Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Root style Supercharger vs Centrifugal Supercharger

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  WhiteCali5oh 
#1 ·
I am looking for a supercharger for my daily driving S550 GT. I love the look of the root style supercharger, but I was told that centrifugal superchargers are more driving friendly since the boost build with the powerband starting at around 3k RPM, whereas the root style supercharger gives good low end torque, meaning that the car will be jumpy driving in traffic because of the instantaneous torque? I live in New York and I need to drive my car in the winter in the snow too. Will the wheel spins even crazier during the winter with a supercharger like Roush compare to Vortech? Anybody has driven both types of supercharger and can give me some help on deciding on this case? Thank you!

#3 ·
Just depends on where you want the power. Also, with a roots style, the more aggressive you get with the pulley, the faster the ramp rate is.

The same with turbos or centrifugal chargers. With turbos, if you go tight on the turbine housing, it comes on fast but you have to gate it sooner and use larger gates. On a centrifugal, it depends on pulley and gear ratio how fast it comes on.

The biggest difference is the response time. A roots is the fastest responding because it doesn't have the handicap of making up additional volume like a centrifugal does and it doesn't have the lag that a turbo does. It makes great low end power, but they usually peter out faster on the top end, which is where the turbo shines.

Again, it depends on where you want your power and how fast you want it come in. This can also be addressed in the tuning. Most of the stuff I tune that is used on the street I try to keep the tuning really mild for the first 50% of the throttle travel, then I ramp in power from 50%-75% travel as this is where you're passing, accelerating, etc., and the top 25% of the pedal is all power.

I daily drove my truck up until is was in the mid 900's for HP and I had zero issues giving the keys to the wife to go to Home Depot, the store, whatever. If you drive like a sane person, you'd never know the power it had. You stab it and the rear end is trying to pass the front.

#4 ·
Since I daily drive this car even in the winter, I just don't want my tires to spin like crazy at low RPM when I drive. I want to have the drive ability that if you don't put your foot down the floor you will never know that the car is boosted.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#5 · (Edited)
You want a turbo then. On the '88 you'd never even know it was boosted until you smash on it. Just need to figure out how much power you actually want to make to size the turbo to your goals.

On the '88 it's an LS swap with 4L80 and a 75/87/1.10 BW. Drives totally tame but on 93 octane and 22 psi it'll put 890 to the tires. You can't run that much boost on the street though, even on the radials. 14 is about all you can run, but that's still high 600's for power.

The nice thing with the turbo is power management is just a twist of the knob away. Need more boost, put more pressure on the gate. Wanna to e it down, loosen up on the gate. The bottom limit on your boost is just limited by the spring weight on your gate.

#7 ·
You ever driven a turbo car? You'd never say that if you had. There are few things that sound sexier than a turbo'd V8.

If you want power NOW, you do the supercharger. If you want it more daily friendly but a killer top end, you go with a turbo.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages, it just determining which is right for your application.

If this doesn't sound like American blood, I don't know what to tell ya....

http://youtu.be/LiNY94CZ94Y

#9 ·
What he said ^

I do agree that a turbo seems like it would be the best choice for you. You will pretty much never know its there until you hit the gas, and don't get concerned about lag. A properly sized and *quality* turbo on a V8 there is pretty much no lag when you punch it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.