Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Should I trade my 12 for a 15?

3K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  GoldenCaMuscle 
#1 ·
I am thinking about trading my 12 gt premium bbp for a 15 gt premium. I love my 12 but I like the options and changes to the 15. Before I decide I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions from other mustang owners who have a 15. What do like/dislike about the new GT's compared to the older models?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
I had a 2007 GT and then a base 2013, before the 2015 GT Premium I have now. I would definitely go for the 2015. I was weary of the new exterior design at first but now really like it. Also, the split rear axle-- there is a road with a big dip in it, that I frequently travel. With both the 07 and 13, the rear would hop into the air. Now with the 2015 you hardly notice it. The other extensive upgrades are in the tech and interior. The is NO COMPARISON between the older interior and the 2015-- everything is upgraded. The MyTouch integration is better. You get blind spot detection adaptive cruise and a bunch of other stuff you don't really need. Here's a picture of mine.

#3 ·
I agree with the Flying Dutchman. There is no comparison between the 11-14 GT and the 2015. The handling is spot on, I like to drive hard and my only complaint is the amount of squat in the rear under hard acceleration. I am looking at upgrading the suspension as soon as I get through some of the simple bolt-ons.

#4 ·
my only complaint is the amount of squat in the rear under hard acceleration.
This is common in almost all rear-drive cars with IRS.

I've had a 2011, 2012, and 2014, logged a little over 100k miles on S197's before getting my 2015. Here's a short list of notable things after 2-months of 2015 ownership:

- Reduced rear seat leg and headroom requires shorter passengers
- Hood shakes and bulges up a little at high speeds
- Feels like you're sitting higher in relation to dash/door panel
- Car and seating position is slightly lower to the ground
- Seats are a little narrower and firmer
- Rear seat headrests are gone, used them for blocking headlights at night
- Seat belt loop on the side of the front seats is frustrating at times

These are just little quibbles, and none of them make me regret getting a 2015. There is a lot to like about the S550, mainly the improved transmissions, suspension, and drive modes on the Premium models.

#5 ·
This is something only you can decide.

Anyone can tell you to get the 2015.
Anyone can tell you to keep your 2012.

You need to decide if you really want a different car. If you really want it, Then just go get it. You sure ain't gonna go wrong with a 2015 Mustang GT. They are great looking and drive excellent. But so is the 2012 looking good and driving excellent.
Ronnie

#6 ·
S550 guys..
How is the suspension over rough roads & the S's? Thank You!
[will get one in a few years..]

#8 ·
irs is great over rough roads. ive had my 2015 gt for 8 weeks now. I suggest get the performance package. everything is tighter.mine is gt premium,6 speed manual, performance package,jlt cai, 3:73 rear, sct tuner, magnaflow competition exhaust. the track apps work great it moves

#9 ·
Oh yeah, planned on getting the PP. good sounding whip you have. The stock exhaust note not loud enough? [i hear its kinda low]
Hope ecoboost sounds louder...I heard one on the MPT dyno & it was stock and sounded sick!

#10 ·
Thanks for the input, thinking I'm going to go with the 15. Wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything, once you buy a car you always find something here and there you didn't notice before.

#11 ·
Good for you.

Don't forget to post some pictures and a small review on how you like it after you get it.
Ronnie

#18 ·
I have a 2013 Gt with some mods and I test drove the new 2015 with some thoughts of my own for what it's worth.
1) I love my car because I purchased mods to get it exactly where I want it,
2) the new car is great but to me it lost some of its edge and personality.
3) my car will be paid off in 2 years the trade off of a new car just isn't worth it
4) I'm reading many 2015 owners are already talking about modding their cars. If that's the case what's the point of getting a new one?

#24 ·
I can honestly say that this is the most fun I've ever had in a mostly stock car. Even compared to the '14s, the fit and finish, especially the interior, is a night and day difference.

Is it a pure drag race car? No, not with the IRS. IRS is never the way to go if you're purely a drag racer.

Now, is it head and shoulder better handling than a solid axle car in EVERY OTHER situation? YES. You can't beat the IRS ride and handling.

I was REALLY surprised when I test drove this car; it's a lot more refined than I ever expected a Mustang to be. There are no squeaks, rattles, whistles, etc., it's a very solid feeling car compared to any previous Mustang I've been in.

I've never driven a car off the lot and just gone, "Holy crap....this is stock?" until I drove this car. All my other rides, except my '12 Ram 3500, are 900 hp+ and this thing is more fun as a daily, in naturally aspirated form, than any of the others....PERIOD. On the track, not so much, but as my daily I absolutely love getting in this car.

As far as modding the car....HELLO, it's a MUSTANG. It's what you do. You don't buy a car like this to be nice to it.

#28 ·
Have you ever owned a previous 11 through 14 GT? There's absolutely no sqweaks and rattles so I'm not sure what your talking about here. Like I said before the new gt is more refined but it lost some of its edge and I think its looks are lacking. It looks like a fusion which I don't like. I did test drive a new GT and liked it but not better than my modded 13. It's just not worth the extra cost to me personally to get a new one when mine is dialed in perfect for my driving taste. I also think they made the car less desirable because I absolutely cannot get over the front end styling IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.