tuner? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

tuner?

How many milesshould I put on the car before I get a tuner? I am hearing the X4 is the way to go ;what do you guys think what?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wjlowe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Miles don't really matter when tuning unless you are worried about earranty

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If it's brand new, 1,000 miles is a good break in period. At the same time, some will say "who cares about a break in period?!".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just_A_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I installed mine with a Bama tune and JLT intake at 1500 miles....loving every minute and can't wait to do some data logging to really unlock the car's potential after a few more mods.
str8edgect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlowe111 View Post
How many milesshould I put on the car before I get a tuner? I am hearing the X4 is the way to go ;what do you guys think what?
Hey wjlowe111 - That's a good question and it's really going to come down to what you're comfortable doing. When we received our first pair of 2015's we pulled them off the truck, lit up the rear tires, had them strapped down to our dyno and Bama Performance had their X4 Tuner on them the same day. It's really going to come to personal preference and how quickly you're looking to mod the car. Don't hesitate to let me know if you're to have any questions at all I'm always around to help my Mevo guys out!

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Miles don't really matter when tuning unless you are worried about earranty
Nate - What's a warranty anyhow!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_GT View Post
If it's brand new, 1,000 miles is a good break in period. At the same time, some will say "who cares about a break in period?!".
Agreed - You'll see and hear some people say that the cars are broken in from the factory..I have a little bit of a problem with this as Ford will essentially (To my knowledge and don't quote me on this) put the car on a set of rollers for a baseline along with some emissions to make sure that they can ship them. I think that a solid 500-1000 miles of varying driving is a good place to start doing some modding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8edgect View Post
I installed mine with a Bama tune and JLT intake at 1500 miles....loving every minute and can't wait to do some data logging to really unlock the car's potential after a few more mods.
str8edgect - Hope you're enjoying your X4 Tuner!
I dropped a little something in the mail for you today, enjoy!
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Will ford know about your tune ?? And void your warranty ? What if something breaks down, can i just tune it back to stock and ford wont know ? If i take it for fixing under warranty ??
v8erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You can take the tune off and put back to factory; I heard though they can still tell but who knows

Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

tuner?

does the tune only work on regular drive mode? i read it doesnt work on sport mode...n what about in track mode?
mats96744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Who did the tune?

Old 03-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Whenever you touch the tune in the ECM, it IS traceable. The tune itself isn't seen, but there are several counters in the ECM that get reset each time the ECM is flashed. There is a drive cycle counter, miles driven, # of starts, miles since MIL was cleared, etc....all of these get reset when the ECM is flashed.

If you know what to look for, and they do, it takes 2 seconds to see that the ECM has been flashed. You don't even need a big expensive factory diagnostic tool to do it, just one of the cheap Autozone scanners can see it.
SilverS550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #11
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlowe111 View Post
You can take the tune off and put back to factory; I heard though they can still tell but who knows
wjlowe111 - That's correct - No matter which tune is put onto the car if it's set back to stock and a Ford Technician is looking closely enough they'll be able to see it. At the end of the day it's really going to depend on the dealer where you had it purchased from. Some are going to be much more mod friendly than others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mats96744 View Post
does the tune only work on regular drive mode? i read it doesnt work on sport mode...n what about in track mode?
Hey mats96744that's a great question and the Bama X4 Tuner for example will not have any affect on the drive modes and it's going to focus on more all out performance along with refining the driveabitiy. Ford makes a great product but with some of their automatic transmissions from personal experience they can either be on the lack luster side or just all around unsure of which gear they want to get into. I've found this on their mid-size cars all the way up through a full size truck.

Let me know if you're to have any other questions at all and I'm here to help.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
tuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Agreed - You'll see and hear some people say that the cars are broken in from the factory..I have a little bit of a problem with this as Ford will essentially (To my knowledge and don't quote me on this) put the car on a set of rollers for a baseline along with some emissions to make sure that they can ship them. I think that a solid 500-1000 miles of varying driving is a good place to start!

The break in tests ford (and almost all factories) perform are fairly minimal. They'll start the car at the end of the production line and drive straight to a VERY short "obstacle course" which typically includes a few sharp turns, a few breaking points, and lastly rumble strips to ensure things are tight. It's as simple as that. This is all indoors and located just after the production line ends (maybe 100 yards away). Then they'll drive the car outside and it gets parked until a shipping truck comes to pick it up.

Edit: hence if you pick up your brand new car from the dealership and it supposedly came straight from the factory, but has more than 5 miles on the odometer, you better start asking questions as to why the hell your car has so many miles on it, because 99% of the time it means some jackass took it for a joyride before you showed up.

Just_A_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_GT View Post
The break in tests ford (and almost all factories) perform are fairly minimal. They'll start the car at the end of the production line and drive straight to a VERY short "obstacle course" which typically includes a few sharp turns, a few breaking points, and lastly rumble strips to ensure things are tight. It's as simple as that. This is all indoors and located just after the production line ends (maybe 100 yards away). Then they'll drive the car outside and it gets parked until a shipping truck comes to pick it up.

Edit: hence if you pick up your brand new car from the dealership and it supposedly came straight from the factory, but has more than 5 miles on the odometer, you better start asking questions as to why the hell your car has so many miles on it, because 99% of the time it means some jackass took it for a joyride before you showed up.

Many years ago I worked at a Chevy Dealership. One day the truck dropped off a special order Camero. The new car mechanic took the car to the back lot and lit up the tires from one end to the other. So it's true. Anything over 5 miles means somebody took the car for a spin.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT