decide you want a manual transmission, be prepared to get a pile of crap. I have had issues with the clutch pedal staying on the floor during aggressive driving, grinding of the gears when the temps are cold and occasional issues with the car not wanting to accelerate. Ford also claims these are normal. It's bad enough that I have asked them to buy back the car and they refuse to do so because every issue I have is "normal".

This is the first new car that I have bought in a long while and it will be the last Ford I buy for some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Well mine is smoooooth like butta!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBETTY13 View Post
Well mine is smoooooth like butta!

Mine too and I just beat the piss out of it at the track. Didn't get locked out of any gear, no depressed clutch, nothing. Car took the beating like a champ.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
I had an '86 C4 and '86 F250 at the same time once. Still have the truck, it handled much better than the 'Vette, especially on a wet road. I now have a, '11 and a '13 Mustang with 54k and 18K miles respectively. Bought both new and both have been flawless and wonderful to drive daily. No rattles, clunks or squeals from either. Each have tunes, ABs, CAIs an lower gears. While not exactly BMW/Mercedes interiors, they are decent and comfortable. So far they have been the best cars I've ever owned and are a lot of fun. I'm 62 and have owned quite a few.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
This really depends how you intend to drive it. For 95% of people who just putt around in the car, its fine. If you're a car enthusiast who intends to make modifications, race it, and other general shenanigans, then these cars definitely aren't perfect.

The drivetrain is a huge weak point overall. The clutch can stick to the floor and even sometimes not fully disengage causing gears to grind, the transmission has issues, the 2pc driveshaft sucks, and many of us with 3:73's having whining diffs that'll drive you mad on long highway trips. With stock suspension, you'll most likely experience wheel hop during hard acceleration from a dig.

Now, with that said - the majority of these things are fixable with upgraded suspension, aftermarket shifters and brackets, 1pc aluminum driveshaft, etc... The first week i had the car, i loved it.. then i started realizing its shortcomings and NEEDED to fix them to prevent them from driving me mad. Some of these things don't bother people though.
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote5o View Post
This really depends how you intend to drive it. For 95% of people who just putt around in the car, its fine. If you're a car enthusiast who intends to make modifications, race it, and other general shenanigans, then these cars definitely aren't perfect.

The drivetrain is a huge weak point overall. The clutch can stick to the floor and even sometimes not fully disengage causing gears to grind, the transmission has issues, the 2pc driveshaft sucks, and many of us with 3:73's having whining diffs that'll drive you mad on long highway trips. With stock suspension, you'll most likely experience wheel hop during hard acceleration from a dig.

Now, with that said - the majority of these things are fixable with upgraded suspension, aftermarket shifters and brackets, 1pc aluminum driveshaft, etc... The first week i had the car, i loved it.. then i started realizing its shortcomings and NEEDED to fix them to prevent them from driving me mad. Some of these things don't bother people though.

That 3.73 whine though...arghhh lol.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
That 3.73 whine though...arghhh lol.

It's terrible. Ford replaced my ring, pinion, bearing, and seals under warranty once. Resolved the issue until i installed all the suspension goodies. The noise came back and ford declined to replace it. It hasn't really gotten any worse in the past 5k miles so i attribute most of the noise to the additional NVH from all the poly bushings. I have some dynamat on the way that im going to install under the rear seat to see if it'll dilute the noise a bit. maybe throw some on the bottom of the car next time i have it in the air.

Not trying to talk anybody out of buying a new mustang - the engines are fantastic and theyre fun as hell to drive. They just require some modifications to make them perfect. The only remaining issues i have are the whining diff and I'm going to put a stainless clutch line with some Motul RFB600 to see if I can prevent the clutch issues. Blowfish Shifter bracket on the way as well which I'm super excited to try out
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Old 08-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I barely go on the highway, so I never really experience the whining. Went to the track the other night with the woman and the little girl and it drove me bonkers. Just put on Disney on pandora and couldn't hear crap lol. The car does have a lot of shortcomings though I agree. I bought the car in February and pretty much took care of the suspension. Next year it'll be some go fast mods.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

All said and done, it'll be about $5k in aftermarket parts until i consider it to be nearly perfect. The car will never be perfect in my mind with the mt-82. I'm currently in an internal debate whether to keep it or be a traitor (Corvette )
Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Lol 5k or more. I'm about 2k just on suspension components, and it's FAR from perfect. And I feel the same way seeing some C5/C6's running 10's and 11's sounding absolutely nasty doing it.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

By nearly perfect, I mean the way it should have been from the factory. I'm currently 24 and no wife/kids.. Now the time to make stupid decisions to buy a 2 seater ..

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
By nearly perfect, I mean the way it should have been from the factory. I'm currently 24 and no wife/kids.. Now the time to make stupid decisions to buy a 2 seater ..

Lol true story man, true story.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

31 and twins on the way didn't stop me!

20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

They are worth it. But 5k in mods is nothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Haha like I said 5k is to make it how it should have been from Ford

Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

All they need is a tune honestly.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

As much as I love my Mustang (not a GT, obviously), my Stepfather just bought a 2014 Z51 Package Black Vette. I fell in love with that thing, drove it around, soooo nice.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Haha like I said 5k is to make it how it should have been from Ford

Something just doesn't seem right that one can pay 35k for a 5.0 and it still needs a minimum 5k in freaking mods to be decent. *****, for the 41k combined one could of bought a freaking Boss 302.

Certainly not disagreing with you because I test drove a 2013 5.0 automatic and was not impressed at all. So no doubt it needs some mods starting with exhaust and performance tune. Not to mention some new tires that give traction and let's not forget some suspension mods so you don't spin tires all day.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Comparing a 1999 Corvette to a 2014 Mustang is retarded. Of course the Mustang is going to drive nicer, not only is it meant for daily driving but it is 15 years newer. And coming to a Ford site you already know what answers your going to get. Go over to LS1tech and you will get the opposite.

Also keep in mind going by strictly performance even though the Corvette is rated at 345 and the mustang is rated at 420 the Corvette would probable still win since its lightly and more aerodynamic.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said, for most purple they are perfectly fine as is. For me, they are not. I would never compare a mustang and a corvette because they're in different leagues - just saying I wouldn't mind upgrading to one

Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I said, for most purple they are perfectly fine as is. For me, they are not. I would never compare a mustang and a corvette because they're in different leagues - just saying I wouldn't mind upgrading to one

No all you do is build your car to take down the vettes you pull up to.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

That's fine for straight lines, but I prefer the twisties .

Old 08-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Seems like alot of people prefer turns now days. Me know.
I get enough of that in motocross ( been riding since I was 5 and racing since 6 )

Old 08-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have a four hour drive twice a month one way. I always take my Mustang. To me it's comfortable and makes for a great ride to Dallas. The F150 has more room etc. but not as much fun as the Stang and I find my car plenty comfortable for daily driving long trips.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Also keep in mind going by strictly performance even though the Corvette is rated at 345 and the mustang is rated at 420 the Corvette would probable still win since its lightly and more aerodynamic.
A stock non Z06 C5 is going to lose to a Coyote in the 1/4 and will not have an advantage until well into triple digits.
A Well driven Coyote is a good match for an LS2 C6 in the 1/4. Stock versus stock times are very similar. The Coyote will need mods to take on a stock LS3 C6.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

A stock c5 zo6 and an ls3 c6 run the same 1/4 mile time. Both are faster than a stock Coyote.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

And the 2014 5.0 is how much? Compared to a 2014 corvette. Heck if I add 10,000 in mods it's still cheaper.

69mach1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

A c5 zo6 and ls3 vette can be bought for around 20-25k

Old 08-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Not a 2014

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

I said 2014 mustang and 2014 corvette

Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

There's no such thing as a 2014 c5 zo6.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I don't know corvettes I'm mustang all the way your one of them that jump from one make to the other

Old 08-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Still your comparing a car that when new is a lot cheaper then the other that's my point

Old 08-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I like buying whatever car gives me the best performance for my money.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT