Should I trade my 12 for a 15? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #1

Region: Colorado
Should I trade my 12 for a 15?

I am thinking about trading my 12 gt premium bbp for a 15 gt premium. I love my 12 but I like the options and changes to the 15. Before I decide I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions from other mustang owners who have a 15. What do like/dislike about the new GT's compared to the older models?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BB_12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had a 2007 GT and then a base 2013, before the 2015 GT Premium I have now. I would definitely go for the 2015. I was weary of the new exterior design at first but now really like it. Also, the split rear axle-- there is a road with a big dip in it, that I frequently travel. With both the 07 and 13, the rear would hop into the air. Now with the 2015 you hardly notice it. The other extensive upgrades are in the tech and interior. The is NO COMPARISON between the older interior and the 2015-- everything is upgraded. The MyTouch integration is better. You get blind spot detection adaptive cruise and a bunch of other stuff you don't really need. Here's a picture of mine.

flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with the Flying Dutchman. There is no comparison between the 11-14 GT and the 2015. The handling is spot on, I like to drive hard and my only complaint is the amount of squat in the rear under hard acceleration. I am looking at upgrading the suspension as soon as I get through some of the simple bolt-ons.
str8edgect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8edgect View Post
my only complaint is the amount of squat in the rear under hard acceleration.
This is common in almost all rear-drive cars with IRS.

I've had a 2011, 2012, and 2014, logged a little over 100k miles on S197's before getting my 2015. Here's a short list of notable things after 2-months of 2015 ownership:

- Reduced rear seat leg and headroom requires shorter passengers
- Hood shakes and bulges up a little at high speeds
- Feels like you're sitting higher in relation to dash/door panel
- Car and seating position is slightly lower to the ground
- Seats are a little narrower and firmer
- Rear seat headrests are gone, used them for blocking headlights at night
- Seat belt loop on the side of the front seats is frustrating at times

These are just little quibbles, and none of them make me regret getting a 2015. There is a lot to like about the S550, mainly the improved transmissions, suspension, and drive modes on the Premium models.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
This is something only you can decide.

Anyone can tell you to get the 2015.
Anyone can tell you to keep your 2012.

You need to decide if you really want a different car. If you really want it, Then just go get it. You sure ain't gonna go wrong with a 2015 Mustang GT. They are great looking and drive excellent. But so is the 2012 looking good and driving excellent.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
S550 guys..
How is the suspension over rough roads & the S's? Thank You!
[will get one in a few years..]
2014 V6, Oxford White, Auto, 3.31, AirRaid CAI, MBRP axleback, 18" Motegi Black MR118, Cooper RS3-S's, MPT 93/Perf/Race[Ghost Cam], Steeda Ultra springs, B&R Panhard Bar, Ford Racing strut brace, BMR LCAs, JLT Oil Separator, Kicker 12'' Sealed Sub/300wt. amp, Formula1 70% tint[+windshield]
blowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Traded our '10 for the 2015 and got the 50th Anniversary Edition. I love the wider stance and handles better than the '10 in my opinion.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

irs is great over rough roads. ive had my 2015 gt for 8 weeks now. I suggest get the performance package. everything is tighter.mine is gt premium,6 speed manual, performance package,jlt cai, 3:73 rear, sct tuner, magnaflow competition exhaust. the track apps work great it moves
rickb9ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb9ol View Post
irs is great over rough roads. ive had my 2015 gt for 8 weeks now. I suggest get the performance package. everything is tighter.mine is gt premium,6 speed manual, performance package,jlt cai, 3:73 rear, sct tuner, magnaflow competition exhaust. the track apps work great it moves
Oh yeah, planned on getting the PP. good sounding whip you have. The stock exhaust note not loud enough? [i hear its kinda low]
Hope ecoboost sounds louder...I heard one on the MPT dyno & it was stock and sounded sick!
2014 V6, Oxford White, Auto, 3.31, AirRaid CAI, MBRP axleback, 18" Motegi Black MR118, Cooper RS3-S's, MPT 93/Perf/Race[Ghost Cam], Steeda Ultra springs, B&R Panhard Bar, Ford Racing strut brace, BMR LCAs, JLT Oil Separator, Kicker 12'' Sealed Sub/300wt. amp, Formula1 70% tint[+windshield]
blowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #10

Region: Colorado
Thanks for the input, thinking I'm going to go with the 15. Wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything, once you buy a car you always find something here and there you didn't notice before.

BB_12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Good for you.

Don't forget to post some pictures and a small review on how you like it after you get it.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb9ol View Post

Hi, rick. I also got the GT premium with performance package, I am thinking to have a tuner, just wondering do these drive mode from the factory still work after the tune?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
lion0432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

yes the tuner is set up to download your factory settings at any time , just for warranty circumstances.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Special order your car ! They have higher rebates and will be cheaper! Besides you will get it the way you want.! Takes 4-6 weeks but its worth it. ! Im still waiting 3 more weeks to go 😁😁
v8erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Rick. I got the same exact car as your but with the 50 Years AP. Just curious as to what your average MPG is. Since I've seen GTs say theirs is like 20-25 but mine is 16 mpg at best. Thinking its the rear 3.73
Rico3in1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

If it has the 3.73 its the performance package
Old 03-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If it has the 3.73 its the performance package
Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have a 2013 Gt with some mods and I test drove the new 2015 with some thoughts of my own for what it's worth.
1) I love my car because I purchased mods to get it exactly where I want it,
2) the new car is great but to me it lost some of its edge and personality.
3) my car will be paid off in 2 years the trade off of a new car just isn't worth it
4) I'm reading many 2015 owners are already talking about modding their cars. If that's the case what's the point of getting a new one?

Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

One more thing. I hate the new front end. To me it somehow became less desirable. Again I really liked the overall new package but was slightly let down with the styling

Old 03-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #20

Region: Georgia
The handling is so much better.
The telescoping steering wheel is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
smittybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

The handling is better but no so much if you have the ford racing suspension package.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

id say yes add a tuner. much quicker and smoother, better response. I get on a average 16 -17 mpg and that's running it hard 50% of the time
Old 04-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Of course 15 owners are already talking about modding the cars. Everyone modifies mustangs.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:10 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I can honestly say that this is the most fun I've ever had in a mostly stock car. Even compared to the '14s, the fit and finish, especially the interior, is a night and day difference.

Is it a pure drag race car? No, not with the IRS. IRS is never the way to go if you're purely a drag racer.

Now, is it head and shoulder better handling than a solid axle car in EVERY OTHER situation? YES. You can't beat the IRS ride and handling.

I was REALLY surprised when I test drove this car; it's a lot more refined than I ever expected a Mustang to be. There are no squeaks, rattles, whistles, etc., it's a very solid feeling car compared to any previous Mustang I've been in.

I've never driven a car off the lot and just gone, "Holy crap....this is stock?" until I drove this car. All my other rides, except my '12 Ram 3500, are 900 hp+ and this thing is more fun as a daily, in naturally aspirated form, than any of the others....PERIOD. On the track, not so much, but as my daily I absolutely love getting in this car.

As far as modding the car....HELLO, it's a MUSTANG. It's what you do. You don't buy a car like this to be nice to it.
SilverS550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #25
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

It's nice. My '11 is almost paid for. I can't say I haven't thought about it. It would take something unforeseen for me to trade up because it's not in the cards as of yet.

primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:27 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Save your money and trade for a 2016.

Sakol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
The only one I would trade for would be the gt350 but that is out of my price range unfortunately.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Should I trade my 12 for a 15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverS550 View Post
I can honestly say that this is the most fun I've ever had in a mostly stock car. Even compared to the '14s, the fit and finish, especially the interior, is a night and day difference.

Is it a pure drag race car? No, not with the IRS. IRS is never the way to go if you're purely a drag racer.

Now, is it head and shoulder better handling than a solid axle car in EVERY OTHER situation? YES. You can't beat the IRS ride and handling.

I was REALLY surprised when I test drove this car; it's a lot more refined than I ever expected a Mustang to be. There are no squeaks, rattles, whistles, etc., it's a very solid feeling car compared to any previous Mustang I've been in.

I've never driven a car off the lot and just gone, "Holy crap....this is stock?" until I drove this car. All my other rides, except my '12 Ram 3500, are 900 hp+ and this thing is more fun as a daily, in naturally aspirated form, than any of the others....PERIOD. On the track, not so much, but as my daily I absolutely love getting in this car.

As far as modding the car....HELLO, it's a MUSTANG. It's what you do. You don't buy a car like this to be nice to it.

Have you ever owned a previous 11 through 14 GT? There's absolutely no sqweaks and rattles so I'm not sure what your talking about here. Like I said before the new gt is more refined but it lost some of its edge and I think its looks are lacking. It looks like a fusion which I don't like. I did test drive a new GT and liked it but not better than my modded 13. It's just not worth the extra cost to me personally to get a new one when mine is dialed in perfect for my driving taste. I also think they made the car less desirable because I absolutely cannot get over the front end styling IMO.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
To each their own, but I think the car looks fantastic from front to rear.

Don't get me wrong, I "like" the 10-14's, but they didn't MAKE me want one the first time I saw one.
SilverS550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure it will grow on me. I do like what Ford is doing though making it world class sports gt.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
My only dislike is the nose and lights. Lights more than anything. I did see one here in town with the Pony removed and it looked sharp. I would have to get the dark green color. I will likely never get one for those few reasons, the added weight and the cost to switch. I would deal with the looks for the gt350.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #32

I actually think the whole damn design is sexy as hell. Hard to drop almost $50k on something you dont love though, so I get your point. IMO, the more European lines will appeal to a wider range of customers and maybe convert some of these import junkies who have never experienced the joy of an American Pony Car. But imagine the possibilities. As more body kits and hoods and other exterior aftermarket mods become available, I think this might be one of the most pernalizable Mustangs ever produced, espescially with Fords plans to go world wide with this body style and the smaller powerplants. And with over 400 HP stock in my GT... you cant really go wrong as a daily driver. I smile every time in get in her! Mine is still bone stock (but not for long)and it literally draws a crowd everywhere I go... gas station, car wash, track... everybody wants to see it, sit in it, drive it, experience it. Why do we buy these cars instead of sedans afterall? For the experience! I'm enjoying the hell out of mine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428631113564.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	179600  
Black_Sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I settled for a 2015 v6 and I'm happy I am only 19 so not to bad I still have my older GT. any ideas on improving performance ?

GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT