So you returned it to stock, huh? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
So you returned it to stock, huh?

Okay, this isn't meant to scare anyone, but there is a misconception among folks that may not be real computer savvy that simply returning the vehicle back to stock erases all signs that there may have been a tune on the car. This is NOT TRUE....AT ALL....DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE.

You don't even need a dealer scan tool or even a good Snap-On scanner to see that the ECM has been messed with. ANYTHING you do to a computer can be found....PERIOD.

This is just a few dead give-aways with my little cheap AutoZone scanner that I loan out to "friends"....

This first shot is just the log of how many miles the vehicle has been driven since the MIL was cleared. Think, "I burned a piston and I'll set it back to stock...." Well, how come there are no real miles showing on a car with 2800 miles on it? Lightbulb!

Or, how about the number of trips since the MIL was cleared? ALL tuners reset the MIL each time they flash the car. Think, "I fragged the trans and I set it back to stock...." Lightbulb!

Now, how come there are only 3 drive cycles on the car, but there are 88 key counts stored in the ECM? Lightbulb!

This is just a few things that you can see with even a cheap scanner. There are other things in there also that do not get reset and are in the read-only area of the ECM's memory.....like the flash counter, that records each time the ECM has been flashed. If the car hasn't been to the dealer since you bought it and that counter shows 13 flashes...... you guessed it, LIGHTBULB!

So, don't believe it when ANYONE tells you that a tune tool leaves no trace in your ECM when set back to stock. It's simply not true.

'15 GT, SCT, JLT, Magnaflow, Steeda, 20x10's w/ 275/35/20 Nitto 555's
SilverS550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
And?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Meaning if you're worried about your warranty and think you're gonna sneak one by if you tear something up, think twice. Some folks don't seem to understand that "returned to stock" doesn't mean it's invisible.

ANY failure, ANYWHERE in the driveline can be attributed to added power....

Fry the clutch?....tough you added power
Blow a half shaft?....tough you added power
Fry an automatic?....tough you added power

You play, you pay. Pretty simple.

If you're not prepared to be your own warranty station, don't be fooled into thinking that Ford can't see that you've messed with the ECM. Remember, non-warranty work pays a lot better than warranty work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverS550 View Post
Meaning if you're worried about your warranty and think you're gonna sneak one by if you tear something up, think twice. Some folks don't seem to understand that "returned to stock" doesn't mean it's invisible.

You play, you pay. Pretty simple.
Most people around here are pretty quick to shoot down people who think returning to stock is a magical fix all lol
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately, not all folks know better. They see things advertised as "leaves no footprint" and think no one will see it.

Now, if you tune the car and your power seats stop working is that because of the tuner? Of course not amd no one could deny you warranty coverage for that. But, blow a head hasket, melt a piston, bend a rod.....if there's a trace of a tuner, you better be ready to eat it.

The other problem is this......sometimes trying to hide it causes further issues when someone is trying to diagnose a problem. You wouldn't believe the number of times you'll hear folks complain of performance / driveability issues and they'll swear up and down that they never tuned the car. Pull out the scan tool and show them the truth and the story changes real quick....."Well, uhh, ya see, it started when......" Yeah, pay up.

I did a cam job for a guy and the truck ran fantastic. Couple days later he calls me up flipping out that the truck is running like crap, wants the cam taken out, wants his money back, etc. I asked him flat out was he trying to self tune and he swore he had it tuned "by a guy". Yeah, okay, put a stock tune on the truck and it ran perfect. Put one of my tunes on the truck and it ran like a raped ape. Put HIS tune on the truck and it was a hot, smokey mess. Tell me the truth and I'll work with ya. Tell me a BS story and you'll be footing a bigger bill.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Isn't there an option during an sct flash that gives you an option to clear codes or is it by default? Crazy thing is ford should build more reliable motors as well. Seems like many people are scared to do simple mods on this platform but with other makes, less people share that same fear. Anyhow, good info. Thanks for posting.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Isn't there an option during an sct flash that gives you an option to clear codes or is it by default? Crazy thing is ford should build more reliable motors as well. Seems like many people are scared to do simple mods on this platform but with other makes, less people share that same fear. Anyhow, good info. Thanks for posting.
I think 435HP from a stock 4.9L motor with a full warranty is pretty good, considering what you are getting and the price.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
I think 435HP from a stock 4.9L motor with a full warranty is pretty good, considering what you are getting and the price.
That's true; however, from a volumetric efficiency standpoint, others have done even better with better reliability.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
So a good post I would like to hear from everyone who has been turned down because of a tune from a dealer. Also any engine problems from a good save tune from Bama or Lund or any other top tuners.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
This is also real good advice when looking to buy something used. Take a scan tool with you. If it is a mint condition "bone stock" car with 20k miles on it and you see some of the stuff Silver is mentioning in your scan tool then there is a good chance the person had mods and a tune on the car and "returned it to stock" to sell it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
This is also real good advice when looking to buy something used. Take a scan tool with you. If it is a mint condition "bone stock" car with 20k miles on it and you see some of the stuff Silver is mentioning in your scan tool then there is a good chance the person had mods and a tune on the car and "returned it to stock" to sell it.

+1...my friend tuned his car, and drove the crap out of it and he started getting some bad knocking and he was denied a warranty claim so he traded the car in to the same dealership with the tune still on it. They sold the car in two weeks and the new owner is probably going to have warranty issues as well. After what ive seen, I would never buy a used 5.0.

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
+1...my friend tuned his car, and drove the crap out of it and he started getting some bad knocking and he was denied a warranty claim so he traded the car in to the same dealership with the tune still on it. They sold the car in two weeks and the new owner is probably going to have warranty issues as well. After what ive seen, I would never buy a used 5.0.

Nah, you can buy a used one but I'd never buy a used one from a dealer unless it was literally bone *** stock and the scan tool confirmed it had not ever been tuned.

If I was going to buy one that even looked like it had been modified it would have to be from a private party, preferably from someone who was a member of a bigger forum where I could go back and look at their threads/posts on the car and get some sort of a feel as to whether they are "5.Bro" or not.

I mean even when I was banging around looking for my next Mustang before I got my 98 I saw a couple real good looking ones at dealers but they had AM rims, billet everywhere in the interior, HIDs in stock housings and other stuff which=run like hell.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT