Crucial Questions About Gas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Crucial Questions About Gas

Let me start by saying I have a 15 GT Premium with PP
So I usually get 93 octane from Shell only but lately every time I've gone into a store I notice there's broken screens and they can't accept my fuel rewards network car in which I accumulate like $0.20-0.50 cents off offer gallon. I know Shell is a franchise but for God's sake these independent owners are letting their stores fall apart. Don't look as nice as other has stations I've seen.

OK so with that I was wondering what gas stations are you guys loyal to because of their additives to the gas and if they're recommended. And if that gas station company has a rewards card.

Thanks and also wondering if I should use a fuel injection flush to get the old Shell gas our?
Rico3in1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Download the gas buddy app. Pretty helpful. Costco has good gas if you have one around

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I work next to a Costco but they don't have a gas station. Do they add anything to their gas which makes it better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Whenever I can find a place that's has ethanol free gas, that's where I go.
SilverS550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ethanol free Why's that
Old 03-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico3in1 View Post
Ethanol free Why's that
Ethanol is bad for cars over the long run

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Sadly, all the stations I've seen here in VA have 10% ethanol
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Here's a link, Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ethanol free Why's that
There's a few reasons, but really only one that matters for the car....

Ethanol doesn't completely mix with regular fuel and it does separate out over time. When it does it absorbs water and this isn't good for the motor. This is one of the reasons you want ethanol-free gas if you own a boat. Obviously, water isn't good for engine internals (like injectors, fuel pumps, etc.). Ethanol also isn't good for seals. It's dries and cracks rubbers prematurely.

Neither of these is a huge problem if you go through fuel regularly, so don't go out of your way to find ethanol-free gas. But, if you only use the car occassionally and it sits a lot, you'd be wise to find ethanol-free gas to save yourself some headaches.

The other reason is purely political. The whole ethanol thing is pure BS and is nothing but politics here in the US. Making it from corn requires almost as much fuel to produce it as it you actually yield. Burn one gallon of diesel to get one gallon of ethanol.....sounds brilliant to me. It's a lot more efficient in places like Brazil where they make it from sugar cane. In that process it's MUCH cheaper and environmentally feasible. But, we can leave the politics out of it.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:27 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Damn I just checked the list and there's not one in my city. Wtf
Old 03-31-2015, 12:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It's tough to find, usually it's near / at marinas. I just happen to have a station, 2 actually, near my house that sell nothing but ethanol-free.

And don't believe the "ethanol burns cleaner" nonsense. If you know anything about chemistry, there are 2 by-products of ALL internal combustion events, H2O (vapor) and CO2.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yup. Well since I love in a bigger city without those gas stations. What will you recommend because I know some gas station brands add some different things which supposedly clean your engine
Old 03-31-2015, 01:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

What you'll find is that almost no gas station uses any one particular "brand" of gas. Almost all fuels in the US come from pooled resources and are purchased locally from the same vendors. Go to one station in town and you're very likely to get the exact same fuel as you would at a different station in town.

What I look for is how much volume the station does. If the station is always busy, you know there is always fresh fuel in the tanks and they're less likely to have stale / contaminated fuels compared to a smaller station that doesn't move as much product and has it sitting in the tank longer.

The other thing I try to avoid is filling up when I see the tanker delivering fuel. Most folks would think this is a good thing, but if there is any sediment in the storage tank that tanker is going to stir it up when they fill the tanks. Should the filter catch it? Sure, but why chance it. I try to wait at least a few hours if I've seen the tanker at the station.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So Would you say HEB is good gas. HEB is like Kroger or a supermarket
Old 03-31-2015, 03:46 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverS550 View Post
There's a few reasons, but really only one that matters for the car....

Ethanol doesn't completely mix with regular fuel and it does separate out over time. When it does it absorbs water and this isn't good for the motor. This is one of the reasons you want ethanol-free gas if you own a boat. Obviously, water isn't good for engine internals (like injectors, fuel pumps, etc.). Ethanol also isn't good for seals. It's dries and cracks rubbers prematurely.

Neither of these is a huge problem if you go through fuel regularly, so don't go out of your way to find ethanol-free gas. But, if you only use the car occassionally and it sits a lot, you'd be wise to find ethanol-free gas to save yourself some headaches.

The other reason is purely political. The whole ethanol thing is pure BS and is nothing but politics here in the US. Making it from corn requires almost as much fuel to produce it as it you actually yield. Burn one gallon of diesel to get one gallon of ethanol.....sounds brilliant to me. It's a lot more efficient in places like Brazil where they make it from sugar cane. In that process it's MUCH cheaper and environmentally feasible. But, we can leave the politics out of it.
I'll steer clear of the politics of creating ethanol, but add my .02 cents to its use, agreeing with SilverS550's statements. Using ethanol is only an issue if the gas is going to sit in the tank for period of time. If you store your Mustang during winter months, ethanol free fuels would be a wise choice during those months, and/or a fuel additive, but if your driving your car and burn up a tank of gas, 10 to 15% ethanol would not harm your engine. I have a 2007 F150 with over 100K on its odometer; its been running ethanol fuel, and I have no ill effects, no leaking seals, etc. There are many more like myself in this situation. However, my truck is my daily driver, so the fuel does not sit very long in its tank.

Older cars still equipped with a carb do better with ethanol free fuel, as ethanol gas will evaporate quicker when in the bowl of a carb, and cause longer engine cranking times to get the carbs bowl full of gas again to start the engine.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My 2 cents:
If you have 2 cyle engines - use premium. I noticed a difference almost immediately. When done drain the gas from tank and carb. I have an 18 year old Weed Eater that starts every time.
My 2015 GT I use 87 octane Sunoco gas. Why? Because the owner's manual said to use 87 and I'm not tuning it. Not yet. Too new.
I use Marvel Mystery oil and/or Stabil in my cars and lawn equipment. I have a snow thrower that is over 35 years old that will start on one pull. Is it the additives? I don't know for sure but I'm not changing now.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Let me start by saying I have a 15 GT Premium with PP
So I usually get 93 octane from Shell only but lately every time I've gone into a store I notice there's broken screens and they can't accept my fuel rewards network car in which I accumulate like $0.20-0.50 cents off offer gallon. I know Shell is a franchise but for God's sake these independent owners are letting their stores fall apart. Don't look as nice as other has stations I've seen.

OK so with that I was wondering what gas stations are you guys loyal to because of their additives to the gas and if they're recommended. And if that gas station company has a rewards card.

Thanks and also wondering if I should use a fuel injection flush to get the old Shell gas our?
As far as additives, Top tier gas stations have more detergents than required by the feds.
Top Tier Gasoline

I may be missing something, but why do you want to get the old Shell gas out?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I Dont know. Lol is doing any form of fuel cleaning good
Old 05-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hello again guys. So I just wanted to revisit this topic because as a Shell customer for a long time and now trying ExxonMobil for the last 3 fillups I am noticing that my car studders a lot on the low gears 1-2 when traveling below 10mph where as before it never did that. Have any of you guys noticed any difference in gasolines. I use premium all the time since I got the car except for the unleaded tank that the dealer first filled it up with
Old 05-16-2015, 06:38 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I use regular Sunaco, and I add a measure of Marvel Mystery Oil at fill-up. I tried premium and noticed a slight tick in mileage, and no difference in output. I don't race so my post may be meaningless.
I use Marvel to clean and lube the top end. I use it in all my motors, and I was a skeptic. But they all still purr and start right up even after prolonged storage. Does it work? I do believe it does.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
As was previously mentioned, try running Top Tier gas (which exxon is) It could just be you got a not great tank or perhaps your car just doesn't like it.

I pretty much stick to Shell or BP when I stay local because there's plenty of both. On the road I'll put anything top tier in, unless I just cant find it.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I have 15 GT Premium with Performance Package. So I just thought about the fact that maybe the gas station I went to doesn't sell much gas in premium so when I got mine it wasn't good. Idk. Just throwing ideas out there. Anyone know more about this
Old 05-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
My 2 cents:
If you have 2 cyle engines - use premium. I noticed a difference almost immediately. When done drain the gas from tank and carb. I have an 18 year old Weed Eater that starts every time.
My 2015 GT I use 87 octane Sunoco gas. Why? Because the owner's manual said to use 87 and I'm not tuning it. Not yet. Too new.
I use Marvel Mystery oil and/or Stabil in my cars and lawn equipment. I have a snow thrower that is over 35 years old that will start on one pull. Is it the additives? I don't know for sure but I'm not changing now.

You get better gas mileage with 93 octane and better performance

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wjlowe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

As usual

BUCKO IS CORRECT

Ethanol is what gives the gas the octane. It will not harm the cars engine or any part of the fuel system at all.
*********************************BUT*************************************************
If you are going to store your car or do not drive it much, Then try to find some ethanol free gas. Of course it costs more because when they leave an expensive ingredient out of anything they just gotta charge more.
Sta-bil makes an additive for people using ethanol and storing the car that will help keeping the moisture away. It is the ethanol that absorbs the moisture that causes the problems.
***************************************or**********************************************
You can use Marvel Mystery Oil like scurfie just said . That way all the sludge the Marvel Mystery Oil builds up in your engine may or may not absorb some of the moisture. At least the sludge will allow the engine to run a little quieter.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlowe111 View Post
You get better gas mileage with 93 octane and better performance

Why does Ford print in the owner's manual to use 87 octane? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I am really puzzeled by that.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You can use any octane 87 and higher

They suggest 87 octane because it is cheaper and the difference in your engine without modification is almost "NIL"
I tried 93 and I did not get any better mileage and my car did not feel more powerful. All I did was waste money.
I turned my 13.366 quarter using B.J.'s 87 octane, I got my 29 MPG on my trip using 87 octane.
If you want to use 93 or 89 or 91 Octane it is fine. Just use good gas such as Shell, Texaco, Sunoco, Marathon ETC. from a clean busy station.
I'll just stick to 87 Octane and save about 50 cents a gallon.
I Do "NOT" have a tune If I did ever tune my car I then would go for a 93 octane tune because the tune would really increase the timing and add a lot of performance to the engine.
I personally have no problems saving $$$$ using 87 octane B.J.'s gas where I save ten cents a gallon using my BJ reward master card.
My Mustang runs great.
Ronnie
Old 05-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
They suggest 87 octane because it is cheaper and the difference in your engine without modification is almost "NIL"
I tried 93 and I did not get any better mileage and my car did not feel more powerful. All I did was waste money.
I turned my 13.366 quarter using B.J.'s 87 octane, I got my 29 MPG on my trip using 87 octane.
If you want to use 93 or 89 or 91 Octane it is fine. Just use good gas such as Shell, Texaco, Sunoco, Marathon ETC. from a clean busy station.
I'll just stick to 87 Octane and save about 50 cents a gallon.
I Do "NOT" have a tune If I did ever tune my car I then would go for a 93 octane tune because the tune would really increase the timing and add a lot of performance to the engine.
I personally have no problems saving $$$$ using 87 octane B.J.'s gas where I save ten cents a gallon using my BJ reward master card.
My Mustang runs great.
Ronnie
I'm not tuning my motor simply because of the loss of the factory warranty. My 2015 is plenty fast enough, and with the top down anything over 90 is brutal!
Old 05-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I use 93 shell and have never had an issue. I decide to only use shell after I had a long conversation with a family friend that is a chemist for shell here in Houston. A lot of good reasons and science behind it, much more than I can explain, but like I said it's all I use and never have had an issue. ( stock and tuned)

cboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboyd View Post
I use 93 shell and have never had an issue. I decide to only use shell after I had a long conversation with a family friend that is a chemist for shell here in Houston. A lot of good reasons and science behind it, much more than I can explain, but like I said it's all I use and never have had an issue. ( stock and tuned)

If there was a Shell station near me I would use Shell. We have a bunch of non branded gas stations and Sunoco. So I use Sunoco exclusively.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You sir are using very good gas

Sunoco is one of the best. They use it at Daytona Racetrack exclusively.
Ronnie
Old 05-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
Why does Ford print in the owner's manual to use 87 octane? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I am really puzzeled by that.
Ford doesn't suggest 87 for the GT. Which this section is about.

Regardless, all of the engines in the mustang can use 87+ because of knock sensors and timing retardation so that the engine doesn't start knocking.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

3.7 only for 87 octane

You sure want to use 93 in a GT.
You can use the 87 but the car won't run like it should.

Good catch Mr. mustangz

Ronnie
Old 05-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

So if I have the GT PP did you suggest just using 87 octane. Long term is the larger octane better for the car?
Old 05-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Ford doesn't suggest 87 for the GT. Which this section is about.

Regardless, all of the engines in the mustang can use 87+ because of knock sensors and timing retardation so that the engine doesn't start knocking.
From the owner's manual:
2.3L EcoBoost and 5.0L V8 Engines
We recommend regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some stations offer fuels posted as regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. We do not recommend fuels with an octane rating below 87. To provide improved performance, we recommend premium fuel for severe duty usage, such as trailer tow.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

What's the (R+M)/2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT