Convince me to buy a 2015 Mustang GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Convince me to buy a 2015 Mustang GT

Hello everyone. I come before all of you with a few questions, with my goal of being convinced to go ahead and buy a S550 GT Mustang. Hopefully I can explain my concerns and why I'm still on the fence about this.

Owning two Mustangs previously (both were my daily drivers) I loved them both, but the two big problems I had with them I would expect to have with this car:

1) Extreme inclement weather (snow)
2) Tracking dirt inside and destroying the interior
3) Losing practicality and rear seats

I am a Steamfitter (apprentice for the time being), which usually requires me to travel some lengthly distances each day to get to work, depending on where the job site is. Although I don't usually get incredibly dirty, I still manage to track mud and dirt when getting into my car. That being said, I have narrowed down my concerns and issues:

1) If it snows, I may still have to travel to work. With a 435HP rear wheel drive car, I don't see that being feasible, leaving me stranded at home with no real alternative

2) I don't want to get the inside dirty and end up destroying the car's interior. Though I am meticulous, I still see this happening (all-weather floor mats could cure this?)

3) I have a 2014 Focus ST now, and the combined practicality of having 5 seats and a hatchback-sized trunk area is incredibly practical and useful. With a Mustang, despite now having sizeable trunks, I'd lose the back seat (which I know are extremely tight in these new ones and with my driving position, pretty much pointless).

My original idea was to trade my ST for the new Focus RS that will be coming in the next year or so, and then buying an 04 GT or Mach 1 as my side car (my favorite generation/year). However, the more I see these Mustangs, the more I fall in love with them and really want one. If I can get past these 3 issues somehow, I will not hesitate to go buy one. So I ask all of you to help me get around these problems.

Thank you.
-TheJigShow

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow View Post
Hello everyone. I come before all of you with a few questions, with my goal of being convinced to go ahead and buy a S550 GT Mustang. Hopefully I can explain my concerns and why I'm still on the fence about this.

Owning two Mustangs previously (both were my daily drivers) I loved them both, but the two big problems I had with them I would expect to have with this car:

I am a Steamfitter (apprentice for the time being), which usually requires me to travel some lengthly distances each day to get to work, depending on where the job site is. Although I don't usually get incredibly dirty, I still manage to track mud and dirt when getting into my car. That being said, I have narrowed down my concerns and issues:

1) If it snows, I may still have to travel to work. With a 435HP rear wheel drive car, I don't see that being feasible, leaving me stranded at home with no real alternative

2) I don't want to get the inside dirty and end up destroying the car's interior. Though I am meticulous, I still see this happening (all-weather floor mats could cure this?)

3) I have a 2014 Focus ST now, and the combined practicality of having 5 seats and a hatchback-sized trunk area is incredibly practical and useful. With a Mustang, despite now having sizeable trunks, I'd lose the back seat (which I know are extremely tight in these new ones and with my driving position, pretty much pointless).

My original idea was to trade my ST for the new Focus RS that will be coming in the next year or so, and then buying an 04 GT or Mach 1 as my side car (my favorite generation/year). However, the more I see these Mustangs, the more I fall in love with them and really want one. If I can get past these 3 issues somehow, I will not hesitate to go buy one. So I ask all of you to help me get around these problems.

Thank you.
-TheJigShow

Given your work/daily routine and your concerns around it, I'd suggest you keep your focus and use it for work. If cash is not a problem, get your 15 GT as a weekend toy if you can afford it.

Ps: 435hp rwd car wouldn't be a problem in snow if you have a set of good winter tires. Just go easy on throttle.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:46 AM   #3

Iv had the 2015 gt performace pkg for a week and just came out of a 2014 gt track pack. I drove the 2014 through boston winter for two years. The car was actually really good for a rear drive sports car. However you have to be willing to put bridgestone blizzak tires on all four wheels or comprable snow tire. I am a cop who had to deal with crownvics in snow. My mustang with 4 snow tires is better than my crownvic. I also put 150lbs of sand in the trunk to. Wouldnt attempt any deep snow but as long as there are plows out u will be ok. The new 2015 has a snow mode which kills torque and pretty much most of the power of the engine throttle response is also lost in this mode. I can see this mode really helping out in snow but havent had the opportunity to test it in snow yet.
As far as dirt goes get some cheesie seat covers and take them off when ur not working. Get some rubber floor mats weathertech are great and u will be fine. Back seat unfortunately is worse and less usable in the 2015. The roofline is swept back at a greater angle. Im 5ft5in and my head hits the glass in the back seat. I did fit fine in the 2014.
This car is in every way better than the last generation in my opinion. Im glad a deer took out my 2014! Never thought id be glad about that one.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
kraus164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Mustangs are better as "side cars" I would not want to daily drive in it. That would also depend on where you are driving also. my commute goes into DC or Baltimore and I feel much better with my Mustang tucked away in the garage.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Thank you.
-TheJigShow

Your post reminds me of those email scams that goes:

Dear Sir/Madaam, I am writing to you with the intention of getting you to take $80 million dollars from me because my job as a _____ allows me access. I have three problems... etc...

Sounds to me you're asking us to ok an otherwise impractical decision on your part to purchase a Mustang.

Everything you suggested really points to you purchasing a four wheel drive four door sedan or an SUV or truck.

Would you have a blast driving a mustang? Sure. Would you have a wild *** night blowing $5,000 at a strip club? Sure. Should you? Probably not according to your own concerns.

Whatever your decision good luck. Lol

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
1) You need a back up car.
Thats a 20-40k car youre about to chance driving in snow.
2) Clean every week. Get floor mats but every car gets dirty.
3) You can keep the back seats in.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I drive my 11 year round, no snows, no weight in the back, just good tire tread (mind you I live in the northeast) I even drove mine in the blizzard to get to work etc. Traction control does what its supposed to and as long as you drive like a normal person I do not see the 15 driving any different, if anything it should be better with the IRS in snow.

However people are not all equal so depending on your driving skills etc ymmv. I wash my car weekly and sometimes twice a week in the winter (its like 10 bucks).

The backseat is only marginally smaller than the 14 or earlier coupe. the convertible has better head room, always has, for one its a design issue the top has to safely clear passengers heads so Ford has to give more clearance for it than the fast back.

Now like the above poster stated you have already pointed out the items you believe you cannot deal with and want us to justify or explain them away and that is not something we can do for you.

Your best bet, go test drive em and make your own decisions. There are always ways to swing it if you really wanted to buy one, weathertech floor mats, snow tires, and a rag top, selectable drive modes such as snow/wet would change things like steering response, traction controls, abs controls, and engine power and throttle for bad weather, all these would however help with your questions.

but it sounds like you have a good primary vehicle so this would really better suit you as a weekend warrior car or spring/summer car only.
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Jig,

I would wait a few years till you save up enough and can afford 2 vehicles (car and truck) make sure however the rest of your $ is in order 1st (home/savings/wife/kids) a few years of savings/delayed gratification is best in the long run. idk how old you are but I waited till I could afford a fun car and for me it was worth it.

.02 worth of advice.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Always makes me lol when I see people mentioning the hp for snow. You guys do realize you control said power right? Further u push the pedal the worse it's gonna spin. They being said, sounds like you need to get a winter beater or something for when the weather is extreme and drive the Mustang any other time. I know plenty of ppl who dd their Mustang, camaro etc in the Chicagoland winters here but have a beater with a heater for the couple weeks a year we get when we get hammered with snow. Any other time even mild snow they drive then sports car. Drove rwd sports cars all year around for years in my younger days and never had an issue, just took it slow when needed and used some common sense.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate everyone's feedback. The only reason I brought this up was because I was hoping I was wrong somewhere (usually am) and the fact that I know someone who daily drives a performance pack 2015 GT, so maybe that would mean there was a flaw in my logic I wasn't seeing.

I've made my decision. I'm going a Focus RS or some sort of 4WD car, and I'll buy a way cheaper New Edge Mustang on the side. Like some of you have said, it is smarter to have that sort of car on the side, and I'll wait until later in my career to go for an expensive side car.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Jig,

I would wait a few years till you save up enough and can afford 2 vehicles (car and truck) make sure however the rest of your $ is in order 1st (home/savings/wife/kids) a few years of savings/delayed gratification is best in the long run. idk how old you are but I waited till I could afford a fun car and for me it was worth it.

.02 worth of advice.

I'm 24 lol so I have a long way to go in life to get the expensive cars. Right now I'm not married, just looking to save up some cash and buy a few juce things here and there. Nothing too special.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Your post reminds me of those email scams that goes:

Dear Sir/Madaam, I am writing to you with the intention of getting you to take $80 million dollars from me because my job as a _____ allows me access. I have three problems... etc...

Sounds to me you're asking us to ok an otherwise impractical decision on your part to purchase a Mustang.

Everything you suggested really points to you purchasing a four wheel drive four door sedan or an SUV or truck.

Would you have a blast driving a mustang? Sure. Would you have a wild *** night blowing $5,000 at a strip club? Sure. Should you? Probably not according to your own concerns.

Whatever your decision good luck. Lol

Haha well I mean, good thing I'm not an email scammer. I just appreciate decent speaking. I didn't want to have some ok a bad decision; rather someone prove me wrong and present all the facts.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

To the OP. If you want a high performance all wheel drive look into a Subaru WRX. I think you can get one fully loaded for a little over $30,000.
BlueBellThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would suggest getting an old 1st or 2nd generation 4Runner with a 4 cylinder engine (late 80s-early 90s) and using that as a work truck. Mod it for off-road use and laugh at the roads and weather. The total cost would probably be 3-4K and you could sell it at any time for about the same money.

1987 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4X4 22R MOTOR 5 SPEED
This is a typical example of what to look for. If the engine and transmission are good, you can't kill it.

Keep the other vehicles in the garage.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
1a. Learn how to drive better in the snow and have appropriate tires for snow. (probably can get a cheap set of take off rims that you can get snow tires put on for winter use)

OR
1b. Get an AWD car for the bad weather.... something used like an older Subaru Outback, good gas mileage and great snow performance.

2. Easy - Get Weathertech floor liners. I have them on all 3 of my cars. The front floor liners go up a few inches on each side & really protect your car well.
I have them in the front & back:

3. See 1b. above.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Tags
2015 mustang