Opinions ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Opinions ?

The 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Fakes Its Engine Noise

RIP American muscle for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
The 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Fakes Its Engine Noise

RIP American muscle for me...

It's pretty sad.

Just build badass cars and you don't have to fake anything or try to fool people.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The 5.0 is badass and it fakes the sound. Some of the electric super cars are going to wind up faking the sound. It goes with the technology.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Again, before you post make sure you know what your talking about. It is NOT fake sound. It is simple enhancing the noise that the 4 cylinder engine already produces. Exact same thing as the current 13-14 GT's sound tube.

I swear the way the 15 haters make it sound they make it sound like an eco boost is going to sound like a V8 when you drive it due to 'sound effects' from the speakers. That is NOT the case. All it is doing is simple enhancing the sound that the current engine already makes. And Ford isnt the first/ only company to do this. I know for a fact BMW does this as well.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Having engine sound come through the speakers is not enhancing, it's faking it.
I don't like the idea of a sound tube either, but at least it's real engine noise.
Just put on badass axle backs. Problem solved.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #6
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Again, before you post make sure you know what your talking about. It is NOT fake sound. It is simple enhancing the noise that the 4 cylinder engine already produces. Exact same thing as the current 13-14 GT's sound tube.

I swear the way the 15 haters make it sound they make it sound like an eco boost is going to sound like a V8 when you drive it due to 'sound effects' from the speakers. That is NOT the case. All it is doing is simple enhancing the sound that the current engine already makes. And Ford isnt the first/ only company to do this. I know for a fact BMW does this as well.
Technically it is a fake sound as the audio system is simply creating a tone of what the engine "should" sound like based off of what rpm the engine is at. This is a range of tones that the engineers choose, so who's to know exactly how accurate it is as they could have tweaked it to be slightly deeper because they feel a deep, aggressive tone is popular with the Mustang. It doesn't actually take the real-time sounds of the engine and amplify or enhance them. You can see what I'm talking about in this video from COBB working on their tune/map switching feature with the engine off.

http://youtu.be/_Kpq9rxDyPA
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I agree...it is not the REAL sound of the engine, no matter if you enhance it or completely playback from a recording...who cares if BMW does it ? Thank God I don;t have to buy a BMW...I cannot stand them. Tiny engines strangled to get power that sound like mopeds...

I test drove the EcoBoost yesterday...and in fact it feels like a BMW...precise, smooth, soft, perfectly responsive, silent...cold, frigid, not personable...

If we have been buying Mustang for 50 years it is because it is MUSCLE, RAW, GRITTY, NON-PERFECT and behaves like a horse...a living being you need to be on top of, sometimes fight and that it doesn't do 101% of what you want it to all the time and doesn't feel like it's satellite driven...

The mustang has lost its muscle...RIP.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

...and by the way, FORD's intention of "copying" BMW and AUDI to open the Euro market doesn;t take into account a very simple thing...those cars weigh almost HALF what the Mustang does...which increased in weight in 2015 instead of decreasing.

...a 4 cylinder engine producing that kind of torque on such a heavy vehicle is choked like hell and although time will tell, most expert tuners I have spoken to say they feel there will be many issues with the EcoBoost, not so much because of the 4 cylinder per se, but because it is a small displacement 4 cylinder on such a heavy car....
Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Opinions ?

Are you guys *****ing about this because you need something to ***** about, or do you actually have any valid arguments to support the hatred?

Just saying. All this american muscle is dead non sense... Is american muscle ONLY about whether sound is 'faked' through or speaker or not?

Step back and look at what you're *****ing about for a second to dismiss an entire culture... Lmao.

It's called moving forward. Adapt to technology.

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I think complaining about the weight gain is valid, especially after they said 400 lbs lighter.
Putting a small turbo 4 on a heavy car is also a valid gripe.
Are you saying that fake engine sound is technology we should embrace? I don't understand you're argument.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
I think complaining about the weight gain is valid, especially after they said 400 lbs lighter.
Putting a small turbo 4 on a heavy car is also a valid gripe.
Are you saying that fake engine sound is technology we should embrace? I don't understand you're argument.

It comes down to if you don't like it then don't buy it. I can see voicing opinions on the 15's as that is the point of the forum. But some people go out of their way to continuously rant about the same things regarding the 15's. And its been a few months so its not like its going to change. Regarding the sound its called embracing technology and being competitive with the competition. If what a 'muscle car' should be stayed the same then sales would be horrible. I mean talk to people around in the 60's and 70's and they will tell you that real muscle cars shouldn't have power seats, navigation, heated/cooled seats, etc.

But based on the responses you can tell the 'car guys' from the 'mustang guys'. I love cars period, and I buy the best car for the price period. If Hyundai make a sports car that performed I'd have no problem driving a Hyundai. But its clear some guys consider themselves 'mustang guys' and regardless of what Ford does they will buy a Mustang. They may b**** and complain about what ford does but they openly admit that they will buy regardless. Makes no sense to me but I guess it is what it is. I personally love GM's and have always be GM guy based on the performance aspect of the LT/LS engines. But I wanted a 'newer' car and was looking at the V6 mustangs and camaros and overall felt that the Mustang drove better and was overall a better car so I bought my first Ford.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:46 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
It's pretty sad.

Just build badass cars and you don't have to fake anything or try to fool people.

If the piped in sound does not float your boat, then buy the V6 or V8 version. If sales drop on the faked sound of the turbo 4, Ford will get the message, and make a change.

I doubt it though; this turbo 4 is targeted to sell largely in Europe; the folks over there love their turbo 4 performance as much as us Americans love our V6 and V8 displacement engines.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I can understand all of the arguments for (awesome vs. ugly) concerning the front, the side, the rear end, a turbo 4, selling in europe, IRS, etc.
But, defending fake sound is really pitiful!
How can you call that technology, that's a video game.
No self-respecting "car" guy would defend fake engine sounds.
Being upset that some people find a lot of issues with the 15 is as bad as the people who find absolutely no flaws with the car.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Uh...lol

The cars audio makes sounds based on RPM. Pulling the radio fuse disables it, and one can play just these tones.

Like if every time you broke the speed limit police sirens played over your stereo.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
But, defending fake sound is really pitiful!
It's not defending the actual technology, it's more of an argument against the people who are dismissing the entire 'muscle car' era based on a FOUR CYLINDER vehicle. It's as if those people forgot that there are still the V8 and V6 models out there. If you want your car to stay around and continue to be profitable, why wouldn't you be happy that Ford is trying to capture a larger audience? Based on their strategic planning, they believe the 4 cylinder will help boost sales which in turn will allow them to continue to innovate and make your V8s bigger and badder every year.

So, basically... my point is... why are people who consider themselves diehard muscle car fans even considering an option like the ecoboost? You're looking at an entirely DIFFERENT market and comparing it to your own V8 market. That's apples and oranges.

(Note: I am not trying to put anyone down or say someone is better than someone else, I am just wanting to form a friendly debate)
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Uh...lol

The cars audio makes sounds based on RPM. Pulling the radio fuse disables it, and one can play just these tones.

Like if every time you broke the speed limit police sirens played over your stereo.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Did you read the article? If not see below. Again, everyone is making it sound like they added V8 sound effects to the ecoboost which isn't the case. It's the exact same concept as a muffler. A variety of mufflers can 'change' the sound of the engine but it still sounds like the engine. If everyone hates technology so much they should go buy cars from the 60's or 70's. And honestly I doubt you will be able to tell that the sound is coming from the speakers anyways.

I can't wait for ecoboost cars to add 1 k in mods and start killing V6 cars with their 'fake' sound And honestly, these ecoboost cars are going to sell great in the US as well as Europe because its filling a void that no other automaker has which is a moderately priced turbo sports car. I mean really the only other ones are the WRX and evo which are both more expensive the the ecoboost.

"With the Ecoboost engine we have both active noise cancellation, and we also amplify the existing engine sound order. We don't create an artificial sound, we don't pluck one off the shelf, we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car's speakers. Today's V6 sounds fantastic, and although the Ecoboost won't sound like a V8, it won't sound like it doesn't belong in a Mustang either."
Old 10-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Double Post
Old 10-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A month ago, when it was new, I read it. And then I reread it before I read this thread, and posted.

Did you?

"layering in certain sound characteristics on top of what's already there"

"On top" sounds an awful lot like ADDING WHAT'S NOT THERE.

I don't care either way. I am disappointed one can't turn it off, at least to see what it would be like if they purchased a new radio to replace the factory one, but I won't be buying a 2015, and I imagine it will be an option by 2017/18.

I can't find the article now, but there was one with the specific tones at each RPM set that it changes. Such as 1-2k, this, 2-3k, that, 3-4k, the other, so on. I don't think it's much of a big deal, but it does add sound that is not there- not just porting it through the stereo. Unless the Ford employee who designed it mispoke, but in the quote of what he said to Jalopnik, they ADD sound.

(I care more about what it sounds like outside, hearing it with the windows down and through a tunnel or off the side of a building/mountain, NOT what my speakers do.)

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 10-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Man I'm just saying what I hear from some of the best mustang tuners on the West Coast...

Old 10-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Opinions ?

starzTA17...no it's not complaining for the sake of complaining, it's being passionate about the stang, its lifestyle and identity, and not wanting to see it denatured! Moreover, ford just basically gave all of us muscle car and mustang faithfuls a big middle finger to the advantage of neo Euro buyers...that's what is happening. Watch the V6 get phased out completely within 2 years maximum I bet. So it's gonna be either a super expensive V8, or a ****ty *** 4 banger...or no mustang for you.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Opinions ?

-
Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Grom-

Unfortunately in EU most countries tax based on engine size rather than FE. So a V10 that got 100 MPG would see more cost than a 10 MPG 4 banger.

(Though each country is different, and some base off of cubic inches, or liters. Taxes may very based on CO2 emissions, also- not just MPG like here, and either yes or no (gas guzzler tax).)

I am glad the T4 is on par performance wise with the 6, and it should be great to modify, it's just a bummer this 3.7 is going and not being built upon. At the end of the day, Ford is a company and if we want Mustangs in 2050, we might have to settle with an all wheel drive hybrid 450 HP base model getting 50 MPG. (My point being things change, and it's easier to go with/be ahead of the times than fall behind and die.)

Old 10-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #23

Posted this in the other, but here is an actual comparison of stock vs natural sound.

Cades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quite different...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT