Two sets of tire or one set of All-season? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Two sets of tire or one set of All-season?

Hey guys! I have a 15GT with Performance package, which comes with summer tires. I'm in Ohio and the winter is quite long here, should I buy a set of winter tires or sell my summer tire and have all-season instead? Is it possible to sell the summer tire I have in a good price? I currently have 300 miles on it.
lion0432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 PM   #2

Really?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
jzaphiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
435 HP, Northern state, rear wheel drive. Several months of possible snow or freezing slippery conditions?
Yup all seasons should get you to the body shop in no time. In fact, I bet you even beat me there and I have Canadian air in my tires.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lion0432 View Post
Hey guys! I have a 15GT with Performance package, which comes with summer tires. I'm in Ohio and the winter is quite long here, should I buy a set of winter tires or sell my summer tire and have all-season instead? Is it possible to sell the summer tire I have in a good price? I currently have 300 miles on it.
If you have the money, by another set of wheels, one for summer and the other for winter.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Get a 2nd set of rims and tires, with winter tires.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
If you have the money, by another set of wheels, one for summer and the other for winter.
Can I only change the tire? i'm kind of low in budget..
Old 02-15-2015, 12:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzaphiris View Post
Really?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Do you mean long winter or summer tires?

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-15-2015, 01:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
why would you even consider all seasons? they are garbage. buy winter tires, your insurance company will thank you because you won't get in any accidents. unlike with all seasons where you will slip and slide into whatever happens to be in your way, that is if your car even gets moving. Also hello to spin city if you try to apply any power with all seasons in the summer. never ever buy all seasons.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Man you really need a set of Winter tires. Ohio gets enough Winter weather that all seasons are a little dangerous. Unfortunetly, you didn't plan this ahead before buying the car especially with the 19" PP wheels. You can buy just another set of 19" Winter only tires but that size is pretty pricey.
I don't think you can fit a smaller, 18" wheel over the PP brakes but if you had a standard package model you could.
You even have wider rear tires and wheels than on the front. Your cheapest option is buying 4 Winter 19" tires in the slimmer front size for all four wheels and the tires alone are going to be $260+ each before mounting and balancing.
I drive routinely in NH and I have Winter tires and I'm still careful not to crash...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	175423  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:25 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
If you have snow/icy/slippery conditons, get winter tires & use them!
all-season are NOT for winter driving!!
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I am in CT, and while winter can feel like a lifetime, you do have some options.

First of all you probably did not make the best choice if this is the only car you have access to when it is snowing. The S550 has too much power and is rear wheel drive. Even with winter tires you are going to have a tough time if there is more than a dusting and you live in an area with hills.

All season tires are not all worthless. I have a set of Michelin Sport Pilot AS3 on my 15. They are not cheap ($1250 installed) because of the wheel size and stagger, but I have put about 600 miles on mine this winter with no issues. I have used this tire on other cars and have never had an issue spinning or slipping in the summer, but I also don't beat up my cars and drive pretty responsible.

Hopefully you have a buddy who lives nearby and can give you rides to work on snowy days...otherwise you might be calling out sick.

2015 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
str8edgect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #12
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
This is the first winter I am forced to use my 2013, as the previous 2 winter seasons I had a second car to use. This year I got a deal on a set of blizzaks mounted on a set of CS/GT wheels, which I could only use 2 of the 4 because of the brembo brakes. I left 2 mounted on the CS wheels, and the other 2 tires I moved to my factory wheels. This spring I am purchasing a new set of wheels for warmer months, and selling the CS wheels, and keeping the factory wheels for the Blizzaks.
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Get a 2nd set of rims and tires, with winter tires.
This but get the Blizzak tires.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm failing to see a reason for even owning summer performance tires, as anytime the temps get below 50F the traction will be reduced. Temps below 50F occur about 2/3 of the year in parts of Ohio.

What you really need are winter tires for the snow and stuff, and then all-seasons for all other times, ditching the summer tires completely.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
I'm failing to see a reason for even owning summer performance tires, as anytime the temps get below 50F the traction will be reduced. Temps below 50F occur about 2/3 of the year in parts of Ohio.

What you really need are winter tires for the snow and stuff, and then all-seasons for all other times, ditching the summer tires completely.
Below 40°F. Not 50°F.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Below 40°F. Not 50°F.
Below 50F is where many will have significant reduction in traction, while some tires such as Pirelli don't recommend driving on Summer tires below 40F.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lion0432 View Post
Can I only change the tire? i'm kind of low in budget..
Yes you could but it will be expensive to pay for changing and getting them aligned again.

I kept the all season tires on the rims that came with the car. I am running 18-9/10 on Chrome Bullets.

Don't even run on the all seasons if there is any type of snow or ice on the road.

Good Luck.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have a base GT with the performance package. I don't even have the snow driving mode option unlike the premium. I life in NY and we have been getting a lot of snow this winter. The car is absolutely horrifying driving with the summer tires, even though these are great summer tires. I don't have the budget yet getting new tires, I just put a 80 lb of concrete powder bag in my trunk. On the door panel of your car, it tells you that the Pzero tires are not recommended any temperature below 40 F. I personally will probably get new tires after these wear off and get some top quality all season tires. Or if I have the budget, I will get a set of new wheels with winter tires so it will be way easier to switch them on and off.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jackiegnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316

FYI: all-season tires ARE NOT for winter driving!!!!
use WINTER TIRES!!!

In some places (Quebec), it's illegal to drive without winter tires; also it'll (probably) help with your insurance rates!

(I only have race tires, & can barely move in the driveway lol)
(& I'm too chicken to drive my car in the winter)
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog View Post
FYI: all-season tires ARE NOT for winter driving!!!!
use WINTER TIRES!!!
Ain't that the truth. Driving back to NOVA was a ***** monday. Wheels spun if I tapped the gas. Had to correct it several times, and lost traction at 60. Drifted out of a parking lot too.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Get another set to use as all seasons and keep the summer tires. Just have them swapped at a tire shop and keep the summer tires at home. Then when the weather is good go swap them out again.... You will have to pay for the mounting and balancing each time though.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT