GT Stock Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
GT Stock Exhaust

I took out the resonator, replaced it with the Ford Racing X pipe. I was looking at the stock mufflers and I noticed that they were straight through. My question, has any one dyno tested a GT with the X pipe and standard mufflers, and then with Ford racing or another brand of mufflers? The reason I'm asking is, the straight through standard exhaust should have very little back pressure, or am I wrong about that?
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
It's not just about being a straight through design. You have to take into consideration the sound pulses as part of it. Sound is simply energy that you can hear. You can pass it along, you can try to cancel it, you can absorb it.....anything other that just letting it pass freely will cause a disturbance in the system.

If you try to absorb it, you generally slow the flow. (Most glass packed mufflers)

If you try to cancel it, you have use something that has an off setting frequency against it and this disturbs the pulse. (Flowmaster type mufflers)

The magnitude of the disturbance will cause some pressure against the exhaust flow. Also, pipe diameter, length of bends, radius of bends, etc., all play a part.
SilverS550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverS550 View Post
It's not just about being a straight through design. You have to take into consideration the sound pulses as part of it. Sound is simply energy that you can hear. You can pass it along, you can try to cancel it, you can absorb it.....anything other that just letting it pass freely will cause a disturbance in the system.

If you try to absorb it, you generally slow the flow. (Most glass packed mufflers)

If you try to cancel it, you have use something that has an off setting frequency against it and this disturbs the pulse. (Flowmaster type mufflers)

The magnitude of the disturbance will cause some pressure against the exhaust flow. Also, pipe diameter, length of bends, radius of bends, etc., all play a part.
Thank you. That makes sense.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust