Ford possibly replacing the 5.0 in 2016??? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My wife's 2014 1.5 Eco fusion is great for a fairly large car by today's standards, its no race car but fully loaded with 3 adults and 2 kids with 2 hockey bags, it has absolutely no problems passing cars while getting fantastic Mpgs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Honestly though if I going to drive a 4 banger I at least want to take advantage of the HP/weight ratio. I'd rather have a F/I Focus than an Ecoboost Mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-31-2015, 04:58 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
Honestly though if I going to drive a 4 banger I at least want to take advantage of the HP/weight ratio. I'd rather have a F/I Focus than an Ecoboost Mustang.

?
The Mustang is 1k more, has 52 more horsepower and 50 more torques (at same RPMs), and only weighs 300 lbs more.

Less than 10% more weight, more than 10% more horsepower. I'd take the Mustang.

Source: http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimC...,USC50FOC051B0

Sent from my XT1094 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 05:47 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
?
The Mustang is 1k more, has 52 more horsepower and 50 more torques (at same RPMs), and only weighs 300 lbs more.

Less than 10% more weight, more than 10% more horsepower. I'd take the Mustang.

Source: http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimC...,USC50FOC051B0

Have you driven the ecoboost 4? If you haven't you need to. The one I drove felt like a old Volkswagen. Engine was thrashy and did not feel like 300hp.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
Have you driven the ecoboost 4? If you haven't you need to. The one I drove felt like a old Volkswagen. Engine was thrashy and did not feel like 300hp.

Yes. Engine was fine to me, the disturbing part was the slush box between the front seats. That automatic is just tragic. Last gen, 11-14, Ford said there was no paddle option because they couldn't get it up to their standards. If this is acceptable to them, I can not fathom what the last one was like. Other than that, the 4 (and car as a whole) ranged from acceptable to excellent. The exhaust was non existent, my .996 three cylinder Insights have a louder exhaust (not really, they are about the same- I just like saying that).

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 02-01-2015, 04:42 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes. Engine was fine to me, the disturbing part was the slush box between the front seats. That automatic is just tragic. Last gen, 11-14, Ford said there was no paddle option because they couldn't get it up to their standards. If this is acceptable to them, I can not fathom what the last one was like. Other than that, the 4 (and car as a whole) ranged from acceptable to excellent. The exhaust was non existent, my .996 three cylinder Insights have a louder exhaust (not really, they are about the same- I just like saying that).

Yeah the transmission was horrible as well. I did like the GT though but I'm going to wait until the Mach 1 comes out before I consider getting one.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Its still that bad? I thought they would have tried to fix it this time around. Before I bought my 13 manual I took out a 13 auto and thought the slush box shifted really laggy and remembering leaving the dealer quite disappointed about the transmissions performance. All the auto guys say a tune helped fix the problem, hopefully this holds true to the 15s also.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Its still that bad? I thought they would have tried to fix it this time around. Before I bought my 13 manual I took out a 13 auto and thought the slush box shifted really laggy and remembering leaving the dealer quite disappointed about the transmissions performance. All the auto guys say a tune helped fix the problem, hopefully this holds true to the 15s also.

Honestly, it is like watching a 10 year old play Gran Turismo with the car set to manual.

Let me clarify- I had no issue with the auto transmission. I think lowly of them. In my opinion, it is for someone who A) buys it for the dragstrip, B) doesn't care about driving and just bought a car, or C) has a situation that limits driving a manual. To be clear, I don't think less of any of those people- I just have low expectations of the auto.

So shifting, and driving, it had no issue. It didn't clunk, make weird noises, or do anything strange. What was TERRIBLE was the paddle shifting. [Before knowing what a tune will do to it ] I think it would be better off without the paddles. It is slow, doesn't do what I want anywhere around the time I want it to do it, and has no real settings. Now I completely get the fact that it has to be made for stupid people. In a mass produced car, they are catering to people who have 25k. Not to people who are buying a McLaren, or Porsche, who should have some sense of what to do. So I get more strict limits.

However, the Buick Regal Turbo I drove (auto), was exceptional. Still issues, like it wouldn't go under 1300 RPMs, and if it wasn't 100% full throttle it would shift up early, but it was faster, more lively and brisk. I've never driven an F1 derived system, but the shifts were swift, and one could feel it grabbing. The Mustang, not so much.

Me: *pull paddle*
Mustang: huh? Did you say some- oh, shift, hold on...*gentle shifting*
Me: are you %-$-$-$+$-#&"63;$9 me!

I was very quickly very angry. I still tried to use it, but it was like your relative with an unruly dog. You can deal with going to walk it a few times while they are on holiday, but living with such a stupid beast may give you a brain aneurism.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly, it is like watching a 10 year old play Gran Turismo with the car set to manual.

Let me clarify- I had no issue with the auto transmission. I think lowly of them. In my opinion, it is for someone who A) buys it for the dragstrip, B) doesn't care about driving and just bought a car, or C) has a situation that limits driving a manual. To be clear, I don't think less of any of those people- I just have low expectations of the auto.

So shifting, and driving, it had no issue. It didn't clunk, make weird noises, or do anything strange. What was TERRIBLE was the paddle shifting. [Before knowing what a tune will do to it ] I think it would be better off without the paddles. It is slow, doesn't do what I want anywhere around the time I want it to do it, and has no real settings. Now I completely get the fact that it has to be made for stupid people. In a mass produced car, they are catering to people who have 25k. Not to people who are buying a McLaren, or Porsche, who should have some sense of what to do. So I get more strict limits.

However, the Buick Regal Turbo I drove (auto), was exceptional. Still issues, like it wouldn't go under 1300 RPMs, and if it wasn't 100% full throttle it would shift up early, but it was faster, more lively and brisk. I've never driven an F1 derived system, but the shifts were swift, and one could feel it grabbing. The Mustang, not so much.

Me: *pull paddle*
Mustang: huh? Did you say some- oh, shift, hold on...*gentle shifting*
Me: are you %-$-$-$+$-#&"63;$9 me!

I was very quickly very angry. I still tried to use it, but it was like your relative with an unruly dog. You can deal with going to walk it a few times while they are on holiday, but living with such a stupid beast may give you a brain aneurism.

+1, select shift was laggy in the 13 auto also which is kinda like having paddle shifters. Ford makes a very good auto, but I'd like to see the shifts a little firmer, but I realise they tune it for the masses and not for the track.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A tune is the only way to go for the automatic. The factory shifts in the auto are sucky. Its a whole different car tuned.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

When I drove the 12s and 13s (they only ever had autos, my standard came from 273 miles away), the autos seemed okay for daily driving. I didn't use that push button thing at all, though. I just wonder if the paddles on 15+s will be fixed with a tune.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
A tune is the only way to go for the automatic. The factory shifts in the auto are sucky. Its a whole different car tuned.
If I get an auto I'd be tuning it in the dealers parking lot just after i signed the paper work lol.

The biggest selling point for getting a manual for me was my wife can't and won't drive stick!

Old 02-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If I get an auto I'd be tuning it in the dealers parking lot just after i signed the paper work lol.

The biggest selling point for getting a manual for me was my wife can't and won't drive stick!

Bro trust me don't get an auto if you're a stick guy. Sure its more convenient to drive as a DD, but its a no substitute for fun factor associated with a manual! My 5.0 is tuned, and I still hate how it responds to gas - the second I let go off throttle (during a spirited run) in case something is in front of me, it upshifts. Back to square 1. Just pure annoyance.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
ford you hurt me again we will have issues! just picked up my 15 today. I picked up a 2010 in 09 and then you changed on me to a 5.0. you do this again I am going to lose it
Old 02-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #85
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Why not? It won't replace long distance hauling diesels but for the average dude who commutes. Damn skippy it is.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

No it won't. I hurt my foot last week, so now I park my car right near house instead of under metal canopy (not that much farther away, but who wants to walk farther than needed with a bum foot).

If I had my charger setup wired to canopy, I would have to run ext cord over to spot parked now. Then we get a foot of snow and I have to plow, but can't because cord in under snow somewhere. Can't pull cord out, as it rained 3 hours before it snowed and cord is frozen to ground.

This and 1000 other scenarios making electric a royal PIA are not stuff I would dream up, this is real day to day stuff most electric lovers have not even thought about yet.

And NO V-8, no more new mustang for me ever again. I also have an EVO 8 and would consider a new focus RS to replace it, but that is a totally different animal.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #86
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I personally don't think this will happen anytime soon. I think it's possible maybe 10 or more years down the road. Ford usually does a good job at making cars that sell, even if scuttlebutt on the social networks says different. It will all depend on the sales.

IG: @azurebluemach
Old 02-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #87
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
No it won't. I hurt my foot last week, so now I park my car right near house instead of under metal canopy (not that much farther away, but who wants to walk farther than needed with a bum foot).

If I had my charger setup wired to canopy, I would have to run ext cord over to spot parked now. Then we get a foot of snow and I have to plow, but can't because cord in under snow somewhere. Can't pull cord out, as it rained 3 hours before it snowed and cord is frozen to ground.

This and 1000 other scenarios making electric a royal PIA are not stuff I would dream up, this is real day to day stuff most electric lovers have not even thought about yet.

And NO V-8, no more new mustang for me ever again. I also have an EVO 8 and would consider a new focus RS to replace it, but that is a totally different animal.
Except you won't have to have a charger at your house. Get an electric up to a 400+ mile range (Tesla is getting close to that now) and rapid charge capability, you just charge it up at a charging station in 10 minutes on the way home or if solar panel parking lots/garages take off like they should you just have it charged at work.

What you are saying about a cord from your house is akin to having to have a fuel line going from your house to your gas motor vehicle. You don't do it now, why would you do it with a high tech electric?

I do understand where you are coming from with current vehicles that are out now, but give it 10-20 years and yeah, I can see electric being a very big chunk of the market.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Ford possibly replacing the 5.0 in 2016???

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Except you won't have to have a charger at your house. Get an electric up to a 400+ mile range (Tesla is getting close to that now) and rapid charge capability, you just charge it up at a charging station in 10 minutes on the way home or if solar panel parking lots/garages take off like they should you just have it charged at work.

I do understand where you are coming from with current vehicles that are out now, but give it 10-20 years and yeah, I can see electric being a very big chunk of the market.

It'll be 20-30 years and only in big cities. There are no charging stations on the way home and won't be for a long time.

The best they'll do is commuters for work or school. 400 mile range isn't cranking a big radio, AC or even heat. Those items kill a battery fast. Electricity is a byproduct of a gas engine.

Cost is always an issue. You could buy 2 Mustang GT premiums for a Tesla.

Hybrids are more practical, but still too expensive and butt ugly.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:11 AM   #89
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
It'll be 20-30 years and only in big cities. There are no charging stations on the way home and won't be for a long time.

The best they'll do is commuters for work or school. 400 mile range isn't cranking a big radio, AC or even heat. Those items kill a battery fast. Electricity is a byproduct of a gas engine.

A hybrid can look like anything. It doesn't say in the description of it "ugly". Who knows they might make a hybrid Mustang.

And lately the technology of electric cars has slowed down a bit because of the cost of gasoline going down and people going to that more. When it rises again the development of electric cars will be well on its way again. Look at how far we came with cell phones in a matter of years, and also computers. I have no doubt that in 10 years hybrids or electric cars will have a solid place in the market.

As much as i love American fuel burning V8s, the way of electric cars is going to be a real business changer.

I see Teslas all the time, and charging stations everywhere; I can't leave my college campus and go a mile down the road to Safeway without seeing at least a Tesla on the way. Granted i'm almost right in the middle of where it all started (Silicon Valley).

Like anything, the technology starts off slow and expensive, but once the foot is in the door it spreads like a wild fire. Hell, some Tesla representatives came to my college for recruiting.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Old 02-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
A hybrid can look like anything. It doesn't say in the description of it "ugly". Who knows they might make a hybrid Mustang.

And lately the technology of electric cars has slowed down a bit because of the cost of gasoline going down and people going to that more. When it rises again the development of electric cars will be well on its way again. Look at how far we came with cell phones in a matter of years, and also computers. I have no doubt that in 10 years hybrids or electric cars will have a solid place in the market.

As much as i love American fuel burning V8s, the way of electric cars is going to be a real business changer.

I see Teslas all the time, and charging stations everywhere; I can't leave my college campus and go a mile down the road to Safeway without seeing at least a Tesla on the way. Granted i'm almost right in the middle of where it all started (Silicon Valley).

Like anything, the technology starts off slow and expensive, but once the foot is in the door it spreads like a wild fire. Hell, some Tesla representatives came to my college for recruiting.
+1. You have made some great points.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The whole problem with changing fuel sources is distribution. Gas is available everywhere. You're in the middle of it and have charging stations everywhere. Get out of California and look for charging stations everywhere. Currently the power grid couldn't handle everyone driving an electric car.
I see Ferraris and Porches on the road, that doesn't make them affordable for most people. When are you getting a Tesla?
You're mixing hybrids and electric cars. Very different. Electric cars are done when the battery runs out, just like cell phones. Hybrids make more sense because you aren't stranded when the battery dies. And of course they can make better looking hybrids, I'm sure they will offer a mustang hybrid one day.
They have made huge leaps in technology regarding gas engines in the last fifteen years also.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

I don't think any of these Hybrids are Ugly!.. 😜Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423235602.438754.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	174975Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423235625.322129.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	174976Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423235642.105065.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	174977

Old 02-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #93
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
The whole problem with changing fuel sources is distribution. Gas is available everywhere. You're in the middle of it and have charging stations everywhere. Get out of California and look for charging stations everywhere. Currently the power grid couldn't handle everyone driving an electric car.
I see Ferraris and Porches on the road, that doesn't make them affordable for most people. When are you getting a Tesla?
You're mixing hybrids and electric cars. Very different. Electric cars are done when the battery runs out, just like cell phones. Hybrids make more sense because you aren't stranded when the battery dies. And of course they can make better looking hybrids, I'm sure they will offer a mustang hybrid one day.
They have made huge leaps in technology regarding gas engines in the last fifteen years also.

I think most seem ugly to you because they wern't really designed for your demograph. As more and more are made and prices come down, more companies will design them and more will be designed to suit a wider veriety of peeps out there.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #94
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

Ferraris and Porsches aren't meant to be affordable to everyone. They want them to be exclusive. Tesla is designing a more market friendly vehicle though.

And the comment about electric cars being done when the battery runs out... Gasoline cars are done when you run out of gas, same exact concept.

I'm just saying technology has amazed us in the last 10 years, I'm sure it'll amaze us again in the next 10.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 02-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ferraris and Porsches aren't meant to be affordable to everyone. They want them to be exclusive. Tesla is designing a more market friendly vehicle though.

And the comment about electric cars being done when the battery runs out... Gasoline cars are done when you run out of gas, same exact concept.

I'm just saying technology has amazed us in the last 10 years, I'm sure it'll amaze us again in the next 10.

Ok so $70k-100k is very market friendly for a Tesla.

When you run out of gas, you can go get a gallon of gas to get going again to a gas station. Charging a car on the side of the road is not as simple.

Technology is amazing. When the Prius came out, people were saying that everyone would be driving those and the gas engine was dead. I'm just saying it's going to take a long time.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I don't think any of these Hybrids are Ugly!.. 😜Attachment 174975Attachment 174976Attachment 174977

These look really inexpensive and most could pick up one or two.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #97
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Ok so $70k-100k is very market friendly for a Tesla. .

The one they are working on will be in the $3x,000 range

HID end all thread
Old 02-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

That would be a big deal. You still have to deal with long distance, but it's a good start for big cities. They seem well built, they have a store in a nearby mall, with a car and all the tech info.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #99
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
That would be a big deal. You still have to deal with long distance, but it's a good start for big cities. They seem well built, they have a store in a nearby mall, with a car and all the tech info.

There is rumor about easily replaceable batteries. I don't know how much truth there is. But imagine having 400 miles on a battery, running out and then just swapping it out in 30 seconds for another battery with 400 miles. And then have others at home charging, would make waiting around for fuel or charging a thing in the past.

HID end all thread
Old 02-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
There is rumor about easily replaceable batteries. I don't know how much truth there is. But imagine having 400 miles on a battery, running out and then just swapping it out in 30 seconds for another battery with 400 miles. And then have others at home charging, would make waiting around for fuel or charging a thing in the past.

Ya but imagining your electric bill after constantly charging batteries!.. 😁

Old 02-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #101
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Ya but imagining your electric bill after constantly charging batteries!.. 😁

Imagine your gas bills also, nonexistent!!!

They will probably offset each other.

HID end all thread
Old 02-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #102
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota

I'm only 32 but call me old fashioned. I won't drive one of these pos battery cars if my life depended on it. Maybe my family's life, but not mine. It's not the same driving experience. I hope a ton of people use them though as it will increase the amount of fossil fuels I can use. I love how the country likes to preach self-sustainability while at the same time penalizing the people that make the investment to do so. You want to have solar panels to run your house? Well that's cool and all, but you now still get to pay a fee for being self-sufficient (greedy electric companies). Sorry about the ranting, but electric cars are just another tool to attempt to transition into another leeching form of government payment.

And what about the driving experience isn't the same? All you don't get is the sound. Electric motors put out instant torque. No need to build power. Not all electric cars are like the Prius. Look at the Tesla, and even the McLaren P1.

It's the way of technology. Lots of people didn't like other technology, but over time it will take over and you will have to adapt.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
I'm only 32 but call me old fashioned. I won't drive one of these pos battery cars if my life depended on it. Maybe my family's life, but not mine. It's not the same driving experience and all of the environmentalists can suck a dick because it's just as bad for the environment. I hope a ton of people use them though as it will increase the amount of fossil fuels I can use. I love how the country likes to preach self-sustainability while at the same time penalizing the people that make the investment to do so. You want to have solar panels to run your house? Well that's cool and all, but you now still get to pay a fee for being self-sufficient (greedy electric companies). Sorry about the ranting, but electric cars are just another tool to attempt to transition into another leeching form of government payment.
Wow lol.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah well the way things are looking in the world now in 20-30 years there won't be a power grid to charge the cars anyway. After the entire world economy topples the post apocalyptic landscape will look like a Mad Max movie. So stock up on ammo and steel plate to armor your Mustang!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #105
Lorraine's driver

Regular

These threads seem to end up being just like the "why do the V8 guys hate on my V6". Lol we should just delete these too.

Why are all the "I hate government" people on the Internet? Shouldn't they be at the voting station trying to make change happen?

Sorry but same old same old

IG: @azurebluemach

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT